Dynadot

Game.com IDN Sells for a Whopping US$ 4250 on eBay

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

dollarfield

The Mean DomainerTop Member
Impact
Bringing cheers to many IDN marketers Game.com, a IDN domain, sold for a whopping US $4250 and that too in a resellers' market like eBay. This is noteworthy because many domain experts don't think IDN domains are profitable from domaining point of view. In fact, IDN market so far has been propelled by limited number of single character domain names.
I decided to analyse what actually transpired behind this big sale on eBay. The seller 'dondomain' appears to be a new seller. He has just 29 eBay transaction history. There were total of five bidders in the bidding. Three bidders dropped out when bidding crossed US$25. The rest two bidders bid fiercely for the fake gold. What is interesting is that one bidder has just 3 past transactions to his credit, while the other has six. It thus appears that the bidders are in dark about IDN though the seller has clearly stated in description page that the domain is an IDN. The other possibility is that such high price is triggered by a bidding war between the two, who wanted to obey their ego.
Whatsoever, this is good news for IDN domain marketers.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
How is an uniformed buyer overpaying for a purchase he doesn't understand good news for IDN domain sellers?

•••
How is an uniformed buyer overpaying for a purchase he doesn't understand good news for IDN domain sellers?
I did not confirm that the buyer is uninformed. This is just a possibility. Who knows, it could be due to bidding war or some other reason.
Whatsoever, a big IDN sale is definitely good news for IDN domain marketers like us.

•••
can you provide link to ebay sale?

•••
•••
I think this is the auction talked about:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/com-4-Lette...PREMIUM-listing-IDN-GoDaddy-com-/261863225680

It actually looks like the name did change hands since the sale, so it does look completed. I can say as one of the few who does understand real legitimate IDNs that this name I would place ZERO value on. It has 0 exact search, is mixed scripts with no real meaning in any language I am familiar with, and add to that, it was registered a few days before the sale. The seller was clear that it was an IDN in the description though, so if the buyer was also 100% clear on all these points too then that leaves little for us to argue about, other than we just don't see the value the way that buyer and seller both did. Personally though, its hard for me to believe as its a name that really has no true native meaning in any major language and in my opinion causes confusion rather than anything that would function as a authentic, memorable url.

Last edited:
•••
I saw this auction yesterday and felt really bad to be honest.... the buyer who won the auction seems to be new in this game and has been very well trapped by the seller. Although the seller did mention that it's IDN, but the logo and naming convention were all Game.com... I can't sell my 4L domain for more than $50 and this idiot seller has sold this IDN for $4250..

•••
Bringing cheers to many IDN marketers Game.com, a IDN domain, sold for a whopping US $4250 and that too in a resellers' market like eBay. This is noteworthy because many domain experts don't think IDN domains are profitable from domaining point of view. In fact, IDN market so far has been propelled by limited number of single character domain names.
I decided to analyse what actually transpired behind this big sale on eBay. The seller 'dondomain' appears to be a new seller. He has just 29 eBay transaction history. There were total of five bidders in the bidding. Three bidders dropped out when bidding crossed US$25. The rest two bidders bid fiercely for the fake gold. What is interesting is that one bidder has just 3 past transactions to his credit, while the other has six. It thus appears that the bidders are in dark about IDN though the seller has clearly stated in description page that the domain is an IDN. The other possibility is that such high price is triggered by a bidding war between the two, who wanted to obey their ego.
Whatsoever, this is good news for IDN domain marketers.

Hope my IDN BTÇ.COM would be same story....!!:xf.wink::xf.wink::xf.wink:

•••
These sorts of names will only ever be sold at a profit to people who don't know what they are doing. So I suppose it's great if you don't mind taking money from people who are basically making mistakes.

If you have an IDN that means something in the targeted language, that's another thing. Though, frankly, I no longer believe that they will take off in any big way. Roman letter usage will become more common, as will English usage - in my opinion.

IDNs can still earn their keep in parking though, especially when you have a company that advertises using an IDN.com while they only actually own the romanized.com. That can be a little money spinner.

•••
Seems like positive feedback has been given, the feedback "Great seller, smooth transaction, got from seller free IDN domains bonuses. Thx" sounds a bitch sketchy, as the buyer seems to know about IDNs, or maybe they don't realise the sold name is IDN also.

•••
upload_2015-4-28_17-44-55.png
Seems like positive feedback has been given, the feedback "Great seller, smooth transaction, got from seller free IDN domains bonuses. Thx" sounds a bitch sketchy, as the buyer seems to know about IDNs, or maybe they don't realise the sold name is IDN also.

Yes you are right!!

•••
It doesn't seem legit to me at all.

•••
Another IDN WINE.com sales for $102 today on eBay.

•••
Doesn't seam legit to me either, but it's possible. Even with the feedback being left, if the seller has multiple accounts that wouldn't be impossible to do. I feel bad for the buyer, even if he knew it was an IDN...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back