IT.COM

GoDaddy Backorders - Any good?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

golan

GolanMedia.comTop Member
Impact
They caught two domains for me about 2-3 years ago. But now I resumed using them - and zero results, for couple of months, for not the strongest competition domains. Are they of any use at all now? Please share your experience.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Thanks for starting this thread - I was actually wondering about the back order process myself. I assume that when u place a back order then you obviously pay for upfront...but now what happens if you don get the domain to you get refunded the full amount you paid?

•••
but now what happens if you don get the domain to you get refunded the full amount you paid?

No. You still have a backorder credit. you can use it to backorder another name.

•••
Now i wonder, depending on a feedback here in the thread, if it's really useless - if i can ask GD to refund me these credits.

•••
They do refund you if they fail to catch any domains for you after you have tried multiple times and when you tell them that their service is totally crap and demand refund. I am talking from experience.

•••
•••
•••
Keep this thread updated if any GD back orders are successful, I'm interested to hear others success/fail rate.

•••
namecheap accepted menual backorder.

•••
GD???
Pseudobackorder...
Even handregs are faster in certain TLDs...

•••
•••
•••
GD backorders are useless. Don't waste your $$$.

•••
Useless. For me they are the best registrar, but worst dropcatchers!

•••
GD locks back orders when you use it as an opening bid. Wanted explanation about policy, never got call back What BS.

Mine have been locked for several days. It is great how GD wastes customers time and money @Joe Styler.

•••
I've been traveling for a couple weeks sorry for the delay. The backorders lock when we try and capture the domain so there are two scenarios as you pointed out above.

1. Expired domain with Godaddy goes to expired auction and your backorder is used as a bid on the auction. Even if you are outbid it still counts as a bid and gives you a discount on the auction and renewal price if you win, so the backorder is locked until the expired auction is completed. They last 10 days.
2. Expired domain is not registered with GoDaddy. We try and drop catch it, the capture fails and the backorder is still locked. This happens for 5 days I believe after the name is caught. This is because we still try and get the domain, sometimes the names drop again after they are caught by another company because the buyer has a bad/old credit card or they feel there is a tm issue etc so they let the domain name go again and we try and get it for you.
If you want the exact timing you can email auctions support but off the top of my head I believe it's five days. I have a lot of namepros pm's to catch up on from being away :) Sorry again for the delay.

Either way if you are outbid on an expired auction you do not want to bid on again or have a backorder locked on a drop catch name caught elsewhere and you don't want to take the chance it drops again you can contact auctions support and they will cancel the backorder hold early for you so you can reassign it. Only they will do it regular support will not because they do not easily know if youre backorder is also being used as a valid winning bid on an expired auction.

•••
How do I contact the auctions team directly?

I've been traveling for a couple weeks sorry for the delay. The backorders lock when we try and capture the domain so there are two scenarios as you pointed out above.

1. Expired domain with Godaddy goes to expired auction and your backorder is used as a bid on the auction. Even if you are outbid it still counts as a bid and gives you a discount on the auction and renewal price if you win, so the backorder is locked until the expired auction is completed. They last 10 days.
2. Expired domain is not registered with GoDaddy. We try and drop catch it, the capture fails and the backorder is still locked. This happens for 5 days I believe after the name is caught. This is because we still try and get the domain, sometimes the names drop again after they are caught by another company because the buyer has a bad/old credit card or they feel there is a tm issue etc so they let the domain name go again and we try and get it for you.
If you want the exact timing you can email auctions support but off the top of my head I believe it's five days. I have a lot of namepros pm's to catch up on from being away :) Sorry again for the delay.

Either way if you are outbid on an expired auction you do not want to bid on again or have a backorder locked on a drop catch name caught elsewhere and you don't want to take the chance it drops again you can contact auctions support and they will cancel the backorder hold early for you so you can reassign it. Only they will do it regular support will not because they do not easily know if youre backorder is also being used as a valid winning bid on an expired auction.

•••
•••
I don't use GD BO's anymore but I did for years and the entire time people were complaining about how useless they were at BO's, how they never caught anything etc...I never said a word, the bashing worked to my advantage, slowly picking up some 3L .nets, single dict word .com's and many others. If the majority of domainers fail, why would you listen to them...

•••
Its all about the number of registrars and what domain you are trying to catch. Godaddy has about 15-20 if I recall correctly. Now if you are trying to catch a dropping premium domain, you will certainly not catch it with Godaddy. They do not possess the snipe power of Snap or Dropcatch.

•••
Godaddy is not good for dropcatching domains. If you want to catch a expired domain use Dropcatcher, Namejet, Snapnames.

I also have read that you can hand reg the dropped domain before godaddy catches it.

Godaddy is best for registering domains.

•••
For today Godaddy has very low successfull rate for deleted domains. Other catchers can backorder domains for the same price.
Also, not all backorder credits will be refunded to you. Some of them can stuck in status "Capture in progress" forewer. And they can't help you.

•••
Some of them can stuck in status "Capture in progress" forewer. And they can't help you.

I know!!! It is sooooo annoying.

Why does GD claim @Joe Styler?

"If you are outbid for the domain, you will be allowed to apply your backorder credit to another domain."

•••
You can use your backorder for another domain. I stated the reasons why Backorders lock and what you can do to unlock them by contacting support already in this thread.

•••
Not a bad idea to contact auctions again if you don't get a response.

•••
Back