Dynadot

GoDaddy pending delete question

NameSilo
Watch

DR01D

Impact
I found a domain that I'd like to purchase and according to GoDaddy it's status is pending delete. However it's expiration date isn't until February 2014. How can it be pending delete if it doesn't expire until February 2014? As a side note the website is completely down. It comes up blank when I type in the URL.

Updated Date: 21-may-2013
Creation Date: xx-feb-2013
Expiration Date: xx-feb-2014

Thanks a ton in advance for any input!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It's always like that, but the domain name is going to drop soon.

•••
Thanks a ton dnb8!

Is there any way to determine which day it's going to drop?

•••
Well it will be automatically updated..there is no prediction out here or similar to it

•••
one of my domain is recently expired but i was unable to renew it, its just 7 days before. how should i get it back?

•••

If it's 68 days after expiration, then it will delete, and you will have to catch it on the drop. (It will expire day 75-76).

If it's within 45 days after expiration, you can do one of two things:

--pay the premium ($80 at Go Daddy--don't know about other registrars)

--If it's at Go Daddy, you can transfer it to another registrar, just paying the reg fee at the other registrar. In your GD panel, all you have to do is click on expired domains, unlock the domain, and click for the Auth # (which will be emailed to your admin email). When you get the transfer email from the other registrar, you accept the transfer by giving them the auth #.

I'm not sure how other registrars work with expired domains.​

•••
It's always like that, but the domain name is going to drop soon.

Unless i am missing something, Its not always like that.
In fact its never like that as far as i know.
This info is indeed very weird.

Expiration date shown in whois of a domain can not be in 2014 while at the same time the domain is in pending delete status as per whois at the same time.
Expiration date must be few months back , NOT in 2014.
The domain will drop 6 days after "updated date" (shown in whois), its also not in control of godaddy anymore, it will drop 100% 6 days after entering pending delete status and expiration date shown in whois of a "pending delete" domain normally can not be 2014.

*confused*

•••
Unless i am missing something, Its not always like that.
In fact its never like that as far as i know.
This info is indeed very weird.

Expiration date shown in whois of a domain can not be in 2014 while at the same time the domain is in pending delete status as per whois at the same time.
Expiration date must be few months back , NOT in 2014.
The domain will drop 6 days after "updated date" (shown in whois), its also not in control of godaddy anymore, it will drop 100% 6 days after entering pending delete status and expiration date shown in whois of a "pending delete" domain normally can not be 2014.

*confused*

IF the expiration date is about a year in advance, that usually means that the registrar has renewed the domain temporarily.

If it doesn't sell within 45 days, the registrar can receive a refund from the registry and then hold the domain 75-76 days after expiration, but they could also delete it any time after receiving a refund.

In DR0ID's example, the dates are hinky. The domain may be viewed as desirable by the registrar, which may be preparing to snatch it for one of its "partners"/subsidiaries.

This is not supposed to happen--seen by ICANN as a conflict of interest--but it does, so what can you do?

•••
Learnt alot here, thanks

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back