Dynadot

Former OpenAI Exec SLAMS Domain Industry

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Yes and we all wish we bought ocean front property back in the day when it was cheap.

•••
Like an alarming number of people, he's a pure capitalist when he's selling, but an absolute communist when he's buying.

It's partially a naive ideology, but it's also an indicator of a narcissistic personality; those who only view the world through their own eyes without acknowledging that others even exist in "their world". Everything is about them and their needs and %$#& the rest of us.

Last edited:
•••
Wake me up when there's some fresh argument. 🥱

•••
For what ?
To make ONLY THEM MONEY?
...because this is the real message of this guy

Probably is frustrated he want to buy a domain .ai & need to pay 30k 😉

Give me a brake
Keep .ai & sell it with much more money if is possible who have .ai

They destroy almost all domain names industry with Ai so at least to recover some money

Last edited:
•••
A millionaire crying about not getting free stuff.

Never heard that one before.

•••
He's still at OpenAI, head of developer relations. They are sitting on AGI, set it free and let it be free!

Last edited:
•••
People hoarding prime real estate, let them give it away, let developers build!

People not releasing the code of their AI system, let it be free, let developers build!

Most end users registering domains at reg price or buying them premium will never build anything. If a developer with a track record came to be and said give me your name for free, I will pay you a percentage or a fee once we make money, I would entertain it and many others will too.

•••
Oh he's definitely pissed-off about a specific domain alright. He didn't just pull that $30k out of the air. If he has identified an AI domain for a development project we know it's going to be a good un

Perhaps he would feel better if it was a Registry premium domain with a repeated high cost yearly renewal. Then he can slag-off the whole Capitalist system

Last edited:
•••
I didn't know enough things back when I could have afforded buying good .ai, therefore I don't have any and I am not included in the group of investors Mr. Kilkpatrick is complaining about.

However, I would like to point out that there's a false syllogism hidden in the two last sentences of their post: it implies that, because .ai domains aren't available, developers can't build. That's not true.

Last edited:
•••
Head of "developer relations" but shits on domainers, many of whom are developers.

The reason they are taken is because they're reserved for projects.

He can go swivel, he's lame for not anticipating it when others did.

Developers CAN develop, on any domain of their choosing as long as it's available.

Last edited:
•••
Highly influential AI Engineer + Harvard Alum, Logan Kilpatrick targets Domain Industry.

Several AI Founders/Engineers reply/share their opinion.......

People sitting on and holding great .ai domains names are so lame (including people trying to sell them for $30k).

Let them be free. Let developers build.
You can tell him some of us are ! But they still are not free !
But I have little desire to hold .AI

And think the whole thing has been a bit of a shame by the registry.
Rick might have been helping someone out. Seems like a good gig.
Every one word name it seems is 'make offer' even if it is not registered.
If true, I would say that removes the small investor who sells to later investors who end up holding them to the end of time. So it seems like the registry 'makes' the initial investment value.
Not individuals, and that would be immediately, no waiting.

Value is in the eye of the beholder who likely has not thought this through very well.
And it's off to the races. And I'm just a spectator.
Most everyone/leaders in the biz already have a name and does not use AI in it.
I see no reason for that to change.
And I'm not sure I see future end user need in the same. But I'm sure their will be a few/some.
Just one investors opinion. Taking a pass....

•••
A great .ai domain for $30k?

You'll be lucky to get one for that price......

That seems to be the asking rate for good 2 word .ai domains

Great one word domains are starting in the xxx,xxx range

•••
People hoarding prime real estate, let them give it away, let developers build!

People not releasing the code of their AI system, let it be free, let developers build!

Most end users registering domains at reg price or buying them premium will never build anything. If a developer with a track record came to be and said give me your name for free, I will pay you a percentage or a fee once we make money, I would entertain it and many others will too.

People don't realise that with premium domains they'd either be taken by domainers or by competition. And good luck buying your dream domain from competition.

•••
These people have no clue about the value of digital assets. If he was trying to get Logan dot ai (just an example) it is registered in many extensions as are most quality dictionary or most first name words.

There is also a sense of entitlement in these younger gens. And playing victim. “oh you have what I want and you want money for it ? you terrible old boomer!”

Last edited:
•••
Why didn't he tell the owner that he needed the domain for a school project?

•••
The beauty of owning a domain name is that almost anyone on the planet can buy and invest in a global address, premium properties get big payouts.

•••
Anyone can still build on products using an .ai domain for just $72

It's just the premium and highly brand-able costs premium dollars, this guy may have no idea what he is talking about.

It's like when an ai product is successful asking to give away the product since it's an ai product 😂

(btw ai companies are valued at a premium of 35 - 40 times revenue multiples while SaaS companies at just 7x)

•••
He's not wrong though. We are glorified domain squatters.
Not really. Domain squatting is a legal term relating to registering trademarked domains.

•••
This is also something I took note of. He's providing a ton of free content (that a lot of people rely on to make money).

I doubt this is personal, let alone motivated by greed.

I agree, it's motivated by a naive ideology.

•••
In place of you who own .AI domains I would not sell to them but keep non developed or develop them, but better to not develop so they chew our coms.
Edit: because the AI is our enemy not friend, it was developed by human laziness and those who own everything in the world!

Last edited:
•••
Fun fact: you can even develop without a domain! ;)
Indeed. Any domain or none. Most domains that developers actually need are cheap or freely available. It's a fallacy that one needs to buy a one worder to succeed, quite the opposite.

•••
•••
You might want to read ALL of his replies in the Twitter thread. It was hardly a "brief" 1-post exchange and he jumped in there feet-first with the rest of the nitwits.
Complaining about the domain market is like complaining about the housing market: It's perfectly reasonable (and acceptable) to do so.

But it's not really a problem for domain speculators because nothing is going to change. When you registered (or bought) a domain you entered a contract that gave you exclusive rights to use that domain, or to sell those rights. On top of that the government of Anguilla aren't going to make any more money off end-users than speculators. In fact they're going to make less money if they don't allow speculation, because the consequence of that is fewer registrants.

But for domainers to come out and respond "you're just poor," "greedy millionaire problems," "pay up or shut up," etc. is just petty and ultimately only poisons the relation with potential clients.

Be the bigger man, act professional. Make it clear that you bought the domain as an investment, and the fact that the domain even is for sale should be seen as an opportunity.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back