NameSilo

advice GoDaddy Denied My Domain?

Namecheap AuctionsNamecheap Auctions
SpaceshipSpaceship
SpaceshipSpaceship
Watch

NiceDayVince

Established Member
Impact
20
Last night I registered an event based domain that I figured would be very valuable to someone next year when the event rolls around next year.

Today I received this email from GoDaddy:

______________________________

GODADDY AUCTIONS®
We're sorry
Thank you for being a GoDaddy customer. We greatly appreciate your interest in participating in our exciting aftermarket and/or parked page programs. Unfortunately, we are unable to list the domain name(s) below in these programs at this time because another person or entity owns a trademark that matches one or more terms or words contained in your domain name(s).


****TheEventBasedDomainIRegisteredLastNight2018 dot Com****

Again, we very much appreciate your business and we are sorry that this particular service is unavailable for this domain name(s). If you have any questions, please contact us at trademarkclaims @ godaddy dot com

Regards,
GoDaddy Aftermarket/Parked Page Team

_____________________________

My question:
Can anyone tell me what this email means to tell me? Does this simply mean that I cannot park the domain on godaddy, and I cannot use their auction site to list it for sale?

Is there still any hope of parking it with VooDoo and/or selling it on some other auction site? As far as I know it's still listed on Afternic, Flippa, and Sedo...

Or should I continue with plan B; a custom SEO landing page with Adsense and a "this domain is for sale" message/contact form? BTW, any tips on what I should use to create a custom landing page like this? Any wordpress themes/plugins recommended for this? Or is there a Parking service that would be my best bet?

Any tips for me in this situation, based on real life knowledge/experience?

Thanks!
 
0
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
GoDaddyGoDaddy
Sure...
Best Buy should go out and trademark every name associated with Best Buy.

Bestbuy.com
Bestbuynow.com
Bestbuytomorrow.com
Bestbuyyesterday.com
Bestbuymaybenextweek.com
Bestbuynope.com
Bestbuydeals.com
BestbuyDeal.com
Bestbuymyhome.com

Do you see where this is going yet?

I know others that do reserve them. These names are normally on a list, so people can do bulk reserving and these days with some IT cheats you can do them in a short time. But I get your point, if you reserve them on by one it's going to take forever and they are new gTLDs appearing which makes it more difficult.

Another thing: I may be wrong, but as far as I know, the customers need to be provided with information if a name is under trademark so that they are aware of the legal issues that might come up in the future. I read an ICANN document once about it.

It can turn to be really expensive mistake for domainers if there isn't a way to stop it.
 
1
•••
I know others that do reserve them. These names are normally on a list, so people can do bulk reserving and these days with some IT cheats you can do them in a short time. But I get your point, if you reserve them on by one it's going to take forever and they are new gTLDs appearing which makes it more difficult.

Another thing: I may be wrong, but as far as I know, the customers need to be provided with information if a name is under trademark so that they are aware of the legal issues that might come up in the future. I read an ICANN document once about it.

It can turn to be really expensive mistake for domainers if there isn't a way to stop it.

The onus is on the domainer to learn about their legal obligations before registering names and building sites on them. Companies shouldn't have to buy up every possible name that could be mis-used... Registrars shouldn't have to spit out a laundry list of "legal things to consider" every time someone registers a name.

That expensive mistake you're talking about can be easily fixed, as Vince demonstrated. If more "mistakes" happen after that, the problem lies with the domainer and their intentions.

Ignorance of the law has never been an acceptable excuse for breaking it.
 
0
•••
GoDaddy does not prevent registering names because you may have legal rights to those trademarks. It is your obligation to check whether a name that you register or buy can be used by you (for the purpose that you intend to use it and in the geographic region that you intent to use it). Some trademarks are not geographically universal. Some can be used for a product that is different from the trademark. Some trademarks can be disputed in a court of law. It is not the registrar's job to be the judge whether you are entitled to own a domain name (unless they get a court order etc.). At the same time, GoDaddy does correctly prevent the auction of some very obvious trademarks that belong to large companies. It is their auctioning platform that you use, and it's their job to judge whether you are entitled to sell a domain name.
 
Last edited:
1
•••
AIVikingsAIVikings

We're social

Escrow.com
Spaceship
Escrowly
CryptoExchange.com
Domain Recover
AIVikings
Catchy
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back