GoDaddy Coupon Code Error

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

KDN

KenTop Member
Impact
Hi guys,

Just curious if any of you gets this error when using a code:

Some of our best offers are limited to one per customer and it looks like you've already used one. We've updated your cart with the best offer, if one is available.

This is what I see below the code field:

The code entered has some restrictions.

Thank you so much for your time!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
This has become the elephant in the room.

Shoot it, Bob!

•••
I can't live without GD discount codes. :(

•••
Most of these codes were meant to be for affiliates to promote godaddy to their readers/users.

We exploited them.

I think our abuse before was the "error".

I'm thankful for all of the coupons I was able to use over the years; but bravo to godaddy, honestly. This makes me have more faith in them as a business. Now let's see what else they can fix over there.

•••
•••
Same here , can't use codes with old accounts :(

•••
This will exponentially increase the quality of everyone's registrations.

•••
•••
I guess it's time to look for alternatives.

•••
•••
•••
Most of these codes were meant to be for affiliates to promote godaddy to their readers/users.
We exploited them.
I think our abuse before was the "error". .....

I completely disagree.

Bob Parsons was a very smart businessman, the coupons were part of a clever strategy:
You are correct, the original intent was to bring in new clients, it started with a 99 cent coupon good for a day or so, every two months or so. That's all. After a couple years the gates opened and there were hundreds of coupons. Why?

Because Bob Parsons noticed something. When domainers use a coupon one of three things happen a year later:
1 The domainer renews the domain.
2 The domainer sells the domain. Now Godaddy has a brand new end-user (oftentimes) already signed up at Godaddy, ready to buy hosting and lots of other stuff. At retail.
3 He drops the domain, in which case Godaddy sells it or keeps it for themselves.

All are wins for GD, and the next year is another round, until it sells or drops. They do lose money if the domain drops with no buyers. That is the reason coupons are limited and only for .Com. The profit greatly outweighs the cost of the discounts over time. Essentially Godaddy was hiring us as domain researchers... at maybe a dollar per hour.

Corporate managers do not think outside the box, so they end the program, never seeing the brilliance. I imagine many of Bob's "special ideas" are fast falling away as Godaddy strives to attain mediocrity.

Last edited:
•••
I completely disagree.

Bob Parsons was a very smart businessman, the coupons were part of a clever strategy:
You are correct, the original intent was to bring in new clients, and it started with a 99 cent coupon good for a day or so, every two months or so. That's all. After a couple years the gates opened and there were hundreds of coupons. Why?

Because Bob Parsons noticed something. When domainers use a coupon one of three things happen a year later:
1 The domainer renews the domain
2 The domainer sells the domain. Now Godaddy has a brand new end-user (oftentimes) already signed up at Godaddy, ready to buy hosting or whatever.
3 He drops the domain, in which case Godaddy sells it or keeps it for themselves.

All are wins for GD, unless the domain drops with no buyers. That is the reason coupons are limited and only for .Com. The profit greatly outweighs the cost of the discounts over time. Essentially Godaddy was hiring us as domain researchers... at maybe a dollar per hour.

Corporate managers do not think outside the box. So they end the program, never seeing the brilliance. I imagine many of Bob's "special ideas" are fast falling away as Godaddy strives for mediocrity.

That's definitely an interesting argument, but under Parsons we were also using the coupons for renewal, so there wasn't much money being made there.

I even remember buying that groupon deal and combined with coupons I renewed like 70 of my domains for $35.

Good post, though. This is an interesting subject to debate.

EDIT: Here's an analogy I just thought of it, maybe it applies:

You're argument is like saying "tax loopholes are better than having corporations actually pay their taxes! Now they can create more jobs, innovate, make the economy better..."

Does it really work out that way?

I don't know.

But I think if a domain is good, it is still certainly worth $8.

Last edited:
•••
I had forgotten about the groupon. that was interesting to watch.

•••
All coupons are dead for me. Even the $5.99 ones that I never use.

It's probably over.

I have fond memories though. There was the unlimited 80 cent renewal glitch. The $1,000+ of Groupons that I loaded into my account and Groupon banned me for life. And the endless 99c bad registrations that made sense only because they were 99c.

•••
It would have been nice if there is an official statement that this does not work anymore, from GD, so that we could have stopped the hunting for codes and looked for names. :xf.rolleyes::xf.rolleyes::xf.rolleyes:

•••
This worked for GD as well - they made 30% commission on the cheap regs that sold through their Premium Sales. In my case they probably more than covered any loss they made on cheap registrations.

Guess what, I dislike the way GD functions, and the renewal fees, enough that I wouldn't register or renew a domain there at full cost. Maybe they are better off without me, maybe not.

(Not sure why this discussion is now pushed to a separate thread - the codes thread had discussion and advice on strategy before - is that thread going to close with no codes to post?)

•••
I just spoke to a Go Daddy rep and got an answer, blogged about it here, http://tldinvestors.com/2015/07/go-...9-codes-but-they-changed-how-theyre-used.html

Basically they are not abandoining the codes but if you used one .99 code you used them all. He did not have the exact wording but he said there was a change due to the viral sharing of the coupon codes. So I said ok so if I used one it does not matter that I did not use the one I tried today. He said right. Now when this will reset I did not get an answer.

•••
(Not sure why this discussion is now pushed to a separate thread - the codes thread had discussion and advice on strategy before - is that thread going to close with no codes to post?)

I can answer that, because several members reported posts that were not codes and were complaints about Go Daddy or Go Daddy Coupon Codes. Let me say posts are always reported in that thread when they are not on topic, it is a frequently reported thread.

@Eric Lyon

•••
I too have talked to someone at gd and they didn't really have a clue what was going on. But what they told me was it's limited to one per customer so. I got a friend of mine to make a account to test the waters he was only able to use 1 99cent code...after that he got the same message. This really sucks for the domainers who rely on these codes. Gd is dead to me too. I have no other reason to use them other then the auction platform
They are going to loose some business and I think that may make them bring the codes back. This would be a perfect opportunity for another registar to offer cheap .com registrations.

•••
•••
I too have talked to someone at gd and they didn't really have a clue what was going on. But what they told me was it's limited to one per customer so. I got a friend of mine to make a account to test the waters he was only able to use 1 99cent code...after that he got the same message. This really sucks for the domainers who rely on these codes. Gd is dead to me too. I have no other reason to use them other then the auction platform
They are going to loose some business and I think that may make them bring the codes back. This would be a perfect opportunity for another registar to offer cheap .com registrations.

I think it's time to let Daddy Go. :)

•••
I got that message too recently, it seems they want to stop people from using as many coupon codes.

•••
Same message here, gave up in the end. Although I must say over the years I have used many codes for which I do thank them for, this may be part of the new business model?

Make that two of us. I gave up too.

•••
"GoDaddy, a leading domain name registrar, built many residual customers over the years by supporting an array of discount coupon codes. Many people, including yours truly, have used their coupon codes for $0.99 .com domains and other savings.

However, it appears that current GoDaddy customer’s money savings may have quietly come to an end. Current customers attempting to use any of the discount $0.99 through $6 .com domain coupon codes have reportedly received an error code message that reads, “Some of our best offers are limited to one per customer and it looks like you’ve already used one. We’ve updated your cart with the best offer, if one is available.

This “best offer” for a .com domain is $14.99, but one coupon code is said to still work: rev10. Although, it only brings down the price to $8.49 + $0.18 ICANN fee for a total of $8.67. What’s unfortunate is that this pricing isn’t a “deal” when compared to other registrars. $8 .com domains has nearly become an industry standard these days."

Source: N4bb

•••
Its time to think broad before buying an Anything (dot) Com now

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back