NameSilo

Google Forwarding or Redirecting a domain

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Hey everyone, Happy New Year!

I am trying to find out some information about domain extensions in terms of seo. Say you have hhhh.com and you also have the .org and .net. I know it is good to redirect those and Google will not view it as duplicate content. What about the other extensions though?

Also, what if you have another domain completely but want to redirect it to another site. I know this is a no no and will do damage but what if you did a redirect using a meta tag with a delay and used robots.txt to block the domain from being crawled. This way you could at least gather some of that domains traffic.

I know ultimately it would be best to develop a domain and then link it but I am just talking hypothetically here. Would the above redirect work without damage? Is there another way to do this without damage?

Thanks!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Also, what if you have another domain completely but want to redirect it to another site. I know this is a no no and will do damage but what if you did a redirect using a meta tag with a delay and used robots.txt to block the domain from being crawled. This way you could at least gather some of that domains traffic.

Nothing wrong with redirecting one domain to another. Just set up a 301, preferably directing pages in the old site to their equivalents in the new site.

If you do it on a large scale it may set off a red flag somewhere, but onesie-twosies shouldn't cause problems.

•••
I agree that doing a couple top level domains is ok but redirecting others I think is not good these days.
I have done a little testing with this and saw a couple of my sites improve after removing some domain redirects but those were not the same domain.

I know Google can see if a domain is sharing a .com and a .net but I am not so sure about the others. It would seem reasonable to me to have many of the other extensions pointing at the main domain. I have heard though that only a couple top level's are ok.

Thanks for the reply,
Rich

•••
- Someone rebrands or their company is acquired by another and they point their old domain to new - Google's not going to punish that.

- Someone defensively registers additional extensions or a typo of their name and sets up permanent redirects - Not going to get punished for that.

- Register a domain totally unrelated to yours because it has backlinks and traffic and 301 it to your main site - now things start lookiing a little spammy. (Still doesn't mean anything's going to "happen" to you, just increases the risk.)

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back