GoDaddy Coupon Code Error

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

KDN

KenTop Member
Impact
Hi guys,

Just curious if any of you gets this error when using a code:

Some of our best offers are limited to one per customer and it looks like you've already used one. We've updated your cart with the best offer, if one is available.

This is what I see below the code field:

The code entered has some restrictions.

Thank you so much for your time!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
NameBright is working fine for me too!

•••
So, I went over to NameCheap. Thats how fast someone can lose business.

so, tell us. what did namecheap charge you?
godaddy has .COM regs for $8.99+

•••
so, tell us. what did namecheap charge you?
godaddy has .COM regs for $8.99+

crap - it was NameSILO (not Cheap). Cant edit that post anymore. It cost $8.99

•••
•••
Here's an idea:

Let's start a 1&1 thread so I don't have to soft through the BS about them and can read about goDaddy on here instead

//exits stage right

•••
Here's an idea:

Let's start a 1&1 thread so I don't have to soft through the BS about them and can read about goDaddy on here instead

//exits stage right
Uhhhhhhhhhhhh, if you start a 1&1 thread that will open up a can of worms. Too much negative experience with lots of members here and around the internet. A 1&1 thread will not have the same impact as a GoDaddy thread.

Most domainers are upset about the changes that GoDaddy has done because they like to use GoDaddy. 1&1 is not liked by most domainers, or at least the more experienced due to all the BS that 1&1 pulls. Too many times people have had to bang their heads on the wall because of having to deal with 1&1...

•••
From the Reddit AMA with GoDaddy CEO Blake Irving today:

Q: Why did GoDaddy stop putting out coupon codes that could be used by existing customers? Any plans to bring them back?

Blake Irving: We're focused on maximizing value for our customers. In most cases, that isn't about price it's about product and experience. That said, we still do sales and special offers - just not as often.

Full AMA.

•••
Yep so true, it's only the domainers that ended this prematurely and now they are threatening to go elsewhere. Do you really think godaddy care??

they'd be absolutely stupid to not care rod
they make a kings ransom on expired names registered through them in the auction place.
if we all got together and started buying names elsewhere - they would lose not only the revenue from registrations and renewals - but the FREE names they get to sell through their auctions.

there's certainly power in numbers and we're the numbers
it's time to make godaddy 'myspace'

•••
they'd be absolutely stupid to not care rod
they make a kings ransom on expired names registered through them in the auction place.
if we all got together and started buying names elsewhere - they would lose not only the revenue from registrations and renewals - but the FREE names they get to sell through their auctions.

there's certainly power in numbers and we're the numbers
it's time to make godaddy 'myspace'
if domainers wouldn't of abused the hell out of the coupons by creating extra accounts and whatever other tricks they'd probably still be offering them. domainers ruined it for themselves and don't fool yourself. domainers are only a small % of their business. probably less than 5%.

•••
if domainers wouldn't of abused the hell out of the coupons by creating extra accounts and whatever other tricks they'd probably still be offering them. domainers ruined it for themselves and don't fool yourself. domainers are only a small % of their business. probably less than 5%.

while this may be true - i'm sure they still profited quite handsomely on the pending dropped names that they never owned or paid for in the first place - that got sold on GDA because of that abuse.

i don't think this has anything at all to do with domainer abuse
i think this has everything to do with trying to squeeze people into considering other extensions - even other domainers.

•••
I would love to see the stats - the number of names registered before and after they removed coupons.
I registered around 20 coms since then - none of them at GD

•••

I do not know, you may very well be correct....... But if domainers are only a small % of their business then the abusing domainers would be an even smaller percentage of that. If your point was to say that 5% domainers are too small of a population to make Godaddy care, then the abusing population (lets say its 1/4 of that 5%) didnt do this. What did this? The IPO.

What I think has happened is that Godaddy has gone public and now they answer to shareholders and Wall Street. Thats really all it is. Now they answer to Wall Street and the investors and shareholders. Someone probably said in a meeting to get rid of the coupons, force people to buy that Domain Discount Club, and they did it. Now you cant even get to renew that DDC using a coupon. You have to pay full price renewal on that too.

Its OK though, this is a free market system and we are all free to go and make market elsewhere. :)

•••
Everybody used Godaddy coupons with their "Merry-Go-Round" transfer strategy! :D I'm guilty of it too.

Let's see how this used to work. You buy a domain from someone, and it's with Name.com or wherever, and you:
1. Transfer to Godaddy $0.99 / $1.99 / $2.99
2. Transfer away to NameCheap $3.99 special
3. Transfer to Godaddy $0.99 / $1.99 / $2.99
4. Transfer to Name.com- $8.25
5. Transfer to Godaddy $0.99 / $1.99 / $2.99
6. Transfer away to NameCheap $3.99 special (eligible again after 2 years)
7. Back to Godaddy bla bla bla

Godaddy coupons played a big role for many domainers- you would come across posts in the past where people bragged about how they moved their domains from registrar to registrar. Nothing wrong with it of course-it's being savvy... stretching that dollar for all it's worth.

I did save with Godaddy coupons, but at the same time, I would usually find myself buying replacements for domains which I wanted to drop, except that the domains I wanted to drop were already renewed 2 or so years in advance. As far as cost goes, it didn't have an effect really- the strategy was sound, but now, it does make one do things a bit more realistically-although at a higher total price.

Almost every year, I will buy domains, and mark other domains to be dropped-but it just never happened. At least this time the "It's only $0.99- $2.99" story won't apply, Now weaker names, for which replacemens were bought, will definitely be dropped. It may just be a blessing in disguise.

But I do think that Godaddy should have some promos, even at $3.99-$4.99 per month-for say 5 new/transfer domains per customer. It's not $0.99, but it's something that will still allow Godaddy to retain some customers that they may lose completely to other registrars-especially the domainer crowd.

•••
Interesting... As domainers, we are well aware that registry .com price + ICANN fee + CC/Paypal processing fee means about $8.xx that GoDaddy MUST pay for each and every .com registration or renewal. So why should GoDaddy offer $0.99 or whatever below cost pricing to existing customers, domainers or not? They may well offer such a thing to new retail customers that will purchase hosting or renew @14.99 forever. Obviously, domainers would not renew @ $14.99 and would not use daddys hosting. So it is not strange that godaddy decided to stop wasting $$$. What is strange is that they did not decide to do this earlier. And, any serious business (and domaining is a serious business) should NOT be based on abusing or, ok, over-using below-cost promotions of their suppliers...

•••
they were not profitable. something had to change.

•••
Everybody used Godaddy coupons with their "Merry-Go-Round" transfer strategy! :D I'm guilty of it too.

Let's see how this used to work. You buy a domain from someone, and it's with Name.com or wherever, and you:
1. Transfer to Godaddy $0.99 / $1.99 / $2.99
2. Transfer away to NameCheap $3.99 special
3. Transfer to Godaddy $0.99 / $1.99 / $2.99
4. Transfer to Name.com- $8.25
5. Transfer to Godaddy $0.99 / $1.99 / $2.99
6. Transfer away to NameCheap $3.99 special (eligible again after 2 years)
7. Back to Godaddy bla bla bla

Godaddy coupons played a big role for many domainers- you would come across posts in the past where people bragged about how they moved their domains from registrar to registrar. Nothing wrong with it of course-it's being savvy... stretching that dollar for all it's worth.
In light with this new Godaddy coupon rule change, this is my new Merry-Go-Round strategy:

For domains that need Privacy:
Transfer to Name.com ($8.25)
After 1 year, transfer to Namesilo ($8.39)
After 1 year, back to Name.com ($8.25)
Rinse and repeat

For domains that DON'T need Privacy:
Transfer to Godaddy ($8.17)
After 1 year, transfer to Name.com ($8.25)
After 1 year, back to Godaddy ($8.17)
Rinse and repeat

BTW - I didn't know that Namecheap coupons validity on transferred out domains,
become eligible again after 2 years. Will try to revisit Namecheap again if that's true.

Also- In the past when 0.99 GD codes are aplenty, i used to transfer back my domains to Godaddy
as soon as the 60 day transfer restriction on my domains is up. That way, i got to maximize
the use of all the coupon codes getting posted on the thread. But those were the good ol days.

•••
In light with this new Godaddy coupon rule change, this is my new Merry-Go-Round strategy:

For domains that need Privacy:
Transfer to Name.com ($8.25)
After 1 year, transfer to Namesilo ($8.39)
After 1 year, back to Name.com ($8.25)
Rinse and repeat

For domains that DON'T need Privacy:
Transfer to Godaddy ($8.17)
After 1 year, transfer to Name.com ($8.25)
After 1 year, back to Godaddy ($8.17)
Rinse and repeat

That will work, but it's not the same. I transferred about 20 domains to Godaddy yesterday, but might just spread the love to other registrars too. Hopefully ResellerClub will throw a discount like they did a few years back for .com/net/org that went from $4-$6.50 for bulk transfers. Will definitely take that one up.

BTW - I didn't know that Namecheap coupons validity on transferred out domains,
become eligible again after 2 years. Will try to revisit Namecheap again if that's true.

Yes, it works. It needs to be a full two years. You'll find it automatically rejects some that have been transferred to them over 2 years -but I realised it has to do with when you transferred them out.

Also- In the past when 0.99 GD codes are aplenty, i used to transfer back my domains to Godaddy
as soon as the 60 day transfer restriction on my domains is up. That way, i got to maximize
the use of all the coupon codes getting posted on the thread. But those were the good ol days.

That's the way I should have done it, but I just didn't have time, got complacent, lazy, etc.

2015 was not such a fantastic year for coupons in general. Some of the codes worked for some people and not for others- months before this all dried up.

I wonder what effect this is having on the "niches" that pop up at NP? They relied heavily on coupon codes. :D

•••
i'm saving 22 cents, every time i transfer back to GD. That's $22 bucks every other year for 100 domains.

Maybe one day i'll wake up and say, the hell with $22 bucks - i'll just rotate between Name.com and Namesilo and put some psych pressure on GD by contributing to clients no longer returning to pay at their regular prices.

I'm starting to believe that the only real purpose of these 99 cent coupons, is to artificially inflate the size of their client base to sell the company as the largest in the planet. The 99 coupons would appear in their books as "marketing expense" to boost their client numbers.

•••
So another coupon is finally working ($2.5 - cjcr699b) - I wonder if anyone heard from GD about this?
A sudden drop in registrations must have been noticeable...?

Did they decide they need (happy) domainers more than domainers need them? ;)

Not that 1-2 coupons a month will change anything for me - if I am to pay $9 I'd rather use registrar that gives free whois.

•••
Hopefully more codes to come! :)

Let's wait and see.

•••
Code: cjcr699b just worked for me too, hope it works for you too guys.
Keep up the good work!

•••
looks like WOW codes are done.

got this in an email last month:

"The Refer-a-Friend program will officially retire on September 10, 2015. After that date, the Refer-a-Friend section of your account will no longer be available, credits won't be earned for orders using your referral code, and the discount associated with your referral code will expire."

I just tried two of mine and they did not work.

too bad. I never got a referral that I know of (their system never worked well enough to show me). but it was very convenient to have a 35% off code memorized, and the codes worked for the renewal part of auction wins, too.

( resists urge to mention WOW codes one last time in the massive godaddy code thread. D-::$:B-) haha )

•••
Interesting... As domainers, we are well aware that registry .com price + ICANN fee + CC/Paypal processing fee means about $8.xx that GoDaddy MUST pay for each and every .com registration or renewal. So why should GoDaddy offer $0.99 or whatever below cost pricing to existing customers, domainers or not? They may well offer such a thing to new retail customers that will purchase hosting or renew @14.99 forever. Obviously, domainers would not renew @ $14.99 and would not use daddys hosting. So it is not strange that godaddy decided to stop wasting $$$. What is strange is that they did not decide to do this earlier. And, any serious business (and domaining is a serious business) should NOT be based on abusing or, ok, over-using below-cost promotions of their suppliers...

Who receives the "registry .com price"? Because if GoDaddy isn't making a killing selling mere dreams and ideas, someone is.

•••
I almost wish they hadn't post that new code - now I'm back to refreshing GD codes thread every day (and being disappointed every time) :rolleyes:

•••
You can get to $1.99 .com and $0.99 .net from domain.com for a short while without any code. It gets even lower with a code but it's expiring in a few hours.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back