IT.COM

news Flippa Seller Claims Pokemon Go typo gets thousands of visitors.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

deez007

The More I Learn The Less I "Know"Top Member
Impact
Seller wants to quickly flip Pokemon Go typo.

A seller has listed PokeymonGo.com — a typo of the popular game Pokemon Go — on Flippa, claiming it “was receiving thousands of visitors to his website” just minutes after it went live.

He’s trying to quickly flip the domain and site on Flippa. With close to 100 bids, the auction is now over 2,000.

According to the Google Analytics screenshot posted on the auction page, the domain’s traffic isn’t coming from type-ins. This makes it really confusing how the site received thousands of visitors within just a few minutes of putting the site live.

Here’s the Google Analytics screenshot provided with the listing:

pokeymongo.jpg

If you type Pokeymon Go in Google, it will correct it to Pokemon Go. However, I was able to get this site to show up first if I searched directly for PokeymonGo.com. Although a lot of people search for entire domain names on Google, I’d expect to see more direct traffic if this is the search term driving visitors to the site.

As Elliot Silver pointed out, Pokemon is a trademark of Nintendo. Although I don’t expect them to go after the thousands of newly registered domains with Pokemon in them, it’s a risk of a site becomes popular.

Source: https://domainnamewire.com/2016/07/...pokemon-go-typo-receiving-thousands-visitors/

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
aren't they supposed to ban you from flippa if you sell tm domains.. especially when seller makes it so clear and obvious and aware its a tm.

•••
aren't they supposed to ban you from flippa if you sell tm domains.. especially when seller makes it so clear and obvious and aware its a tm.
Flippa won't ban them until after they've received their commission from the sale...

•••
Flippa won't ban them until after they've received their commission from the sale...

weird. I thought flippa was a noble honest place full of beauty and integrity.
like an online eden or something.

•••
I highly doubt this domain gets that much of traffic. The domain got registered on July 7th. As per the pdf uploaded, the site is getting traffic organic. However, on July 16th, the site didn't see any traffic as per this pdf. https://flippa.com/auctions/6636263/attachments/1282556.pdf

I have my own reasons to believe this traffic is not genuine, because there are bots which can manipulate Google Analytics data, simple example Jingling.

Also, when you start receiving this large volume of traffic, you quickly enough get into the SimilarWeb.com DB. In this case, when you enter this typo URL in similarweb.com, it shows error page.

Moreover, anyone can do a press release. :)

•••
I actually think the seller might have shot himself in the foot here, with all the additional coverage his listing is getting he might just end up with the developers taking notice and smacking him with a TM claim. It also exposes the potential buyer a lot as well.... He should have probably just kept this site and let it be without drawing all this attention to it.

•••
I actually think the seller might have shot himself in the foot here, with all the additional coverage his listing is going to get might just end up with the developers taking notice and smacking him with a UDRP claim. It also exposes the potential buyer a lot as well.... He should have probably just kept this site and let it be without drawing all this attention to it.

sounds like a lot of problems for a lot of people and a lot of guys without feet. easier for flippa to just keep their house in order and remove it.

•••
About Trademarks ...

We have "POKEMON" registered as a trademark ... But what about "POKE" or "POKÉ" or "POKESTOP" or ... all other terms used with this game ?

What if someone decided to make a directory of all POKESTOPS on (For i.e.) POKESTOPS.com ... Would it be a trademark violation ?

•••
it does not matter if it gets traffic or not. It's a TM violation and should not be sold.

•••
About Trademarks ...

We have "POKEMON" registered as a trademark ... But what about "POKE" or "POKÉ" or "POKESTOP" or ... all other terms used with this game ?

What if someone decided to make a directory of all POKESTOPS on (For i.e.) POKESTOPS.com ... Would it be a trademark violation ?

The thing is, with the sellers URL he could have argued that it reads Pokey Mongo and that he will be creating a brand around that name. He didn't do that and pretty much shows intent to profit from the Pokemon TM... problem is with the content he has on the site, his content and images are all TM violations.

•••
He does not receive most of his traffic from typo direct navigation.

According to the comments he is using various methods:
"running some Adwords, Facebook, Instagram (with paid automation $.066 per day), Twitter, Flippa, Snapchat, and a press release is coming out tomorrow."

•••
He does not receive most of his traffic from typo direct navigation.

According to the comments he is using various methods:
"running some Adwords, Facebook, Instagram (with paid automation $.066 per day), Twitter, Flippa, Snapchat, and a press release is coming out tomorrow."

I checked out his listing again, seems you are right he does get traffic from other sources as well.

I'm a bit skeptical about his screen shot claiming he gets 90% of traffic from search traffic... I suspect it could easily be a case of him using one of the various tools and services that send you search engine traffic.

•••
Just doesn't seem like a risk worth taking, given you have to do so much work to maintain the traffic + the TM risk.

•••
Sketchy traffic imho. But the typo is not as worrisome. Can't find any examples of Pokeymon being part of a WIPO suit.

•••
Just doesn't seem like a risk worth taking, given you have to do so much work to maintain the traffic + the TM risk.

Yeah, I think he is basically capitalizing on the current hype around the game and using the hype to try justify is surge in traffic.

Def not worth the risk....

•••
•••
•••
•••
just visited the auction and it says "Auction temporarily suspended"

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back