IT.COM

question Future of .xyz, .in?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

wepupil

Established Member
Impact
The most common and popular tld is undoubtedly com tld. The second is net tld. My prediction is future tld which may take 3rd and 4th place xyz and in tld. Do you think the same?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
COM, NET, ORG, CO ...

The "net" and "org" depends on the business, with regards to which would edge ahead. I'd be siding with a "dot co", before an "xyz", under most circumstances

IMO

Last edited:
•••
Alphabet, the Multinational conglomerate company has abc.xyz as their main website for years.
I think it gives a possible hint on the promising future of .xyz.
I wouldn't be surprised if it will eventually gradually replace or be at the same level usage scope as .net.

•••
Alphabet, the Multinational conglomerate company has abc.xyz as their main website for years.
I think it gives a possible hint on the promising future of .xyz.
I wouldn't be surprised if it will eventually gradually replace or be at the same level usage scope as .net.

There was a very specific reason they chose that combination of letters and extension.......

Larry Page said.....

"We liked the name Alphabet because it means a collection of letters that represent language, one of humanity’s most important innovations, and is at the core of how we index with Google search"

What better way to express the above in a domain than ABC . XYZ - the beginning to the end of the alphabet (LLL before and after the dot for symmetry)

Last edited:
•••
There was a very specific reason they chose that combination of letters and extension.......

Larry Page said.....

"We liked the name Alphabet because it means a collection of letters that represent language, one of humanity’s most important innovations, and is at the core of how we index with Google search"

What better way to express the above in a domain than ABC . XYZ - the beginning to the end of the alphabet (LLL before and after the dot for symmetry)

True, but Alphabet choosing .xyz tld does show a level of trust.
They wouldn't have chosen .xyz if they thought it is a trash tld, which obviously they probably don't think it is trash.

•••
This NamePros article on After COM, What Comes Next? had a user poll that garnered 500+ votes on what TLD they consider second, third, fourth...

https://www.namepros.com/blog/after-com-what-comes-next.1240400/

Voting was pretty close but the vote favoured .io then .net then .org.

I agree though that .xyz is getting stronger each month, and did get a significant number of votes at the time of the poll.

The big sales in .xyz recently seem largely in defi, crypto, NFT, blockchain. It will be interesting to see how rapidly it broadens. Of course many of the names that have sold for large amounts are generic that could have been brands in many different sectors.

Bob

Last edited:
•••
If Alphabet had chosen any other TLD, this TLD would probably have gained in popularity as well.

•••
We are talking about .in future over a decade...
Use searchbox and don't produce the same threads again and again.

Last edited:
•••
so far xyz has been doing well. if you have a good dictionary word you have a nice lottery ticket, or tickets in some cases lol. no one really knows, but with the metaverse hype and crypto it could be worth way more in the future and people who are selling now are underselling. Stuff needs to mature I think, same with .in, has a future, just gotta wait it out and hope its in the trend cause right now that's the trend, crypto, startups, rebranding for some.... the thing with trends is once it catches on it becomes like what bitcoin is and will be. I dont own any crypto, but I believed in xyz and I can see why its doing well. go against the grain, and we all know how xyz was here in 2015....

Last edited:
•••
I see both having a similar future to what they have now. Supplemental extensions. Too many choices that will eat up demand.

•••
.org is developed more than .net

If your going on popularity and end user intent then I like looking at how many developed sites are using a particular extension rather than the registered amount

https://w3techs.com/technologies/overview/top_level_domain
Unfortunately, W3techs is not accurate when it comes to measuring web usage. It focuses on the technologies used on websites rather than content. A web usage survey measures content and usage.

The .ORG is more like a ccTLD in terms of support whereas the .NET has been declining ever since the end of Domain Name tasting. While it was originally intended for networking, it became an alternative to .COM during the DotCOM bubble of the late 1990s. It is common to see the equivalent .NET owned by the .COM registant for brand protection purposes. The websites of some of these brand protection registrations are redirected to the .COM primary (that's one of the things that real Web Usage surveys measure). The .NET has been bouncing around 13 million registrations for a while and it doesn't seem to be gaining much momentum. The .ORG focused on cleaning out a lot of the junk discounted registrations that were dragging the quality of the gTLD down and it stopped some of the worst discounting offers a few years ago. Consequently, usage has improved. However, .NET and .ORG are finding it difficult to compete with the rise of the ccTLDs on a global basis.

Regards...jmcc

•••
The most common and popular tld is undoubtedly com tld. The second is net tld. My prediction is future tld which may take 3rd and 4th place xyz and in tld. Do you think the same?
Is your prediction based on facts and data?

The .XYZ is a gTLD. The .IN is a ccTLD. They are very different types of TLD. The .XYZ is selling to a global market (a small global market and many country level markets). The .IN is, effectively, selling to the Indian market (a large country level market with a very small global market).

The .XYZ is effectively two TLDs in one. There's a heavily discounted one where domain names are dropped after a year and there's one with development. However, it is not going to be a mainstream alternative to .COM as that is one of the blue chip TLDs in terms of web usage and development. The blue chip web usage rates are seen with strong TLDs (typically .COM, .ORG and the strong ccTLDs) and it is in the 30% to 40% range.

The .IN has some way to go in terms of development as the market seems to be focused on export. That means that the .IN is competing directly with .COM in the Indian market. What may happen over the next few years is that the .IN will become more inward focused and will overtake .COM registration numbers in the Indian market. The .IN ccTLD is still a relatively young TLD whereas .COM has been around since 1985.

The number of domain names registered in a TLD is not a reliable indication of how those domain names are used. At its peak, the .LOAN gTLD had around 2 million registrations. It only ever had a few hundred developed websites in that period. This is the problem that simply looking at the number of domain names registered creates. It is only one side of the story. What are more important is the level of usage and development in a TLD and how well that TLD serves its target market.

Regards...jmcc

•••
Unfortunately, W3techs is not accurate when it comes to measuring web usage. It focuses on the technologies used on websites rather than content. A web usage survey measures content and usage.

The .ORG is more like a ccTLD in terms of support whereas the .NET has been declining ever since the end of Domain Name tasting. While it was originally intended for networking, it became an alternative to .COM during the DotCOM bubble of the late 1990s. It is common to see the equivalent .NET owned by the .COM registant for brand protection purposes. The websites of some of these brand protection registrations are redirected to the .COM primary (that's one of the things that real Web Usage surveys measure). The .NET has been bouncing around 13 million registrations for a while and it doesn't seem to be gaining much momentum. The .ORG focused on cleaning out a lot of the junk discounted registrations that were dragging the quality of the gTLD down and it stopped some of the worst discounting offers a few years ago. Consequently, usage has improved. However, .NET and .ORG are finding it difficult to compete with the rise of the ccTLDs on a global basis.

Regards...jmcc
Thanks for that - any suggestions where to look for reliable data on web usage?

•••
•••
so far looking good for xyz

•••
Back