IT.COM

Forgot to remove domain on Sedo, now its sold. Any Advice?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

mrwebmaster

Established Member
Impact
I didn't renew the domain, since it's not very valuable. It was listed at $90 BIN, and now it's registered by someone else.

Today I received an email from Sedo, telling me that the domain is sold. I've checked at sedo and the buyer didn't pay yet. Should I contact Sedo now or wait, hoping to the sale to be cancelled because the buyer didn't pay.

Thanks!

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Pray they don't ban you I guess?

•••
I would contact them asap. You can bet that if you don't, the buyer will pay, and that could involve him in bank fees.

•••
Tell the SEDO transfer agent the truth ASAP. Not sure why you have to ask.

•••
I'm not sure. I just bought a domain recently, then the seller told me a couple of days later that he had forgotten it was on Sedo and an inquiry came in. I don't think he had any problem, but I'm not sure how he handled it.

•••
It's not like he has a domain to deliver.

•••
Tell us the name - if it's one I picked up, I'll go halves with you on the sales price. :)

•••
Tell SEDO their Domain Ownership Verification system failed (try to put the blame on them)

•••
Just tell them the truth. This happened to me once in the past. I always remove domains on Sedo when they sell or expire but I missed one and it later sold. I told them what happened and they simply moved on. I wasn't banned nor will you be as long as you tell the truth

•••
This happened to me too. Just let them know and they'll cancel the sale.

•••
Thanks! I've contacted them. I hope everything is OK. I'll keep you updated.

•••
It's a bummer they don't ban non-paying buyers. Maybe you'll be ok then. Good luck with it. :xf.smile:

•••
Sedo is slow to remove domains you no longer own but they seem to get ‘round to it eventually.

•••
•••
Tons of such obsolete listings at Sedo...
At least a few domains which I grab weekly - are always listed on Sedo...
Is it so hard task to keep your account up to date?!

•••
It has become my weekly task to check my new domains @ Sedo - even those that I am not looking to sell through Sedo or not looking to sell at all at this time, and/or not looking to park with Sedo. I always find conflicts. Even though domains finally appear at my sedo acct., some domainers have balls to request them back to their accounts. Sedo promptly serves their re-add requests as well, so sometimes it becomes necessary to re-add domains again and again or to contact my account manager to have this nonsense stopped. What a time waste :(
Moreover, it makes sense to re-check the whole portfolio at least once a year, or better each 6 months. Some folks with sedo accounts like to add domains that somebody else (myself for example) owns for years, which were not recently dropped or not dropped at all, and it applies to those domains that were not in sedo db when were originally acquired. It is not isolated case.

Last edited:
•••
It has become my weekly task to check my new domains @ Sedo - even those that I am not looking to sell through Sedo or not looking to sell at all at this time, and/or not looking to park with Sedo. I always find conflicts. Even though domains finally appear at my sedo acct., some domainers have balls to request them back to their accounts. Sedo promptly serves their re-add requests as well, so sometimes it becomes necessary to re-add domains again and again or to contact my account manager to have this nonsense stopped. What a time waste :(

How can they keep re-adding them? I thought Sedo checks Whois or makes you change nameservers?

I know this is a problem with Afternic.

•••
Indeed, Sedo sends domains to manual approval. WIth an exception of instantly verified domains (where account-specific dns txt record exists).
The problem with manual approval is that they always complete it successfully. I see no other explanation why would sedo approve my legitimate request to add a particular domain, then approve somebody elses request to add the same domain to their account, then approve my request again, etc. The most extreme case I remember is 4 times adding the same domain just to have it removed in a few days

•••
apologize and say you no longer own the domain. The move on and let it be a lesson learned.

•••
You guys are talking me out of returning to Sedo. :)

•••
Tell SEDO their Domain Ownership Verification system failed (try to put the blame on them)

Must say that a bit odd advice. @mrwebmaster made a mistake. And now he should blame someone else for it? IMO not the way to handle the situation (or any situation).

•••
It is not odd. I guess the "blame" causing the problem here. It doesn't have to be shouted or argued at Sedo just mentioned when one feels the need. Good Luck

•••
Hi guys, I contacted SEDO and told them the situation. They cancelled the transaction and made my contact data available to the buyer in case he decides to take legal action against me.

•••
I didn't renew the domain, since it's not very valuable. It was listed at $90 BIN, and now it's registered by someone else.

Today I received an email from Sedo, telling me that the domain is sold. I've checked at sedo and the buyer didn't pay yet. Should I contact Sedo now or wait, hoping to the sale to be cancelled because the buyer didn't pay.

Thanks!

For the very same reason I prefer to set "make an offer" option on the "focus only" domains. Good luck.

•••
Hi guys, I contacted SEDO and told them the situation. They cancelled the transaction and made my contact data available to the buyer in case he decides to take legal action against me.
Legal action. Just because they didn't remove the domain you no longer possess? That's bad oo

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back