Domain Empire

GoDaddy vs Flippa, for selling domain ?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

chuckworries

Established Member
Impact
which site is better for selling domain ?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
There are many things to think about before choosing a marketplace on which to sell a domain name. How valuable is the name? How long have you had the name? Have you tried outbound marketing yet?

•••
•••
Aaaaah - now that's the question, isn't it? Depends on the domain name as well. My advice is whenever you register a domain name, you should first think about how that name could be used for an online business. You want to do keyword searches to find how valuable your prospective domain name is. Through that, you may find companies that use a similar keyword but don't have a good of a domain name as the one you are thinking about registering. Visit those websites and copy down the contact emails. You can also search through Google under the name itself and see what similar websites come up. Do these have good domain names? Are there other businesses that may be advertising on these sites that could also benefit with a better name? Visit these sites, copy down contact emails as well. Through this you should have a number of contact emails.

Then, when you are ready, craft a well-worded email and send - individual - emails to each of your contacts.

There are many other ways to do outbound that have been discussed here on NP.

Good luck!

•••

Thank you for the advice. I would never think that a company would just change its name like that. Maybe if they are new, but if they were established, I would never think to contact them.

I have a couple of niche ones and I might try to follow your advice.

•••
•••
I would never think that a company would just change its name like that. Maybe if they are new, but if they were established, I would never think to contact them.
They probably would not change their name, but they would use it to redirect visitors to their page.

•••
They probably would not change their name, but they would use it to redirect visitors to their page.

I don't mean if their name is in a different extension, I mean if their name uses different words.

•••
I don't mean if their name is in a different extension, I mean if their name uses different words.
I know.
e.g. If you own a crypto (it's hot now) exchange service named 'keyword' and you operate on domain 'keyword'.extension you would also like to have an generic keyword domain that will gain additional visitors/users to your business. So you would also like to own name like cryptoexchange.extension which is a generic describe of the services you offer, and when someone search for crypto exchange it would lead them to your 'keyword' page.

Just want to show you an additional way to use a generic keyword(s) domain. And that is one way how to find end-users.

Plus - you can use social networks to promote your domains. Just use proper hashtags.

•••
Apparently GoDaddy and flippa are important sites since no one wanted to single out one.

•••
which site is better for selling domain ?
IMO Godaddy has higher volume and more sales. Flippa has higher end sales for top quality domains.
With that being said, if you have so so quality domain, I would put it on GD with a reasonable buy now price and it would sell faster than putting it at a lower price on flippa. People aren't typing in domains on flippa at the rate they do on GD. So when someone types your domain name in on GD and it pops up Available with a reasonable Buy Now Price, impulse buyers will buy. This is just my experience. There are Tons of more experienced domainers on here that might give you better advice than me.
Good Luck

•••
My 2 cents: I tried flippa for a 3 letter .io just a couple of weeks ago... 12 visits total over 14 days. 2 watchers, 1 was myself. Ended in no sale. Thankfully it was via a free listing code. I'd never spend $9 there otherwise.

Conversely, I've sold plenty through GoDaddy Auctions, one through premium listing, and one through inbound make-an-offer for which I didnt even have the name for sale.

The marketing push, on my end, was exactly the same for both: nothing.

Last edited:
•••
My 2 cents: I tried flippa for a 3 letter .io just a couple of weeks ago... 12 visits total over 14 days. Thankfully it was via a free listing code. I'd never spend $9 there otherwise. I've sold plenty through GoDaddy and the marketing push on my end was exactly the same: nothing.
I agree. I get a lot of sales through GD on lower priced domains. I have never got an offer for a high priced domain name. I've got offers through other venues but my experience with GD is, if they like the name they buy it. If they think it is to high they just move on. No lower offer, just move on.

•••
godaddy is on top of all lists.. being most popular, having most users etc..

flippa is at bottom.

so you're question is not even close and is comparing two extremes. :)

and then in the middle you have things like sedo.. .afternic..

cheers.
gl

•••
Lots of good responses to the OP @chuckworries . I would like to add that GD and Flippa are certainly not the only two choices. Among others that I would consider:
  • Sedo if it is a mid to high value name so that the minimum commission is not too much of the total price - they have more listings, and a lot of the sales, and a lot of people looking for quality domains go there.
  • Undeveloped is much smaller but is growing fast, has fantastic responsive people, super reasonable commission structure. I really think they will increasingly be the place. Their landers are very nice, so your domains look professional.
  • Efty You will need to direct the traffic there (or people be looking for your exact name), and do the sales mechanics yourself, but there is no commission (but a monthly charge after the trial). The interface is very slick, and if you have many domains a great tool for staying in charge of your portfolio.
  • Registrar Markets Especially if you get to selling some names very inexpensively, the marketplaces run by registrars like Namesilo and Namecheap are easy to use, have very reasonable rates, and a great transfer process. At least for me only low value domains seem to sell, but for those it is a great venu.
Best of luck with your domain names!

•••
Flippa for selling domains. Wow. Just wow. Search doesn't include domains in results because by default domain is not selected as an asset in search filter settings. Like wtf? WTF?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back