IT.COM

opinion First taste of this new 'game'

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Dominic Belley

Four Letter AcronymsTop Member
Impact
Some of you know me already for being a 4L reseller. But at the end of June this year I started investing in brandable and 2-words domains.

The 4L flip routine is easy. You always get offers around the current market value so there is not much surprise there or tough decisions to make.

Today I experienced my first serious offer for one of the domain I recently acquired. I am not willing to disclose the domain name, it is irrelevant.

On Afternic I initially got a $1500 offer. Rejected it. Got a $3000 counter-offer and rejected it also. Then the buyer contacted me directly by email. Probably from the WHOIS details. He wanted to stay below $5k so we did not come to an agreement. I am looking to get above $10K.

No sales, but it was 'fun' .. kinda ! It definitely generated a small adrenaline boost.

Of course these are still small amounts, we see sales in high 4-digits or even 5-digits here all the time.

But it was a first for me to reject that kind of money instead of taking the profit which would have been my biggest ROI so far. It really makes you reconsider your target price for a domain.

--

Do you remember your first " high offer rejection " which ended up not being a sale?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Negotiations can be a lot of fun! Especially if you are on the selling side.

•••
I'm mostly getting $10-20 offers on quality domains on my landing pages - haven't had any direct big offers (yet).

•••
•••
But they will come!
Never assume that.
Some of you know me already for being a 4L reseller. But at the end of June this year I started investing in brandable and 2-words domains.

The 4L flip routine is easy. You always get offers around the current market value so there is not much surprise there or tough decisions to make.

Today I experienced my first serious offer for one of the domain I recently acquired. I am not willing to disclose the domain name, it is irrelevant.

On Afternic I initially got a $1500 offer. Rejected it. Got a $3000 counter-offer and rejected it also. Then the buyer contacted me directly by email. Probably from the WHOIS details. He wanted to stay below $5k so we did not come to an agreement. I am looking to get above $10K.

No sales, but it was 'fun' .. kinda ! It definitely generated a small adrenaline boost.

Of course these are still small amounts, we see sales in high 4-digits or even 5-digits here all the time.

But it was a first for me to reject that kind of money instead of taking the profit which would have been my biggest ROI so far. It really makes you reconsider your target price for a domain.

--

Do you remember your first " high offer rejection " which ended up not being a sale?

Personally, I would have taken the offer. I think domainers focus far too much on their asking price vs a good ROI. If you purchased a domain for $1000 and was offered $5000. That's an great ROI. Don't ever assume future offers are coming especially when most domain portfolios only have a 1% sale thru rate.

•••
Personally, I would have taken the offer. I think domainers focus far too much on their asking price vs a good ROI. If you purchased a domain for $1000 and was offered $5000. That's an great ROI. Don't ever assume future offers are coming especially when most domain portfolios only have a 1% sale thru rate.

You are probably right but when I decided to invest in brandable/keyword domains, it was to give myself the chance for bigger profits then flipping 4L. This is why I am going to way for as long as it will take.

On some other domains I own I would have accepted, but this one I like better.

•••
Don't ever assume future offers are coming especially when most domain portfolios only have a 1% sale thru rate.

and what's wrong with a 1% sell thru rate?

imo...

•••
You were flipping 4Ls for a $20 profit but reject a good offer THREE TIMES that could be your biggest flip to date? That makes no sense.

As a side note: we always think our best domain is the one with the current offer.

•••
You were flipping 4Ls for a $20 profit but reject a good offer THREE TIMES that could be your biggest flip to date? That makes no sense.

As a side note: we always think our best domain is the one with the current offer.

Flipping 4L is a business model based on volume.
For other types of domains I have a different strategy. So it does make sense to me.

BTW if I were flipping 4L for only $20 profit I would have stopped a long time ago.

•••
This may be an old saying, But looking back through life, I have found it to be true.

Go with your first gut feeling, It is almost always right.

I remember the $20 quick flip profit of 4L.coms, It wasn't a bad gig ;) You could do it all day long.

•••
I rejected $7k offer on one of my domain and still have that domain.

•••
I rejected $7k offer on one of my domain and still have that domain.
Have you had another offer since then? I would never reject a $5000 offer on a domain name that has not yielded boiling point inquiries.

•••
Have you had another offer since then? I would never reject a $5000 offer on a domain name that has not yielded boiling point inquiries.

NO:banghead:

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back