Dynadot

registrars GoDaddy wins The Verge's 2020 award for most evil company email

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

BradWilson

Established Member
Impact
You either love Godaddy or hate them and I've been known to slip and call them GoCrappy so I guess it's obvious I'm not a fan but this report totally confirms it...

Godaddy sucks!

GoDaddy wins our 2020 award for most evil company email

The domain registrar tricked employees into thinking they earned a bonus

What’s the cruelest prank you can make on employees who are struggling during a global pandemic when millions of people have lost their jobs or lives? GoDaddy — a web domain registrar once best known for its sexist advertisements — tried to find out when it sent employees a fake email informing them they’d receive a $650 holiday bonus.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Intention, good.

Writing about fake bonus, bad.

•••
its ridiculous to love or hate registrars...same as loving or hating domains... we do this to make some sales... it's not a personal or emotional thing... that being said anyone who does use gd auctions to sell domains..
cause they are the biggest opportunity to sell around... is basically insane.
not to mention buying opportunities too.

so stop loving or hating gd or others.. they see u as a biz only... do the same.

•••
The main drawback with Godaddy is that it is an entity which is soaking in Problem of Plenty. Believe me, Godaddy damn cares about its clients because it is market leader. Godaddy do not try to fix its issues, you try hundred times, and they will reply you the same reply hundred times. So much arrogance of supremacy thereby ignoring their own faults. Last year I had around more than 200 names at Godaddy, but as and when the domains nears expiry date, I transferred them out to other friendly registrars, now I have only 50 names and that also will be eventually transferred out.

Last edited:
•••
its ridiculous to love or hate registrars...same as loving or hating domains... we do this to make some sales... it's not a personal or emotional thing... that being said anyone who does use gd auctions to sell domains..
cause they are the biggest opportunity to sell around... is basically insane.
not to mention buying opportunities too.

so stop loving or hating gd or others.. they see u as a biz only... do the same.
Maybe you missed that I was using love/hate as a figure of speech: a word or phrase used in a non-literal sense for rhetorical or vivid effect.

Last edited:
•••
i have one name left there... rest are at networksolutions, namesilo and epik.

Only reason its still there is because I registered it there.

Last edited:
•••
hustle_quotes_motivation_I-don’t-pay-good-wages-because-878x1024.jpg

•••
once best known for its sexist advertisements

:xf.laugh: by snowflakes... Snowflakes that probably weren't even old enough to be offended at the time. :bag:

•••
•••
•••
In case anyone has forgotten...
Yeah, also this. NetSol :)

On a more serious note, GD has more or less adequate e-mail security in place. Their system adds a warning "this email is from external sender" to incoming emails (to @ godaddy .com), if the email is indeed not local/internal. I noticed this while reading routine responses, my emails quoted by GD employees had this wording added. So, playing with new year bonus mails (a security training) is simply illogical. I'm not in U.S., so I'm unsure how much is $650 in this (holiday bonus) context, but, actually, the issue has nothing to do with the amount, be it $50 or $5,000 - an outcome would be the same (negative). And it may (indirectly) affect us the customers...

Last edited:
•••
This is about the ultimate security test, above one's self interest, the same people knocking it will be the first to cry when their domains are gone. Sometimes you have to go to extremes to educate the one's who are not following protocol. Think about how many scams this exercise saved.

•••
Think about how many scams this exercise saved.
Maybe but think about how many existing and potential customers they will lose after seeing how poorly they treat their own employees. Smh this is just sad very sad.

Last edited:
•••
On a more serious note, GD has more or less adequate e-mail security in place.
With that comment let me give a brief example of my own experience with how BAD their email system is or more precisely was because it may have improved.

I was the lead programmer for a best selling author about 12 years ago. The author I worked for partnered with another author who was launching a new book. This other author sent out an email to all his million plus list and because his domain was with Gocrappy :) ALL the emails were blocked as spam because Gocrappy didn't use proper email protocols and he lost millions of dollars as a result.

•••
I was the lead programmer for a best selling author about 12 years ago. The author I worked for partnered with another author who was launching a new book. This other author sent out an email to all his million plus list and because his domain was with Gocrappy :) ALL the emails were blocked as spam because Gocrappy didn't use proper email protocols and he lost millions of dollars as a result.
According to emails I have (the headers), GoDaddy is not using Godaddy for emails. Their employees are using microsoft-based Office 365 :) / to/from @ GoDaddy .com email addresses/

Last edited:
•••
According to emails I have (the headers), GoDaddy is not using Godaddy for emails. Their employees are using microsoft-based Office 365 :) / to/from @ GoDaddy .com email addresses/
Okay, the real question to be answered is this the same for their customers domains?

As I recall, the issue was bad IP addresses given to customers domains that were lumped in with known spammers. So as a customer you just never knew if you got a good IP or not.

Last edited:
•••
And as a web developer myself, I totally agree with the following article and I have also tried very hard to avoid dealing with GoDaddy on any projects I worked on.

GoDaddy is a Technical Nightmare

•••
•••
•••
Last edited:
•••
Apology from GoDaddy? Forget it, they will windup their business rather than tendering an apology. As far as their stance is they MAKE NO MISTAKE.

•••
I saw this a while ago, I don't understand people who still like Godaddy

•••
To be fair, virtually every other company blocks email attachments. Being able to send Godaddy reps an attachment solved a few problems over the years.

Also, if you "love or hate Godaddy" you're doing it wrong. Doing biz with GD once made sense, for this domainer, but now it does'nt. What's love got to do with it?

Because the name itself: GoDADDY, is a 'sexist' brand... the old (macho) ad campaign themes of sex, patriotism, motorcycles, etc. are still producing more buzz / 'branding' than the new campaigns.

•••
To be fair, virtually every other company blocks email attachments. Being able to send Godaddy reps an attachment solved a few problems over the years.

Also, if you "love or hate Godaddy" you're doing it wrong. Doing biz with GD once made sense, for this domainer, but now it does'nt. What's love got to do with it?

Because the name itself: GoDADDY, is a 'sexist' brand... the old (macho) ad campaign themes of sex, patriotism, motorcycles, etc. are still producing more buzz / 'branding' than the new campaigns.
Guess you also missed my previous reply to a similar comment...
Maybe you missed that I was using love/hate as a figure of speech: a word or phrase used in a non-literal sense for rhetorical or vivid effect.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back