Dynadot

Firefox to Disable IDN Support as Phishing Defense

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

armstrong

Man from ManilaVIP Member
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
another nail in the coffin

•••
ZuraX said:
IDN domains are worthless if you ask me. I try to stay away from them.

Oh, really? Depends on the name as always in this industry. I've got some IDNs registered as Ovt. with ext. and several get thousands of visits/month and each brings me low-mid xx$ revenue/month (pays its reg. fee 2xeach month).
Are they really worthless. I dont think so. Does not matter if IDN or not. If brings revenue and gets traffic - definitely it is not worthless.

I am sure even firefox disable IDN as default, people who use unicode characters in their languages quickly educate how to enable this option :)
Cheers, hookah

•••
But how much of that traffic is wha the parking sites are looking for?

•••
ZuraX said:
But how much of that traffic is wha the parking sites are looking for?

:) Man, there are always weaks and strenghts. I ensure you that for people using ł, ś, ć, etc. in their native languages everyday, everytime, in speaking and writing - the words without country characters look strange alittle. And although we used to type surrogates of these signs (s instead of ś, n instead of ń, etc.), there will be always a tendency to type country characters in domain names.
And I ensure you, whatever the parking page looks like (or if it is PPC program like Sedo or Adsense) there always be a traffic for such domains and click rate of some kind (if 13% or 23% - does not matter). I know it because I experienced it. Of course if IDN name is nonsense, words are not used often enough or just single letters - the traffic does not exist at all.
How much the traffic is? For my meaningful 3 IDNs (having 80 Ovt. with ext. and higher), the traffic is between 2-4 thousands of visits/months each. Enough to get good revenue.
And I dont wonder most english people do not feel the difference between words: móżdżek and mozdzek for example. They dont have country specific letters so their language awareness is different.
And furthermore they usually dont know how to search for these meaningful IDN domains. Just install some keyboard characters other then english, go and find words in Turkish, Chinese, Greek, Russian and look what are the Overture results :)

Last edited:
•••
When I saw paypal variations being registered, I knew it was only a matter of time before 60 minutes or some other junk news program did a headline story about this and scared 1/4 of the population.
I think it is Mozilla moving backwards (They already have security levels, maybe have the higher leves disable IDN's), but understandably so.
-Allan

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back