NameSilo

.com FreeVideoPlayer.com goes for $33k at GD (What??)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

akos

Top Member
Impact
Just saw this sale on Namebio and it shocked me instantly. I thought it would be interesting to discuss the motivation behind such a big sale.
It's interesting because there are loads of extension that are available: .net, .co, .info, .us etc...
The domain was regged in 2003. (14 years old, not that special IMO)
Estibot is relatively small as well ($510) and the number of exact searches per month stands at about 8k.
Don't know who the seller is but congrats (edit: possibly was an expiring auction after checking whois). No info on the buyer either.

What's your opinion? Was it a fake sale or not? Because to me, it seems pretty crazy.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I was watching it in auction.. Didn't surprise me much tbh.. Then again nothing in this industry really surprises me anymore :)

•••
True Sell. But Expired Auction. So, Current Register Can Renew this anytime.:xf.cool:

•••
I was watching it in auction.. Didn't surprise me much tbh.. Then again nothing in this industry really surprises me anymore :)
idk why it doesnt' surprise u tank :P. It's 33k USD....

2.5k monthly searches with $0.85 cpc????

All other extensions available...........................

This doesn't add up. You'd think $3,000 sure. But $33,000, lol what are they buying a 3L? Oh that's another thing, it's a three-keyword domain blahbalhl. Nothing adds up.

And if you consider that most, if not all, video players are free... like do you know anyone who actually would buy a video player. Everyone uses VLC or the stuff that comes with your OS.

I can't see the value. I do hope a domainer didn't buy it.

•••

This doesn't add up. You'd think $3,000 sure. But $33,000, lol what are they buying a 3L? Oh that's another thing, it's a three-keyword domain blahbalhl. Nothing adds up.

And if you consider that most, if not all, video players are free... like do you know anyone who actually would buy a video player. Everyone uses VLC or the stuff that comes with your OS.

Exactly what I was thinking.

•••

Question is, why would it surprise you? I didn't say I thought it may or may not be fake.. I don't see how it could surprise anyone who has ever kept track of GD auctions ;)

•••
Question is, why would it surprise you? I didn't say I thought it may or may not be fake.. I don't see how it could surprise anyone who has ever kept track of GD auctions ;)

LOL so you're saying they shill bid all the way to $33,000.00. Kinda far-fetched, don't you think ;)

•••
•••
•••
Yep it was an established site and godaddy auctions showed it was getting huge type in traffic.
Nonetheless a truly ridiculous price.

•••
holy molly

I was one of the bidder and my high bid was $1256

was watching it to climb it to 3k and then got busy with work, today when I saw it clocked 33k

unbelievable

•••
•••
The domain was renewed Aaron Weber of Blue Labs is still the owner and the nameservers went back to where they had been before expiration.

I will contact @Michael at Namebio to let him know to remove.

•••
The domain was renewed Aaron Weber of Blue Labs is still the owner and the nameservers went back to where they had been before expiration.

I will contact @Michael at Namebio to let him know to remove.
That's going to be quite a refund if the buyer paid already.

•••
That's going to be quite a refund if the buyer paid already.

Could be worse than that.

When I have been refunded by godaddy before for auctions the owner renewed I always get charged a fee from my UK bank as they almost look at it like a new transaction and as a payment received from the US. In such a circumstance I would have lost a ton of money ($500+) on a payment this big with nothing received in return.

I hope the payer either didn't pay or has a bank that doesn't charge for refunds for international payments.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back