NameSilo

information GoDaddy to increase closeout starting prices to $50

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Godaddy will be increasing their starting price of closeouts to $50. The pricing structure will go as follows:

Day 1: $50

Day 2: $40

Day 3: $30

Day 4: $11

Day 5: $5

This news is causing a stir in the industry and some are pretty upset. You can read in more detail about the price increase here, courtesy of domainnamewire - GoDaddy to change closeout auction pricing - Domain Name Wire | Domain Name News

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
•••
@Hugedomains @GoDaddy

Thought I'd share another result of monopoly greed and need for never ending growth

For every action there is a reaction. But at what level are those at the top suppose to be content ?

Never in this sad world.

I am a Canadian living in the Philippines , I have a strategy that I take no profit from and have struggling third world hard working individuals create an income. This is dead now. Hugedomains is now registering abstract misspelled domains with low value from pending delete. This started Feb 2.

The strategy requires research and outbound . The domains only hold value to one entity and research is needed to avoid the numerous trademark risk registrations within these lists.

Hugedomains is now taking any and all. These domains are always under 1500 or 1k gd valuation , often abstract spelling of no valuable keywords and they are listing them for make offer or under 2k bin.

Congratulations Big Companies. Be proud.

Last edited:
•••
I didn't and not willing to buy a single closeout name since this change went to effect, Wondering how things are working with GoDaddy and the community.

•••
I didn't and not willing to buy a single closeout name since this change went to effect, Wondering how things are working with GoDaddy and the community.

Works for me, but I guess not for everyone.

•••
Godaddy will be increasing their starting price of closeouts to $50. The pricing structure will go as follows:

Day 1: $50

Day 2: $40

Day 3: $30

Day 4: $11

Day 5: $5

This news is causing a stir in the industry and some are pretty upset. You can read in more detail about the price increase here, courtesy of domainnamewire - GoDaddy to change closeout auction pricing - Domain Name Wire | Domain Name News

Cool. Then I'm done with this.

Bottom of the barrel, already pricey before their increase. No thanks.

Last edited:
•••
interesting pricing strategy why $11 why not $10?

•••
GoDaddy stock was $25 four years ago. It is $85 now. GD stockholders couldn't care less if a domainer on Namepros cries about Closeout price on GD Auctions. Only thing they are interested in is how many dollars they earned in these 4 years. On each invested dollar they earned more than $3.
That focus will bring them to the ground

•••
Or mentality I should say

•••
Stock market as a whole in the technology sector is up quite a bit across the board. They are the 800lb gorilla in their space, and they are riding that wave.
I didn’t even know GoDaddy was publicly traded ..the foundation is the company it self before the stock ...

•••
If you want to invest in invisible companies there is a lot of companies on blockchain that have some crazy goals

Last edited:
•••
I personally feel they increased the prices a bit too much. I think a $10 or $15 increase would be more understandable and reasonable but this is almost a 5x increase which is a bit too much imo. If I buy domains from closeouts, it would generally be in bulk but this changes things.

•••
They have already announced that auction membership fee is now approximately double the old price. However, those who do not let their auction membership lapse, can renew at old price I believe (thread somewhere on NamePros that Joe S said that).

Wasn't that the DDC price?

•••
•••
but the API still has the advanatge as the first to pay the $50, so nothings changes to solve the probelm we cared about..
yet.

I hope it forshadows a more access to API.

@Joe Styler we still need to spend 5 to 6 figures GD monthly to get API?

Last edited:
•••
It's the natural order of things. Become monopolist -> raise prices -> people leave -> stop being a monopolist.

People don't leave (edit:domains buying) cause they have an unexplained hope that they'll make good money from it someday.

Last edited:
•••
If it is worth $50 : I'll pay $50. Not that high for antedrop.

But I don't see any thing good dropping to $5, $11 will be the trigger pull :( . If, if this is not a trend that they have foreseen and the aftermarket across the board is going up up up.

I just have issues with the whole idea. These are not GD's names; these are customer's names that for whatever reason (death) didn't get renewed. GD should be happy with just the renew price.

... why am I worried afternic is going to 30% - 35% soon?

•••
If it is worth $50 : I'll pay $50. Not that high for antedrop.

But I don't see any thing good dropping to $5, $11 will be the trigger pull :( . If, if this is not a trend that they have foreseen and the aftermarket across the board is going up up up.

I just have issues with the whole idea. These are not GD's names; these are customer's names that for whatever reason (death) didn't get renewed. GD should be happy with just the renew price.

... why am I worried afternic is going to 30% - 35% soon?

i agree with you 110%, and they should be giving the money to the previous owners

where I'm from, if a house is power-of-sale, forclosure, etc - and the house is sold by the bank - the bank is allowed to take any fee's from it - but they must (if anything is left) give anything above that to the previous owners

not much of a difference with GD auctioning of expired names

Last edited:
•••
i agree with you 110%, and they should be giving the money to the previous owners

where I'm from, if a house is power-of-sale, forclosure, etc - and the house is sold by the bank - the bank is allowed to take any fee's from it - but they must (if anything is left) give anything above that to the previous owners

not much of a difference with GD auctioning of expired names

Well there is a difference, you technically never own a domain name and on top of that when you fail to pay the renewal for the right to lease that domain name, you really have no rights.

•••
GD Auctions hasn't been a level playing field for small time investors for several years. I gave up going after closeouts years ago mostly after HD (and other big investment firms) came into the space and left us with garbage. They already use their API bots to go after what they want during the GD auction phase. One guess of raising prices is simply demand. I've seen from bidding that there are far more bidders today than a few years ago. But I don't see GD doing this as a "one and done" strategy. This is just the first step. How long do you think the starting price pre-closeout will stay at $10/$12 especially when NameJet starts at $69/$79. I fully expect starting price at GD auctions will align to those prices after the dust settles....That may put the final nail on the coffin of most small/mid-size investors looking at GD. They will move to Dropcatch/Dynadot for now, but they'll follow suit I'm sure. Raising starting prices won't hurt any of these firms financially because the bulk of their buys come from the big players anyway. All it will do eventually is squeeze everyone else out but the players with substantial funds to invest with.

•••
I move every name I can out. I used to only buy names at GD now I buy about 1 a year. GD auctions and closeouts are essentially a scam.

if u call them scam u gotta call all auctions scam..because same rules and results apply everywhere

•••
this will take effect when ?

•••
Today is February 2nd

just got a nice closeout at the standard 9$+renewal

so it seem they changed their minds about this increase in prices

I hope so.
99.995% of good domains will be long gone before reaching closeouts, so this price increase will help no one other than helping Godaddy.

•••
We spoke to soon, $50 closeouts are now in play. We should know better at this point.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back