Dynadot

.mobi From Slashdot: ICANN Approves .MOBI...

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Cpyder writes "ICANN has decided to go forward with the implementation of two new top level domains, namely .mobi (for mobile use, sponsored by Nokia and T-Mobile) and .jobs (for job sites). The ICANN Board meetings regarding the approval are available. It is not yet known when these domains will be available for registration, as this decision merely starts the technical and business negotiations for terms under which these domains will be registered. Normally the domains should become active somewhere next year. Several other new TLDs are still up for discussion. These include .asia, .mail, .tel and .xxx. Last October, ICANN approved .travel and .post. More on these new TLDs at PCWorld and Google News."

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Thanks for the post, looks like some interesting TLDs are in the works. The .mail and .mobi could be interesting in the long run for those type of sites.

•••
I cringe every time I hear of a new TLD. Is it just me?

•••
I think .mobi (if available for unrestricted use) has awesome potential for services like text delivery, etc.

yz0rx said:

•••

Actually I laugh when people try to sell these new domains for ridiculous amounts so they provide some humor. On a more serious note, though, I don't think they're a problem so long as it's reasonable and we don't go TLD crazy (literally).

•••
They should have just went .mobile, only 2 more letters, i can understand why not just .mob but ive never once heard anyone use the term mobi, just looks/sounds funny/kiddish to me.

•••
.mobi does sound funny to me also. However, I believe .mobi would fit many more languages than .mobile.

Not everyone in this world speaks English :alien:

Tippy said:
They should have just went .mobile, only 2 more letters, i can understand why not just .mob but ive never once heard anyone use the term mobi, just looks/sounds funny/kiddish to me.

•••
.mobi sounds too much like a low quality pop artist from the early part of this century.

-Allan

•••
Hm, Moby Grape?

IAmAllanShore said:
.mobi sounds too much like a low quality pop artist from the early part of this century.

-Allan

•••
sounds so lame........nah don't like it...

•••
Actually, I DO kinda like the .mobi ext .. but the point is, will the buying public accept it? What puposes can and will it be applied to?

•••
I'm with you guys ... ".MOBI" sounds kind of silly, IMHO. :blink:

Moby Dick? :laugh:

Though I may like the ".JOBS" and ".MAIL" one day!
B-)

•••
CoolJeff.com said:
Though I may like the ".JOBS" and ".MAIL" one day!
B-)

How about getting blow and hand for .jobs? :sold:

•••
why the hell would they go .jobs and not .job, i cant think of 100's of more domains that go with that.

•••
*.Mobi, that's kinda cool, lol.
Damned T-Mobile took off my web-browsing though, after re-whoring their plans (my plan orignally had unlimited web access on it and now they cut it out, so if I want it I pay an extra $5.00 - tightwads)

•••
•••
.mobi doesn't sound all that bad really, but I'm pretty sure it will be expensive once it is made to public.

•••
Raf said:
.mobi doesn't sound all that bad really, but I'm pretty sure it will be expensive once it is made to public.
especially because it's T-Moble and Nokia

•••
So they picked .mobi over .xxx? Wow, they need to fire a few morons over there...

•••
I like .jobs but its hard to think of a good name, I mean like the.jobs or something I don't know... Hard to make one that makes sense.

•••
construction.jobs, landscaping.jobs, high-paying.jobs, etc..

Nunim said:
I like .jobs but its hard to think of a good name, I mean like the.jobs or something I don't know... Hard to make one that makes sense.

•••
.jobs is too specific for my liking... however .mail is a great name for email companies.

•••
I'll definetly attempt to snatch up some of those .jobs. I wouldn't mind seeing .news and .fun someday. I just hope they don't go over board... keep it simple until all the extensions become similar to the .com. :tu:

•••
Oops, how do you guys think about my dotmobi.com? :p

•••
You have dotmobi.com? I have dotmobi.name! Hehe.. thought the .name fit as in domain name...

.net said:
Oops, how do you guys think about my dotmobi.com? :p

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back