NameSilo

Flippa

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
This thread was created to cater to a second discussion that evolved in another thread. To keep the original thread on topic, all off-topic posts have been moved here for continued discussion.

Before replying to this thread or any thread on NamePros, read:

Expectations for respect and constructiveness

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Just for clarity...

You did ask our opinion Ali; and many of us have shared our opinion.

None of this is out of 'jealousy' or 'envy'; nor is this a personal attack on you. If you are doing well, then cheers to you my friend.

However, my perspective on this comes from my personal experience with the company you represent.

This whole 'domainer education' initiative is predatory in my opinion, because at the heart of it lies your companies desire to push expensive promotion packages on naive beginners; in my opinion.

From my taste of Flippa, there are lots of promises with minimal warranty. Which went hand-in-hand with your 'domainer education' initiative opening thread statement.

So don't take it personally; on a positive note you seem like a nice person, who is knowledgable, and you have an excellent beard.

So I will exit the conversation on a positive note.

Cheers!

•••
Deleted

Last edited:
•••
Just create the course, release it, and promote it.
Either people will love it, or not.

•••
Just create the course, release it, and promote it.
Either people will love it, or not.

Exactly. Just like a book, or a movie, or a song..... or a domain auction I guess.

•••
I am new here and have some concerns.

I understand that @DomainVP went slightly off topic in the original thread and it was appropriate to relocate his comments. I am glad his comments were not removed since I want to hear his opinion. @DomainVP took the time to share his experience using the Flippa platform and it was an informative post. @DomainVP did not simply say Flippa sucks. He told us exactly why he thought the platform wasn't ideal. All opinions have value.

Secondly, who deleted @Ali Zandi's comments. Was it @Ali Zandi within the 15 minute edit period? @Ali Zandi at a time beyond the edit period? Can VIP / Business accounts edit or delete their posts whenever they please or was the edit done by a moderator? I am asking because I only glanced at the thread when it was live and saw a comment that I wanted to review later..

It is not my intention to attack @Ali Zandi or Flippa. I saw Ali's DomainSherpa interview and found it useful. I have also found the NamePro members to be very generous with their time and knowledge. But, I am not certain I want to continue in the forum if certain members can remove their posts. We all need to write with care and stand behind what we write.

•••
What 15 minute edit period? I recently edited some posts I made in 2009!

And that's how it should be. When a prospective buyer agrees to buy your domain if you delete the post you made boasting about its registration...... you want to be able to do it.

•••
I am a "New Member" and I cannot edit beyond 15 minutes.

•••
Well there's your answer then, you simply haven't made enough posts yet, most people can edit.

•••
•••
Thank you @PugDomainsLtd and @Eric_Lyon. Unfortunately, that means I am left with a negative impression of Flippa. I read a comment that at first glance seemed inappropriate for a company's representative and wanted to make certain later.

Being new to forums I find a large edit window curious. Discussions have less meaning and can appear disjointed.

Last edited:
•••
It is important that on any forum where people are sharing their domain names, that they can edit those domain names out at a later date.

Buyers may state as a condition of sale that they don't want a sale discussed, for example.

•••
That makes sense. Thank you @PugDomainsLtd for explaining one reason behind the large edit window.

•••
@Ali Zandi Has been successful because of several reasons. One of which is the Flippa platform, which he is now a senior broker for. OFCOURSE he wants to promote Flippa, but at the same time, I am sure that he is trying to help the domainer community.

If people dig deep enough into ANYTHING, there are always more questions or things that might not quite add up in their eyes. Sometimes you need to look at the big picture..

I appreciate what your doing @Ali Zandi

P.S I'm not a huge fan of Flippa and probably won't use it much. But, it certainly serves a purpose and a certain type of domain sells very well on there.

Last edited:
•••
With Flippa, a lot may have changed since late 2013; but I'm not willing to dish out $340 for their "Ultra Premium" package.

I spent roughly $500 with them in package and listing fees, not including final sale fees.

I was not happy with the results at all. I would be willing to try them again, with a stronger domain, and reevaluate their program/package from a fair and unbiased perspective; but I won't likely have that opportunity since I believe in the saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."

•••
Well, I launched a $9 listing a little over a day ago to test out the theory that you need to pay for upgrades.... It's already at $2,500.

Note: I will be upgrading but I wanted to see what would happen.

•••
Well, I launched a $9 listing a little over a day ago to test out the theory that you need to pay for upgrades.... It's already at $2,500.

Note: I will be upgrading but I wanted to see what would happen.

Ummmm... Can I ask what the thinking is behind the narrative in your listing? :)

•••
Shane, I imagine that you have a fair amount of watchers from your previous sale that KCGroup was commenting on. Once you have the right buyers a watchers, I imagine promotion is moot.

When you ran the ITmagazine auction, did you purchase promotion or have assisted brokerage w/ Flippa or KCGroup?

•••
Shane, I imagine that you have a fair amount of watchers from your previous sale that KCGroup was commenting on. Once you have the right buyers a watchers, I imagine promotion is moot.

When you ran the ITmagazine auction, did you purchase promotion or have assisted brokerage w/ Flippa or KCGroup?

I do have a decent amount of watchers, that is true.

I ran ITMagazine.com on my own with the $349 upgrade. No help. Just a solid domain with proper timing.

•••
•••
Lol. You read the whole thing, didn't you?

At the risk of offending you, no, not really (sorry!). I kinda just glanced through it quickly to see if I could find anything that even remotely resembled a conventional pitch, but when I couldn't one I thought I'd come here and find out if this was some sort of Jedi sales technique. :)

I have no experience whatsoever selling anything on Flippa auctions. If you don't mind my asking, is there more to it than just putting up the right name? I was tempted to look into Flippa after reading about your last sale, but after this thread came out I started having doubts about the legitimacy of this venue.

•••
@Ali Zandi Has been successful because of several reasons. One of which is the Flippa platform, which he is now a senior broker for. OFCOURSE he wants to promote Flippa, but at the same time, I am sure that he is trying to help the domainer community.

If people dig deep enough into ANYTHING, there are always more questions or things that might not quite add up in your eyes. Sometimes you need to look at the big picture..

I appreciate what your doing @Ali Zandi

P.S I'm not a huge fan of Flippa and probably won't use it much. But, it certainly serves a purpose and a certain type of domain sells very well on there.

He is selling his future course based on his supposed success. Some people are questioning that success and the methods by which it (whatever it is) was achieved.
You have taken it at face value which is your prerogative. This view of yours means you think he is helping the domainer community while others think he is overselling a platform that he has a direct financial connection to. This concerns some people. Other people just take everything at face value.

The poll - if you didn't see it - was asking if you would PAY for a class on how to use the FLIPPA platform produced by (it seems) FLIPPA.
If *that* doesn't sound a single alarm bell in your mind I'd love to live a life equally as blissfully uncynical. As for your dig deep enough into ANYTHING you will find questions or things that don't add up? People aren't digging, they're scraping a surface and the response they are getting is blocking, avoidance, and answers they don't like.

I would bet that 99% of people haven't read the T&Cs of Flippa but that doesn't mean they're very good.

Now all we have from Ali is ..."My comments have been removed to proceed in a positive manner."... and an avatar spread all over the forum featuring possibly Namepros finest beard (as others have pointed out). I don't have anything against him at all but if you post on a public forum you should be able to handle the feedback better, imho.

This all started in the Whiskey.com thread where he suddenly showed up as the worlds foremost expert with 100% sales record and it had shill bidders (not his fault) but by association he got dragged down with the negative discussion on Flippa.

•••
I went for it and bought the primo package for wincoin.com, a domain that ought to sell well on the platform. On top of the primo powerup - I have contacted several dozen potential buyers to point them to the auction. We'll see if the recipe to produce at least two extremely dedicated bidders willing to bid to the moon!

Last edited:
•••
With Flippa, a lot may have changed since late 2013; but I'm not willing to dish out $340 for their "Ultra Premium" package.

I spent roughly $500 with them in package and listing fees, not including final sale fees.

I was not happy with the results at all. I would be willing to try them again, with a stronger domain, and reevaluate their program/package from a fair and unbiased perspective; but I won't likely have that opportunity since I believe in the saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."

We work with sellers all the time to address these kinds of concerns. I'll personally work with you to make sure your next auction converts. If I don't think the domain is strong enough, I'll tell you so and we'll go with something else. PM to discuss.

•••
At the risk of offending you, no, not really (sorry!). I kinda just glanced through it quickly to see if I could find anything that even remotely resembled a conventional pitch, but when I couldn't one I thought I'd come here and find out if this was some sort of Jedi sales technique. :)

I have no experience whatsoever selling anything on Flippa auctions. If you don't mind my asking, is there more to it than just putting up the right name? I was tempted to look into Flippa after reading about your last sale, but after this thread came out I started having doubts about the legitimacy of this venue.

Hope you got my latest PM.

Also be in touch to discuss setting up some risk-free auctions...

•••
He is selling his future course based on his supposed success. Some people are questioning that success and the methods by which it (whatever it is) was achieved.
You have taken it at face value which is your prerogative. This view of yours means you think he is helping the domainer community while others think he is overselling a platform that he has a direct financial connection to. This concerns some people. Other people just take everything at face value.

The poll - if you didn't see it - was asking if you would PAY for a class on how to use the FLIPPA platform produced by (it seems) FLIPPA.
If *that* doesn't sound a single alarm bell in your mind I'd love to live a life equally as blissfully uncynical. As for your dig deep enough into ANYTHING you will find questions or things that don't add up? People aren't digging, they're scraping a surface and the response they are getting is blocking, avoidance, and answers they don't like.

I would bet that 99% of people haven't read the T&Cs of Flippa but that doesn't mean they're very good.

Now all we have from Ali is ..."My comments have been removed to proceed in a positive manner."... and an avatar spread all over the forum featuring possibly Namepros finest beard (as others have pointed out). I don't have anything against him at all but if you post on a public forum you should be able to handle the feedback better, imho.

This all started in the Whiskey.com thread where he suddenly showed up as the worlds foremost expert with 100% sales record and it had shill bidders (not his fault) but by association he got dragged down with the negative discussion on Flippa.

If there is a course, it will be via NamePros - and will always be free. If anything, auctions would be free to course-participants. But we're too far away from even knowing if this will happen or not.

I'm still deciding whether to address the rest of the skepticism that landed here before edits were put in place. Sounds like most are moving past and this is going to be a busy week on my end, so I'd rather not address more than I need to.

I can say, without a shred of hesitation, that Ali's sales numbers are understated. He (and I, and Flippa) are disallowed from reporting various private sales thrown into the mix, but once those are taken into account, he's done what he's said he did - and then some.

The course is meant to be a free resource to help the many hundreds (if not more) that have come forth asking for guidance since his DomainSherpa interview.

Again, all to be determined.

But should anyone have any lingering hesitations or skepticisms about Flippa, you're welcome to send them my way so I can work to address them. It seems that having a private conversation does the trick, with the handful I've spoken with, and others who once scoffed at our platform have since warmed up to building a presence in our community.

My door's always open, so to speak...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back