Dynadot

Frank Schilling Interview

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Nice read! Thanks for posting. :)

•••
•••
Rep++

Best Domainer's interview I've read in a while. Excellent questions.

•••
Excellent learning material. Thank you!

•••
I miss reading his blog back in the day...

•••
I miss reading his blog back in the day...

Something I just now realized (which I'm sure others have realized and/or pointed out before, but it's new to me...)

March 20th, 2008, Rick Schwartz announced his last blog post.
Franks last blog post was one day later, March 21st, 2008.

FRANK: Blogging was a terrific outlet for me and at the time when I began few openly spoke about the domain industry in a meaningful way. Since, however, many others have begun disseminating correct and timely information about the space (including dnjournal.com, thedomains.com, domainnnamewire.com, domainnamenews.com).

Additionally, blogging puts me in a bit of a bind. My kids are getting older and pull more of my time, business challenges abound in these recessionary years, and I lose a tactical advantage by openly espousing my ideas and beliefs about business. If I tell everyone everything I’m up to, I lose a competitive edge.

I'm wondering if some of the industry heavy-hitters didn't put their heads together and realize that a "more educated" base of competition wasn't necessarily a better thing in this industry... I'm confident that Rick Schwartz and Frank Schilling ending their blogging within a day of each other was NOT a coincidence.

•••
It looks like he is saying that the worst is yet to come and domain prices will go lower come the Fall. (U.S).

But reading I still get an underlying feeling he is saying *hang on in there* :)

•••
He's saying keep your powder dry and load up as much of it as possible.
The funny thing about economic crises is that we see them before we feel them.
We've seen what's in store; we haven't even begun to feel it.

Once we start feeling it, that's when prices 'get real' awfully fast. The real-time consequences for the current US unemployment rate are profound, but they haven't even arrived yet. If it actually gets worse? LOL....

•••
Frank is one of my heroes.

•••
hough there isn't much in the way of news in .ca domains lately, there has been a lot happening in the overall domaining world.

The biggest news I've seen lately is that Paul Sloan, a writer who has written extensively on the domain and internet markets

One of the first articles he posted was an interview with Frank Schilling. I enjoyed Frank's blog at SevenMile.com while it lasted, and hadn't heard much about what he's been doing lately, other than reports of experimenting with his landing pages. The interview gives some current views that Frank has about the domain market and is a great read.

•••
I like his comment about $500 entry into domaining. I see too often new domainers with even less than that trying to lowball everything. It's annoying.

I'm wondering if some of the industry heavy-hitters didn't put their heads together and realize that a "more educated" base of competition wasn't necessarily a better thing in this industry... I'm confident that Rick Schwartz and Frank Schilling ending their blogging within a day of each other was NOT a coincidence.

I had not noticed that either but it makes sense. I am sure they were starting to feel a pinch from competition and they realized it was them fueling it.

•••
I miss Frank sharing his insight. 'nuff said.

Rob

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back