IT.COM

Former OpenAI Exec SLAMS Domain Industry

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
A millionaire crying about not getting free stuff.

Never heard that one before.

😂😂😂😂😂
Are a lot on Earth
You dont meet with them ? Real or virtual

🤪

•••
Head of "developer relations" but shits on domainers, many of whom are developers.

The reason they are taken is because they're reserved for projects.

He can go swivel, he's lame for not anticipating it when others did.

Developers CAN develop, on any domain of their choosing as long as it's available.

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
Fun fact: you can even develop without a domain! ;)
Indeed. Any domain or none. Most domains that developers actually need are cheap or freely available. It's a fallacy that one needs to buy a one worder to succeed, quite the opposite.

•••
Anyone can still build on products using an .ai domain for just $72

It's just the premium and highly brand-able costs premium dollars, this guy may have no idea what he is talking about.

It's like when an ai product is successful asking to give away the product since it's an ai product 😂

(btw ai companies are valued at a premium of 35 - 40 times revenue multiples while SaaS companies at just 7x)

•••
These people have no clue about the value of digital assets. If he was trying to get Logan dot ai (just an example) it is registered in many extensions as are most quality dictionary or most first name words.

There is also a sense of entitlement in these younger gens. And playing victim. “oh you have what I want and you want money for it ? you terrible old boomer!”

Last edited:
•••
Why didn't he tell the owner that he needed the domain for a school project?

•••
Welp, I guess that literally settles it...

.ai is the choice for ai domains and not .com

•••
•••
Why didn't he tell the owner that he needed the domain for a school project?

He could have said it's for a non-profit organization making open AI software, named OpenAI.
Oh, wait...

Last edited:
•••
Logan was terminated/departed from OpenAI on March 1st.

He has not updated his LinkedIn or personal website.

Since I couldn't edit my original claim that he's still at the company, I want to emphasize BocaVision's correction of me, although OpenAI is now well-known for rehiring people that they've just ousted. :oops:

Anyway, Logan & the dev gang quite nicely showed that they desperately want something we (some of us) have. Makes me want to raise my prices.

Last edited:
•••
Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
Like an alarming number of people, he's a pure capitalist when he's selling, but an absolute communist when he's buying.

It's partially a naive ideology, but it's also an indicator of a narcissistic personality; those who only view the world through their own eyes without acknowledging that others even exist in "their world". Everything is about them and their needs and %$#& the rest of us.

Last edited:
•••
Not surprising response since Open Ai was trained on scraping copyrighted content.

Take a look at this interview with the CTO about what training data was used to train Sora:

Same company Logan said he backed bought Cognition and Dev .Ai domains for total $140K USD. Good thing they don't think like him.

Last edited:
•••
Not surprising response since Open Ai was trained on scraping copyrighted content.

Take a look at this interview with the CTO about what training data was used to train Sora:

It's like those spammers that write "we obtained your e-mail from a publicly available source" but of course they won't tell which one, just in case it's not true.

•••
Does Namepros have security measures against bots like ChatGPT? Sometimes when I go chk it I see my words in his replies, just like a grabber of parrot.

•••
I thought "slamming someone" meant something more than just briefly whining about something ridiculous that obviously is not going to change.

•••
I thought "slamming someone" meant something more than just briefly whining about something ridiculous that obviously is not going to change.

You might want to read ALL of his replies in the Twitter thread. It was hardly a "brief" 1-post exchange and he jumped in there feet-first with the rest of the nitwits.

Last edited:
•••
You might want to read ALL of his replies in the Twitter thread. It was hardly a "brief" 1-post exchange and he jumped in there feet-first with the rest of the nitwits.
Complaining about the domain market is like complaining about the housing market: It's perfectly reasonable (and acceptable) to do so.

But it's not really a problem for domain speculators because nothing is going to change. When you registered (or bought) a domain you entered a contract that gave you exclusive rights to use that domain, or to sell those rights. On top of that the government of Anguilla aren't going to make any more money off end-users than speculators. In fact they're going to make less money if they don't allow speculation, because the consequence of that is fewer registrants.

But for domainers to come out and respond "you're just poor," "greedy millionaire problems," "pay up or shut up," etc. is just petty and ultimately only poisons the relation with potential clients.

Be the bigger man, act professional. Make it clear that you bought the domain as an investment, and the fact that the domain even is for sale should be seen as an opportunity.

Last edited:
•••
•••
did you buy that from a third party of hand reg?
not sure if I understand your question...that company bought devin.ai(they bought both cognition.ai and devin.ai if I read correctly), I have nothing with this other than read that post....😂

•••
Highly influential AI Engineer + Harvard Alum, Logan Kilpatrick targets Domain Industry.

Several AI Founders/Engineers reply/share their opinion.......

People sitting on and holding great .ai domains names are so lame (including people trying to sell them for $30k).

Let them be free. Let developers build.
You can tell him some of us are ! But they still are not free !
But I have little desire to hold .AI

And think the whole thing has been a bit of a shame by the registry.
Rick might have been helping someone out. Seems like a good gig.
Every one word name it seems is 'make offer' even if it is not registered.
If true, I would say that removes the small investor who sells to later investors who end up holding them to the end of time. So it seems like the registry 'makes' the initial investment value.
Not individuals, and that would be immediately, no waiting.

Value is in the eye of the beholder who likely has not thought this through very well.
And it's off to the races. And I'm just a spectator.
Most everyone/leaders in the biz already have a name and does not use AI in it.
I see no reason for that to change.
And I'm not sure I see future end user need in the same. But I'm sure their will be a few/some.
Just one investors opinion. Taking a pass....

•••