Dynadot

Flipping without site building?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

valuedomains1

Established Member
Impact
Hi. First time poster here. Quite simply, I keep reading e-books about domain name flipping, and while I expect them to focus on buying and selling domain names, they inevitably start going into website development (starting a blog on the site, etc.). My question, therefore, is is there any such thing as JUST buying and then reselling a domain name itself, or does EVERY flip have to involve some kind of website development as well?

And, by the way, if it is, in fact, possible to flip a domain without developing a site, I have no doubt that this would come at the expense of profits. That is, that I could make more money from a flip by first developing the site and then selling it. For now, at least, I'm willing to live with that tradeoff. Again, though, that's only if it's even realistic to flip without developing.

Any thoughts on this issue would be appreciated. Thank you!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Depends on the domain name.
If I owned business.com, I would not waste my time or energy or money developing, but throw it right up for sale.
And let someone else develop.

Stick around namepros and read all the forums, thousands of domains are bought and sold (and dropped) without any seller developing them.
Buyers it seems are about 50/50 on reselling the domain bought or developing.

So really, it is up to the individual and also up to the domain name.

•••
Thanks, iowadawg. So it almost seems like the better domain name, the less need to develop, which makes sense. Guess that's even more motivation for me to come up with some good ones! So, yes, I'll keep checking out the forums and will try to get a feel for it.

•••
Hey ValueDomains

I flip domains, and never contemplate any development, it's purely the domain name.

I target only end users, so don't bother with sites like Flippa which are expensive, but also not necessarily a target market.

I contact end users, by email, offering my domain for sale and transfer for a small fee.

If I'm buying one on GoDaddy for £2.00, I'm more than happy to Flip it for a minimum of £20.00+

I wish you luck.

•••
ValueDomains1...I ALWAYS suggest take a w/e and listen to all the vids on DomainSherpa.com. The information is invaluable and will cut your learning curve by a mile...BTW, you will also see some of the best gurus in the business don't always agree. Domains selling is part science and part creative prospecting with a heavy dose of sales skills.

•••
So you make 1 Pound an Hour?

Hey ValueDomains

I flip domains, and never contemplate any development, it's purely the domain name.

I target only end users, so don't bother with sites like Flippa which are expensive, but also not necessarily a target market.

I contact end users, by email, offering my domain for sale and transfer for a small fee.

If I'm buying one on GoDaddy for £2.00, I'm more than happy to Flip it for a minimum of £20.00+

I wish you luck.

It seems like if you're lucky you are making minimum wage based on the above quote. Who exactly do you address your offers too- meaning title?

•••
I think generally speaking if you proper develop a site then naturally it increases the resell value vs no site on the domain. Of course, its not always clear cut, but this is more of a general thing.

•••
:talk:

there are no short cuts, only thru real live "trial and error" experience, will you learn.

•••
It seems like if you're lucky you are making minimum wage based on the above quote. Who exactly do you address your offers too- meaning title?

Minimum wage?

I work full time in Sales, this is something I do in my spare time, and I make a decent supplementary income doing so.

It's not my full time job!

•••
Minimum wage?

I work full time in Sales, this is something I do in my spare time, and I make a decent supplementary income doing so.

It's not my full time job!

Didn't mean it was a full-time job just that nothing you've posted sounds like with all the time you put in, its hardly worth ones time!

•••
Thanks to everyone who responded! Just one follow-up, then. Does anyone know of any good resources (e-book or even a thread in this forum) for pure domain flips -- strategies that don't include site development? Again, that's where most of the material I've been reviewing so far seems to go.

•••
Thanks to everyone who responded! Just one follow-up, then. Does anyone know of any good resources (e-book or even a thread in this forum) for pure domain flips -- strategies that don't include site development? Again, that's where most of the material I've been reviewing so far seems to go.

Yes just go in the Thread Domain Name Discussion
it has many thread that will guide about how to sell a domain.
How to find a potential buyer
How to write a mail to potential buyer
etc
etc.

•••
Didn't mean it was a full-time job just that nothing you've posted sounds like with all the time you put in, its hardly worth ones time!

Takes 30 mins to 1 hour to completely exhaust all the emails I send. For a £1.40 price, to get £20 up to £100 it's well worth it.

•••
No its not Worth Your Time Your FOrgetting Your NonSales

Takes 30 mins to 1 hour to completely exhaust all the emails I send. For a £1.40 price, to get £20 up to £100 it's well worth it.

Wow talk about someone putting a ridiculous spin on something. You can't pull the wool over Americans buddy- you Brits never learn!
You conveniently leave out all the letters you do write and don't get anyone to buy your domains- i.e. while you may sell some, others are going unsold and that time should be figured into the equation.:o:o:o:o

•••
Wow talk about someone putting a ridiculous spin on something. You can't pull the wool over Americans buddy- you Brits never learn!
You conveniently leave out all the letters you do write and don't get anyone to buy your domains- i.e. while you may sell some, others are going unsold and that time should be figured into the equation.:o:o:o:o

:rolleyes: An odd repost.

Of course you have to send lots of emails to get few back - it's the nature of sales, in which I am employed - I haven't had any problems selling any of the domains I've obtained, even some just over the reg fee just to rid them. If you think finding a contact email address and forwarding a draft email takes a huge amount of time whilst I'm at work at my desk, I think I'd suggest some IT lessons.

Bit of an odd comment about American's and Brits? I didn't realise your nation had so much supremacy over the rest of the World? - not sure it's entirely necessary to make sweeping statements like that - to that end does this mean you're going to invade and seize control of Britain's domain portfolio in case prices rise to go up under the premise of saving the World from an evil axis of power? ;)

I have no reason to explain myself further, so won't be responding any more, no need for the antagonism - No offense meant or definitely not taken.

Cheers.

Last edited:
•••
Make sure it is clear that the site is for sale and it is easy to contact you. Either use the brokers' templates, or something of your own.

•••
Back