Domain Empire

GoDaddy Auctions - Renewal isn't 1 year?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Sephrata

Impact
Hi

Could someone explain something to me as I'm getting ridiculous answers from GoDaddy's support.

I purchased a number of domains from GoDaddy last year from the auctions and some of them are coming up for renewal. However, I am only getting 10 or so months on the 1 year renewals that I paid for.

For example, I paid for one domain on 4 April 2017 and it clearly states Renewal 1 year, but the domain expires on 26 February (in 2 days).

Could someone explain that as GoDaddy seem to think I owned the domain from 26 February, which cannot be correct as I didn't even submit a bit until the end of March.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
You will see this at Namejet as well with domains from partner registrars which are expired but which have not gone through the full delete process. Yes, it seems unfair to pay a backorder fee plus a year of renewal and only get ten and half months of registration. But in these cases you are acquiring a domain which has not gone through a complete drop cycle. Godaddy-registered domains which have expired and are available at Godaddy auctions are only available there until they go through the full drop process in which case they could be backordered at Namejet, Snapnames, Dropcatch, etc. So by acquiring a Godaddy-registered domain via Godaddy Auctions, you sort of jump the line ahead of other backorder services (even though any other domain investor or developer or end user could bid against you). The downside is you don't get a full year of registration from the acquisition date but from the domain's original expiration date.

https://in.godaddy.com/help/what-happens-after-domain-names-expire-6700

•••
You will see this at Namejet as well with domains from partner registrars which are expired but which have not gone through the full delete process. Yes, it seems unfair to pay a backorder fee plus a year of renewal and only get ten and half months of registration. But in these cases you are acquiring a domain which has not gone through a complete drop cycle. Godaddy-registered domains which have expired and are available at Godaddy auctions are only available there until they go through the full drop process in which case they could be backordered at Namejet, Snapnames, Dropcatch, etc. So by acquiring a Godaddy-registered domain via Godaddy Auctions, you sort of jump the line ahead of other backorder services (even though any other domain investor or developer or end user could bid against you). The downside is you don't get a full year of registration from the acquisition date but from the domain's original expiration date.

https://in.godaddy.com/help/what-happens-after-domain-names-expire-6700
Yup I get it but it can be construed as a deceptive practice as they are charging you for the entire year but you don't get it.

•••
Thanks for the answer.

I am going to raise this further for a couple of reasons:

1) The invoice clearly states "Term, 1 year".

2) The invoice also states the domain expired, which it obviously didn't if it's not gone through the full drop process.

•••
Thanks for the answer.

I am going to raise this further for a couple of reasons:

1) The invoice clearly states "Term, 1 year".

2) The invoice also states the domain expired, which it obviously didn't if it's not gone through the full drop process.

I understand it's the principal of it @Sephrata but a lot of money gets lost when it comes to principles.

Lawyer fees, relationship with registrar..... make sure you are prepared for fallout or consequences that could come of it should you take it too far.

The only reason I am saying that is I have seen battles between domainers and registrars and they did not end well.

Examples can be found on namePros if you hunt for them.

•••
Per their TOS -

https://www.godaddy.com/agreements/showdoc.aspx?pageid=dna_member

Buyer acknowledges Expired Domain Names must be renewed upon purchase. A one (1) year renewal or transfer fee will be added to the purchase price for each Expired Domain Name purchased. The successful bid amount plus the one (1) year renewal or transfer fee (from the end of the domain name’s previous registration period), plus ICANN fee, if applicable, is due within forty-eight (48) hours of auction close or the form of payment you used to purchase your Go Daddy Auctions membership, or any valid payment method associated with the account, will be charged on the third day following the auction close. If the winning bidder does not complete their purchase, you may be offered the Expired Domain Name for purchase. You must complete the purchase of the Expired Domain Name within twenty-four (24) hours of notification of the Expired Domain Name being offered to you. If you elect to purchase the Expired Domain Name, you acknowledge the Expired Domain Name must be renewed upon purchase. A one (1) year renewal fee will be added to the purchase price for each Expired Domain Name purchased. Your bid amount plus the one (1) year renewal or transfer fee (from the end of the domain name’s previous registration period), plus ICANN fee, if applicable, is due within twenty-four (24) hours of the notification of option to purchase the Expired Domain Name and if payment is not received within twenty-four (24) hours, GoDaddy may offer the Expired Domain Name to others for purchase. If the Expired Domain Name is reclaimed by the original registrant, GoDaddy will refund the full purchase price.

•••
Imho, this more understandable and logic that you always pay for +1y after expiration date of the domain (no matter if it's in the past or the future) then other registrars which don't include the remaining time until expiration but make you pay for 1y from the transfer date. Thus deleting your domain 1y after you transferred it eventhough the domain still has x months left until expiration (time between initial transfer and then expiration date)

Last edited:
•••
So just to clarify the process for any new readers...

Domains original registration expires on say Jan 1st

GoDaddy renews the registration for a year before putting it to auction with the knowledge they can get a refund if the name doesn't sell

Auction ends say Jan 31st and the winner pays back GoDaddy for the registration from Jan 1st

Auction winner has control of domain for 11 months before renewal

Makes sense to me

•••
I think it happened to me too multiple times when I was acquiring 4L on GD at a time when people were dropping them.

GD obviously would NOT let them drop and put them up for auction until someone bought them and it could have been a few months after expiring. That translated into paying several 1 year renewals that were not really 12 months AT ALL

One of the many unfair GD policies.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back