NameSilo

Funny Way of Selling Domains

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Delete

Account Suspended
Impact
Recently I been registering names that wouldnt even pull in reg fee at forums but I found a new technique. If the other extensions are taken I send a polite email to the owners or other domains similar to it and the response i have been getting are sweet :!: Most are only $50-100 sales but early today I sealed a deal at $1500. (Had the same name on here for $15 and didnt sell) It just might be worth it to send a polite email every now and then before you toss your domain in the bulk bin :lol:

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
To RJ: Hi,
You are right that UDRP dispute can be started by anyone against anyone for any reason but please refer at http://www.namepros.com/showthread.php?threadid=13624 what I referred is as follows:
"There are 'Three' situations where serious claim can be proved under UDRP:
1) Domain is identical or confusingly similar to a trademark or service mark in which the complainant has the rights;
2) Complainant has no rights or ligitimate interests in respect of the domain name and
3) Domain name has been registered and is being used in bad faith.
In the administrative proceedings the complainant MUST prove that EACH OF THE THREE ELEMENTS are present."

Considering conditions of above elements, even if complaint is launched by any one, if it's not 'Valid' it would not be entertained and thus rejected in the very first place. It's also understandable that if everyone was free just to pull weak competitors legs, small DN or website holders could hardly survive against big DN grabbers like Amazon etc. Further, apart from generic names, all TMs are registered for any specific 'Class' of goods or services... and such classification by itself decides the validity of complainant's claim for any DN to be in accordance with above referred conditional elements ...
Crux of my this statement is 'Complaint should be 'justified' and 'valid' as per lapplicable laws.
Regards.

Last edited:
•••
Well said Zulfi, that's a good summary of the UDRP rules.

My only point here would be if someone happened to come into posession of a name that another company may consider as a trademark, it's not always a complete wash as there's potential to come to a reasonable settlement with the trademark holder, rather than the need for a UDRP.

Many times trademarks are not clear, or black and white. Sometimes a domain can have different meanings to different people and mean other things in different industries.

Thanks for clarifying your statement.

•••
Rightly said.... even some words mean different things in other languages.
But here I would add that for example someone registers a domain 'abcde.info' or .biz, in that situation we don't even need to refer to UDRP because a sufficient 'Sunrise' period was allowed to TM registrars world wide. I lost 'Textile.biz' and 'Cotton.biz' because some others had somehow registered TMs in certain 'Class' of goods or services. Yes... this is how it happens and how it works...

•••
This selling "approach" is used by urlcollection.com.
I have received a few emails from them saying:

As a courtesy, it is our company policy to notify all surrounding extension owners
of the above domain name, that we may be offering this Internet Identity to the
general public. All domain's we hold in our inventory, before being marketed, have a
notification letter sent to the owners of every extension of the same domain name.
If you have an interest in this domain name, please contact us at your convenience.

At the URL Collection - we pride ourselves in marketing thousands of only the finest
Domain Name Address's available each year. We are Worldwide Domain Brokers with
offices in New York City, Tampa and London and owners of over 900 websites around
the globe.Domain Names are all registered with an Icann accredited registrar and can
be transferred within 24 Hours. "

•••
Hi Dvddrip...!!

Let your emailers say whatever suits themselves.... But you didn't tell us what do you think about them????

Are they beholders of some kinda divine revelation ??.... some sorta.. DN-Gurus ??? who are they , BTW.???

If I send you the same email through one of my websites, then would you give that (shit email...??) the same weight to discuss at this forum ???

•••
Zulfi I don't get what you want!

I just made a simple post.

Maybe you want complain to Delete as well for starting this thread!

•••
This was an informative thread. Thanks guys :D

•••
Originally posted by -RJ-
A UDRP dispute can be started on any domain by anyone for any reason. It's up to a judge to decide whether they have enough grounds to take the name. The decisions overwhelmingly favor the complainants too.

It's near impossible to stick solely to generic terms. Almost every term has someone that could have a claim on it. :)

Yes, and this is what I have found out a bit more about with the bigdogs.com vs my site bigdog2.com. Part of the problem seems to be that if you "offer" the name for sale to them that right off the bat is counted as "bad faith". I am not sure how to get around this, but I wonder if there is someway to find out if they are interested with out offering the site for sale?

I just sent out a letter to meljr.com not to long ago to just check for interest but not ask if the name is for sale. It went something like this:

****start of email****
Hi meljr.com I tried to go to your website but only
got your name. My name is Melvin Conley,
some times called meljr. I am looking for a website
name to go with the stuff at my other site which is
http://www.BigDog2.com .

I have considered registering meljr2.com but thought I
might check with you real fast to see what you might
be planning to do with your domain name.

If you have any interest at all in talking about this
please email me.

Thanks
meljr

ps -- great site name!

********end of email*******

I wonder if there is someway to see if they have any interest with out an outright offer to sell? Anyone else ever have problems in this area?

meljr

Boy, things move fast on this forum. While I was composing my last post, and before I posted it, several other really good post were added that covered very nicely what I had been trying to say.

WOW!

meljr

Last edited:
•••
Originally posted by Zulfi
Hi Dvddrip...!!

Let your emailers say whatever suits themselves.... But you didn't tell us what do you think about them????

Are they beholders of some kinda divine revelation ??.... some sorta.. DN-Gurus ??? who are they , BTW.???

If I send you the same email through one of my websites, then would you give that (shit email...??) the same weight to discuss at this forum ???

Zulfi, I think something got lost in the translation back there.

Perhaps you're over your beer quota again. :) Stay cool, folks.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back