IT.COM

Flippa vs. GoDaddy experiment

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I used the domain j e w c (the king version) for the experiment.

I listed the domain for sale at flippa - $9 listing fee. The auction had 221 views, 4 bidders, 6 bids and it reached $105. Didnt meet the reserve of course.

Immediately after that I listed the domain for sale at godaddy - $20 listing fee (homepage+reserve price). The auction had 500+ views, 10 bidders, 29 bids and it sold for $405.

The same domain - almost 4 times higher.

My Conclusion:

You don't have a chance at flippa if you don't buy all their updates.

Godaddy is much better place to sell your domains than flippa. You can see this clearly. 4 times better in my case.

Cheers

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Buyers at Flippa seems like interested in how much money they can generate from existing web site. They do not care about the value of domain name.

•••
More eyeballs at GoDaddy as they are one of the few in the domain industry that do significant advertising. Their business model is also geared more at end users that have money but not so much computer knowledge=upsell kings. So their advertising slowly continues building an end user pool of customers.

•••
Awesome experiment @sofiapartner, and the perfect domain to get a real idea on the differences. I'd have to agree with you, I don't think you have a very big chance on Flippa without purchasing all the upgrades. For the $20, you're much better off going with GoDaddy and I think you've proven it! :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back