Dynadot

new gtlds .Club Challenges .XYZ to a Debate

NameSilo
Watch

Arpit131

Top Member
Impact
Colin CampbelI, founder of .CLUB, has officially challenged Daniel Negari, CEO of .XYZ, to a debate atTHE Domain Conferencethat takes place this September in Florida.
Colin is debating that free or nearly free domain names doesn't make a TLD popular.
Colin Campbell send the following tweet today:

Daniel says .XYX is #1. Let's discuss what makes a TLD great for domain investors

Source: Online Domain

.CLUB was a clear winner in my opinion until Google announced Alphabet and abc.xyz. I am having second thoughts.

Which side would you take??

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
I like .club but .xyz is neutral TLD and because of that he have a bright future.

•••
I would choose .XYZ like wdexw said it is a more neutral TLD
.CLUB in a way is more suitable for clubs.
But then again i have more .CLUB domains registered then what i have .XYZ

•••
.club is not bad but .xyz is better, imo

•••
Club for the win in that they actually have a marketing scheme and it works.

XYZ is fluff with a huge amount of free (or close to it) names.
As far Google and Alphabet is concerned, it's a non starter. Google did NOT pick up ABC in the XYZ extension because they liked the way it was marketed or they see value in it. No they got it because it was available, it works for what they want, and it's cute.

If Google really saw value here, they would have grabbed more then the one name. The got the one that worked with what their business name is, and it was off the beaten path.

Just my thought
Cheers

•••
I believe in 5 to 10 years not a single person will talk about xyz but club will still exist and serve clubs around the globe. Why? Because xyz has no inherent value, it's a meaningless extension that is over-hyped. Club on the other hand serves a purpose.

With gTLDs look at what your clients / visitors are searching for, then find an extension that matches.

•••
I believe in 5 to 10 years not a single person will talk about xyz but club will still exist and serve clubs around the globe. Why? Because xyz has no inherent value, it's a meaningless extension that is over-hyped. Club on the other hand serves a purpose.

With gTLDs look at what your clients / visitors are searching for, then find an extension that matches.

.xyz have a strong meanings, but most people don't see that.

•••
So has .abc, .123 et al. Besides you can put strong meanings in anything. Club at least, mean something to most people and not a selected few.

•••
So has .abc, .123 et al. Besides you can put strong meanings in anything. Club at least, mean something to most people and not a selected few.
English spoken market its not an only market on the World. In some countries .xyz is far better than a .club and have a stronger and logical meaning + he is neutral.
.abc and all others = ... ; but .xyz = . !

•••
also as an extension .xyz doesn't sound right due to extra syllables...

•••
.Club and .Work each have real world, useful semantic meanings. And they're affordable, short, memorable, and not confusing. Which is why long-term these shall be winners.

•••
As far as what side, the lawyers will handle all that.

Now, as far as sales, which I think would be the important thing to domainers, using namebio as a source - http://namebio.com/

I tried sales over $1,000:

.club - 72
.xyz - 3

Last edited:
•••
I registed like.club, so I like.club

•••
if I had to pick one , it would definitely be .CLUB , winner by tko (techinal knock out ). in fact I'm considering getting a few .club domains if I can find something that works .

Last edited:
•••
I registed like.club, so I like.club
what does that even mean ? , like.club , if you buy domains their should be a purpose to it , wether you want to build a site or re-sell , the name must work with the extension somehow otherwise it's just a waste of money . like.club & many others I've seen in the .club extension just doesn't make any sense .... now , if your buying a domain just cause it's available & you want to say hey , I own a domain or two that's up to you . to be a domainer you have to be smart & wait for your opportunities & chances , before you push that "pay now" button think about the domain & wether you have a realistic shot at building something useful on it or selling it , just my 2 cents worth .

Last edited:
•••

Exactly.
Most don't look beyond their own culture for meaning.
xyz in the china market relates to : little universe.
Cheers

•••
most clubs don't have time or care or know how, to build website.
what I never been able to understand is why you can't buy a domain name and in 1 click you have a online site thats why lots the clubs use Facebook no hosting pointing stuff tech talk

can't just offer them a domain name and think get on with it.

Debate free or Not Free domains ?

Facebooks free, its about what you get for your time, when you have all the other things in your life to do.

Last edited:
•••
First of all, the challenge is unsound - I always encourage registrars to price their TLDs very low. If you price your TLD anything above $10, you won't be able to compete in the general purpose usage, unless your TLD is very special. Having said that, the popularity of .xyz is fake. To me, it's one of the ugliest TLDs out there. I would never consider using it for my website. The only exception would be if this was an website related to words, lists, sorting, etc. Otherwise, not a chance. .club is a nice TLD, but not necessarily for general purposes. There are certainly better gTLDs, my favorite is .cloud, than .space.

•••
At the end of the day, both of these TLDs are quite successful (especially for being so new) and they occupy their own market. Not everything needs to be for a global audience. And not every website needs to be a club. The debate is a hype event, but I think both sides know that they have their own territory.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back