Dynadot

Former OpenAI Exec SLAMS Domain Industry

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Not surprising response since Open Ai was trained on scraping copyrighted content.

Take a look at this interview with the CTO about what training data was used to train Sora:

Same company Logan said he backed bought Cognition and Dev .Ai domains for total $140K USD. Good thing they don't think like him.
I'm sure they will be paying back every cent to those who created the original source material...

•••
He's not wrong though. We are glorified domain squatters.

•••
He's not wrong though. We are glorified domain squatters.
Not really. Domain squatting is a legal term relating to registering trademarked domains.

•••
I'm a developer and I own domain names.

•••
On the other hand, I hate to see a good domain name wasted on a bad idea or execution.

A good domain name is just part of the marketing and branding cost. After a developer gained some traction, one should just use the VC money to pay for a premium domain name as part of an overall marketing strategy. Every few years, we get a new kid on the block who complains about an existing business model. Sometimes, we get disruptive technologies; sometimes, we don't.

Last edited:
•••
In terms of real estate:

Somebody owns a home and you occupy without their permission is Squatting

You bought or mortgage your home and stay in it, it's Primary Home (investment)

You own a home and rent it, Investment property (investment + passive income)

Digital real estate, domains:

Somebody owns a trademark and you have a domain/website to infringing on their rights, misleading visitors, etc., it's Domain Squatting (a legal term)
(the details of who registered first, what's their intention, timing, etc., are used to validate this claim)

You registered / bought, consistently renew & either host website, park or don't even do anything for future use, it's Domain Investment (trader, flipper, etc.. are further classification of how they do business with that domain)

IMHO

•••
On the other hand, I hate to see a good domain name wasted on a bad idea or execution.
agree however it's not ours to decide, its the owners to decide.

we can negotiate / convince owner for a price to sell in that case

Last edited:
•••