Dynadot

FreeBSD

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I am getting ready to move. Houston is just not the paradise that I hoped it would be. So, I am throwing all the stuff away that I just will never need, starting with my old technical books, which brings me to my old FreeBSD books. I googled FreeBSD and just couldn't verify that FreeBSD was a completely dead technology. And FreeBSD apparently offers a feature called Jail which protects users from the poor PHP designs of other users. And Linux has no protection as robust as Jail. On the other hand, I never saw anyone offer a hosting service based on FreeBSD. So I have this question: If FreeBSD isn't a dead technology, why don't hosting companies use it?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
There are not much developed on freeBSD compared to main Linux distros. Hosting companies want security, easyness to install,uninstall and configure packages. Debian and redhat are really a much better option for hosting companies. Also, for vps, they use KVM or VZ or Xen. These programs can run on any POSIX platform of course, but they are tested much more on the main Linux distros. A default misconfiguration or something not long tested can leave a security hole. So the package managers are very important. Also, don t forget that most sysadmins are on Linux. It s the mainstream now days. I am talking for *nix OSes only. So the companies can find employees much easier. Yes, you need people who know what they are doing to run the servers.
Well, that s the main reasons in my opinion. But many of them give you the option to install freeBSD or whatever OS you like(except windows for licencing reasons). So you can upload your own image and enjoy.

•••
I'd throw all your FreeBSD books away as well. It's not dead. But it's probably on life support. I don't think I've ever seen any announcement for any upgrades to FreeBSD. But that might be because I'm "not in the loop". And what @FNet says above, is all true. It would be a 1 in 5M jobs (a complete guess out of thin air) which might require detailed knowledge of FreeBSD. If that. If you find one, you can always then buy an updated book :)

It would be a much more interesting subject to ask where you are moving to :)

Last edited:
•••
@stub, I didn t want to give the impression that I advice him to throw his books away. They may have collective value in the future. And with the speed the planet move then maybe every book on paper will be a collective item :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back