IT.COM

information GoDaddy to increase closeout starting prices to $50

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Godaddy will be increasing their starting price of closeouts to $50. The pricing structure will go as follows:

Day 1: $50

Day 2: $40

Day 3: $30

Day 4: $11

Day 5: $5

This news is causing a stir in the industry and some are pretty upset. You can read in more detail about the price increase here, courtesy of domainnamewire - GoDaddy to change closeout auction pricing - Domain Name Wire | Domain Name News

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I think godaddy is just trying to exploit the fact that hugenames will buy at whatever price anyways, so why not take advantage? closeouts have taken a dive in quality the past couple years, there was the backorder loophole and other weird stuff happening a year or two ago. So far I see no increase in quality in closeouts so if you still want them, pay more for the same leftovers or hope they will still be there when the price drops. Hugenames has ruined pending delete and godaddy auctions, closeouts. whats next? Whats left?

•••
Perhaps now they can use this long-needed cash infusion to upgrade Afternic.

Or at least deliver Closeouts instantly, instead of 5 days to never.

Last edited:
•••
Back to the API thing...do current API users pay a fee it? If not, then I don't understand why they don't just scrap it

•••
well, i'm looking through tower... nothing in quality is significantly different.

some "maybe good" names i'm seeing.. but yeah... the $50 price tag is NOT affecting anything whatsoever lol :tightlyclosedeyes:

...well i mean, it's affecting my made up decision NOT to buy anything unless it's holy or something lol

•••
Is there a way to know how many names are being purchased at each price level in closeouts?

•••
Works for me, but I guess not for everyone.

The previous version has been great for me but since this change went to effect I've found better alternatives. I would still participate in auctions but no closeouts for me.

Last edited:
•••
This change has actually made me buy more. I've started buying consistently after the change has implemented. So it depends. I didn't expect I would do this but life is always a surprise.

The change raised the price barrier a lot. So now I can find significantly better names; which I'm okay to pay for at that higher price. Previously they were bought quick so i was left with not much worth it. It also obviously makes GD richer, that's the downside.

This move, I think, favors those with a larger budget, willing to pay more for domains that they are definitely sure will sell for an overall profit.

It's much more risky now; if you're not 100% sure what you can sell and how much for. So many domainers have moved out of closeouts - and I definitely understand that.

Good point.

I thank this move for one thing that It opened my eyes to explore the market better and try other options.

I know what's in there, Finding names that are worth paying $50 + renewal is a rare case and wouldn't worth the time ( talking about what works for me )

Probably buying via auctions is still an option but the biggest problem is the time shift between them not allowing to scour the whole inventory at a time.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back