IT.COM

GoDaddy: "Domain Not Available" Backorders

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I always had the impression that if a backorder had already been placed on a particular domain, then GoDaddy's WHOIS would mention "Domain Not Available" so that a second backorder could not be placed on the same domain.

Ok so for fun I decided to find out if any of my domains had received backorders. And WHAM... almost all of them did, even the ones that expire in 2011! But the fishy thing is, even some of my sucky ones were "Not Available".

So the question is: assuming that the domains are not in the midst of a registrar transfer, does "Domain Not Available" always mean that a backorder has already been placed on the domain? Because if not, GoDaddy's WHOIS would say something like "Backorder this domain NOW!".

Anybody knows anything about this?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Domain Not Available means they are already registered?

Dont know about if it is a indication that ts been backorded.

•••
Originally posted by g0ldy
Domain Not Available means they are already registered?

Dont know about if it is a indication that ts been backorded.

No, on the GoDaddy WHOIS...

"Domain not available" = domain already backordered
"Register it Now" = unregistered domain
"Backorder Now" = registered but backorder available

But so many of my domains, even the lousy ones, have come up with "Domain not available" that it seems weird.

•••
If every single one of your domains came up as backordered, it sounds like an error to me.

•••
Originally posted by Anthony
If every single one of your domains came up as backordered, it sounds like an error to me.

No, not all of them. But one wonders why there would be a backorder for a domain which is set to expire only in 2011?!

•••
They probably do not allow for backorders of domains that do not expire for a long time. However, I just checked one that expires in 2011 and it's available for backorder so I dunno.

•••
Yeah, it's indeed strange. I mean, even firstname-lastname specific domains, which one would imagine are worth nothing except to the owner of that name, are on backorder.

•••
Possible Explanation

I think I may have arrived at a possible explanation.

Check WHOIS for any of your domains regged at GD, they will all turn out to have been backordered ie. "This domain is not available" (for backorder).

However, upon transfer of the same domain to, say, Enom, GD's WHOIS suddenly takes back its words and says "You can backorder this domain", etc.

Conclusion? If the domain is regged at GD, Bob assumes that all his domains will be automatically renewed, hence there is no chance for a backorder (but why doesn't GD want to earn the backorder fees anyway - altruistically avoiding false hopes at the expense of lost revenue?). If the domain is with another registrar, GD cannot assume that it will be auto-renewed, hence availing the possibility of backordering.

There is a possible test for this which I have not yet found time to carry out. Log into my GD account and uncheck autorenewal for one of the domains. See if this non-autorenew domain is available for GD backorder.

I wonder if this quirk is the same for other registrars.

•••
atraying from the topic has anyone tried gd back order is it anygood?

•••
Originally posted by Bill1
atraying from the topic has anyone tried gd back order is it anygood?

Actually it is worthless, you have better luck getting it yourself(I know I have done it).

This is just another cashcow for blowdaddy, cost something, nothing delivered

D-:

•••
Originally posted by Riceman
Actually it is worthless, you have better luck getting it yourself(I know I have done it).

This is just another cashcow for blowdaddy, cost something, nothing delivered

D-:

There are plenty of other services providing a similar "service." Don't make it sound like GD made it up!

•••
Riceman please pm me and let me know how you managed to reg it your self

•••
i have had good success backordering through godaddy, works quite smoothly.......could be ive just been lucky but ive cant say ive had any probs with it

•••
I have also used GD with some succes.
It's very hard to get the premium names, but I have managed to capture some which I have sold again (to resellers) for $xxx ...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back