Dynadot

GoDaddy Makes #1

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
April 26, 2005
GoDaddy.com Tops Registrar Ranking
By Jim Wagner

Domain name registrar GoDaddy.com is tops in the world, officials announced Tuesday.

The new ranking comes from a recent report by analyst firm Name Intelligence and topples Network Solutions (NetSol) from the No. 1 spot it has held for years.

"From 2002 - 2004, GoDaddy.com led the domain name industry in terms of net growth and new domain names registered," Bob Parsons, the company's president and founder, said in a statement. "Now that we are number one in terms of domain names under management, we are truly the world's No. 1 registrar in every category."

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
the thing that I find strange there is the fact that it is measured by the domains registered and not by the revenues....
Revenues are what ccount most.

•••
Who much domain names does godaddy have?

•••
Digitalman said:
Who much domain names does godaddy have?
??? They're talking about how many registrations have been purchased through their sites - Not how many they own.

Zeeble said:
Revenues are what count most.
To most of us - it definitely does. But to the Big boys .... Being Ranked #1 in Registrations will only bring more buyers.

•••
all4cost said:
??? They're talking about how many registrations have been purchased through their sites - Not how many they own.

Sorry that's what I mean, how many registrations have been purchased through their sites?

•••
•••
I think the reason why godaddy has so many domain names registered is because they spend a lot on advertising.

•••
Well Congrats to Boberoo!
And also to all of us, as every registrartion is one fewer DN that is still left in the "supply" category, while demand will hopefully continue to increase!
-Allan

•••
Digitalman said:
I think the reason why godaddy has so many domain names registered is because they spend a lot on advertising.

But of course! Another reason, though, is their low prices.

•••
all4cost said:
?
To most of us - it definitely does. But to the Big boys .... Being Ranked #1 in Registrations will only bring more buyers.

I agree to an extent, but market share is usually counted by revenues.....
if godaddy has 1 mil registrations (example) and makes revenues of $7 mil per year and another company has 800k registrations and makes $10 mil per year, then the later company is doing massively better, regardless of the registrations.

•••
davezan said:
But of course! Another reason, though, is their low prices.

What do you think is the most important reason the low price or the advertising?

•••
Digitalman said:
What do you think is the most important reason the low price or the advertising?

Both, equally (imho). They feed off each other. :)

•••
I think advertising is more important.
1and1 has domain names for 5.99 but doesn't advertise as much as godaddy.
godaddy has domain names for 8.95 and a lot of advertising.

•••
-db- said:
Both, equally (imho). They feed off each other. :)

You have a point there, however if you think that a company can charge much higher amounts through advertising and branding, by having an image of high quality.... I would say that Branding, Image and Advertising are the main factors of the marketing equation in this case.

•••
Congratulations are due to Bob Parsons and GoDaddy on becoming the World's most popular registrar.

•••
Is there any way to tell how many sales are actually through resellers ? - I kind of doubt it myself ... But was wondering :-/

•••
all4cost said:
Is there any way to tell how many sales are actually through resellers ? - I kind of doubt it myself ... But was wondering :-/

If you mean through WildWestDomains resellers, those are counted seperately since they actaully setup a new registrar for that program. Otherwise they would have been #1 long ago. WWD has over a million domains registered.

•••
Thx ~ that was what I was after .... Whether or not they were included - I wasn't really aware They had a separate Registrar ~ :tu:

•••
Now if only Go Daddy will finally provide a toll-free phone number. :hehe:

•••
-RJ- said:
If you mean through WildWestDomains resellers, those are counted seperately since they actaully setup a new registrar for that program. Otherwise they would have been #1 long ago. WWD has over a million domains registered.

Wow I though WWD was include in the 6,908,914 so they have around 8,000,000 Domain names.

•••
godaddy even had a super bowl commercial. That shows they are the best

•••
The biggest domain seller gets even bigger. Huh

I wonder how much that superbowl ad helped.

•••
Super Bowl ad may be paying off.

ST

•••
Great domain register with easy tools,Fast pushes,Good prices.

•••
davezan said:
Now if only Go Daddy will finally provide a toll-free phone number. :hehe:

:bingo: and maybe a few less pages/ads to go through :lol:

I'm sure the Superbowl Ads and probably the "3.24 $ Discount Sale" helped push them on up there ~

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back