IT.COM

.org Girl Scouts join protest over sale of the .org domain

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Lox

____Top Member
Impact
The Girl Scouts of America and the YMCA have joined protests about the future of the ".org" domain.

They are among thousands of organisations and individuals concerned about the sale of the Public Internet Registry (PIR), which runs .org.

PIR was sold last week for an undisclosed sum to private equity firm Ethos Capital.

The scale of the protests have led the internet's overseer to look into the terms of the deal.

'Significant harm'

The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (Icann) said it was "in the process of analysing the specifics" of the sale.

read more (bbc)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The sale is indeed ridiculous. I don't support it too.

•••
Just frontend was sold...
Backend for .ORG is the same as always - Afilias.info
And TLD fees firstly depend on the backend prices, frontend just adds some margin on top.

•••
Is the news about .org renewals going up $3 after deal true?

•••
They should lower the annual fee, but slap a premium fee if an .org is unused after certain amount of time. Nobody should be prospecting on an dot-org. (Disclaimer: I own a dot-org, though I am willing to part way with it if a legitimate nonprofit approaches me)

•••
•••
Amazing, this is some awesome news..I'll look at it from a positive view as I dont have any .Org😃Increase .Org Price =Drop Domain, Shift from .Org to .biz .co .Com etc... = Increase in Sales for everyone not holding any .Org...Peace✌

•••
They should lower the annual fee
So ask Afilias to lower...
Something like +10% will be applied on Jan'1/2020 for all Afilias solely owned TLDs, and later should be the same increase for their managed TLDs.

Last edited:
•••
They should lower the annual fee, but slap a premium fee if an .org is unused after certain amount of time. Nobody should be prospecting on an dot-org. (Disclaimer: I own a dot-org, though I am willing to part way with it if a legitimate nonprofit approaches me)
This could be difficult. One man's use may be another man's non-use, if you get what I'm saying.

There's plenty of reasons to hold onto a domain and not use it with a publicly facing website.

Last edited:
•••
I understand why domains don't have a Web site. Writing is hard, and passion alone won't get you pass the hurdle. That's why many domainers talk about developing a domain (like dommunity.com ?) and never got anything done. However, if you drive up the holding cost, the financial incentive will provide the necessary impulse.

Anyway, forget about it. There are over 11 millions registered .ORG, and it would be too expensive implementing any anti-prospecting measure...

•••
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back