NameSilo

GoDaddy needs lessons in Customer Service and common sense...

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I have almost 400 names with GoDaddy.

Also a few websites.

Do the math for renewal fees and you'll see they make some good money off me. Needless to say I fall into the Premier Services category.

Lately the Customer Service I get is incredibly lacking. So is just about everything else. Let me give you a "for instance"...

Back in August I received a generic email from GoDaddy stating that my "Website Price is about to increase".

Since I have a number of websites operating there I emailed my Rep and asked which website is going up in price, and to what (the generic email made you go to the GoDaddy site, where you had to go through a maze of information where I never, ever found what they were referring to).

My Rep emailed back and stated the cost of renewing now is $71.88.

But, of course, he never bothered to tell me WHAT the price increase will be, nor confirm what I'm currently paying (tried to get that through the maze on their site but, no luck).

So I let that slide.

Today, however, I notice that I can't get on the site (although it's not expired).

Both Chrome and FireFox state that the Security Certificate has expired.

WTF?

So I call GoDaddy Premier Services and am put on hold for 22 minutes before I give up.

I call back later, get through to someone and ask if this "hold" time is normal.

He replied that on Tuesdays they have Rep meetings so there aren't any Reps to answer the phone.

I replied that maybe they should think about putting that on the Voicemail message you're greeted with, rather than be put on Hold waiting for Reps that aren't at all available (and won't be for an hour or so while they conduct the meeting).

"Oh, I don't know if our system will let us do that", was his reply.

Yowza.

So I tell him about the expired Security Certificate and he tells me that I shouldn't have let it expire.

I remind him that it's a GoCentral website, and that the Certificate is valid as long as the Website is paid.

He checks. "Oh yeah."

So he fixes it.

I ask why it lapsed.

He didn't have an answer.

In the meantime I email my Rep and ask if he'll still honor the original $71.88 that he mentioned in his email. You know, the same email he never replied back to about what the increased price will be nor confirm what I'm paying now.

He basically says "too late".

I remind him that GoDaddy screwed up the Security Certificate issue during a time when I had emailed a few hundred people with a link to my website.

Shouldn't I get some credit for that since those people couldn't get to the site?

No reply.

I'm going to start looking for another registrar at this point.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I have almost 400 names with GoDaddy.

Also a few websites.

Do the math for renewal fees and you'll see they make some good money off me. Needless to say I fall into the Premier Services category.

Lately the Customer Service I get is incredibly lacking. So is just about everything else. Let me give you a "for instance"...

Back in August I received a generic email from GoDaddy stating that my "Website Price is about to increase".

Since I have a number of websites operating there I emailed my Rep and asked which website is going up in price, and to what (the generic email made you go to the GoDaddy site, where you had to go through a maze of information where I never, ever found what they were referring to).

My Rep emailed back and stated the cost of renewing now is $71.88.

But, of course, he never bothered to tell me WHAT the price increase will be, nor confirm what I'm currently paying (tried to get that through the maze on their site but, no luck).

So I let that slide.

Today, however, I notice that I can't get on the site (although it's not expired).

Both Chrome and FireFox state that the Security Certificate has expired.

WTF?

So I call GoDaddy Premier Services and am put on hold for 22 minutes before I give up.

I call back later, get through to someone and ask if this "hold" time is normal.

He replied that on Tuesdays they have Rep meetings so there aren't any Reps to answer the phone.

I replied that maybe they should think about putting that on the Voicemail message you're greeted with, rather than be put on Hold waiting for Reps that aren't at all available (and won't be for an hour or so while they conduct the meeting).

"Oh, I don't know if our system will let us do that", was his reply.

Yowza.

So I tell him about the expired Security Certificate and he tells me that I shouldn't have let it expire.

I remind him that it's a GoCentral website, and that the Certificate is valid as long as the Website is paid.

He checks. "Oh yeah."

So he fixes it.

I ask why it lapsed.

He didn't have an answer.

In the meantime I email my Rep and ask if he'll still honor the original $71.88 that he mentioned in his email. You know, the same email he never replied back to about what the increased price will be nor confirm what I'm paying now.

He basically says "too late".

I remind him that GoDaddy screwed up the Security Certificate issue during a time when I had emailed a few hundred people with a link to my website.

Shouldn't I get some credit for that since those people couldn't get to the site?

No reply.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

I am sure @Rob Monster can give you a great transfer deal I am not sure how competitive his website product is, maybe Rob can comment on that.

•••
On a side note, never host your site with the company you also use as your registrar.

•••
For very casual sites, BuyShared.net is bargain.

•••
I am sure @Rob Monster can give you a great transfer deal I am not sure how competitive his website product is, maybe Rob can comment on that.

$7.49 for .com transfers every day. See October promo:

https://www.namepros.com/threads/epik-com-promo-deals-and-happy-hour-mega-thread.1148974/page-24

PM @epik and we'll get you set up.

As for hosting, we have two good options:

(1) Shared cPanel hosting

https://www.epik.com/hosting/

(2) VPS and Dedicated Servers:

https://sibyl.li/

If you have complex hosting needs go with (2). If more routine, (1) is cheap and good.

As for SSL, I think your best option these days is this service:

https://www.epik.com/resilient/

$4.99 per month per domain for everything: SSL, CDN, DDoS mitigation, Anycast DNS, etc.

•••

Any suggestions?

At one time I had ALL my domains, many hundreds, with daddy back in the 'bob' days. Now, those that were worth keeping and many hundreds more new regs are at Epik. Best move I've made so far since becoming addicted to domaining years ago. :xf.smile:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back