Dynadot

question Finding 'word' or 'phrase' .com?

NameSilo
Watch

MrMDMF

Established Member
Impact
Every time I find a word or phrase the price is always xxxx even if it isn't taken. Is this the standard to encourage you to invest big money & flip it? Is it technically owned by the registrar and they're adjusting the price accordingly? Or, by some miracle is it possible to find a .com like this (maybe an obscure word, slang or phrase) for xx and turn a huge profile?

recent example: halfpast.com - £5,683.54 on GD
(you're welcome if anyone invests in that :xf.laugh:)

Sorry if this is a noob question but I have to know if it's worth the time investment to look for these opportunities.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
how can i find new words and best combination off two words to grab and register it.

•••
how can i find new words and best combination off two words to grab and register it.

Wish I knew :xf.laugh:
I tend to search for 'business-like' terms & try to mash them together in a way that makes sense

Nouns, verbs, adjectives, etc.
Hope this helps!

-M

•••
Use completed sales thread in this forum and sites that shows domain sales like namebio.

From there try to note word's or phrases with repeated occurrence and try to acquire or register similar domain.

It requires a lot of reading and noting your observations. Then patience for the right buyer to come.

•••
•••
@Omar Ashraf just gave you the only answer you need to head in the right direction. Try not to focus on the automated price (it's hard not to, but important you dont), thats not the big thing to look at. Exact Searches & PPC is what you need to know - forget the junk info. Make sure the name doesnt carry any baggage & make sure there are businesses out there you can sell it to, not just something that looks expensive.

Here is another reason not to look at the "appraised value" notice how often the keywords are not identified correctly - if you fix it the estimate may change - so even the estimate you see can be changed by you the user.

Last edited:
•••
First of all, welcome to NPs @MrMDMF! Re

recent example: halfpast.com - £5,683.54 on GD
(you're welcome if anyone invests in that :xf.laugh:)

Unless I misunderstand your query, it is not that the registry is asking that, but almost certainly that an individual domainer owns the name and has it listed probably on the Afternic network at that price, and those listings show up on GoDaddy when you search for the name. People can (and do!) ask any price they want for a domain name. It might be realistic or it might not.

To find less expensive domain names (that may still have quality) your best options are:
  1. Search for expired lists for drops that are appealing
  2. Search auctions to find a gem no one is bidding on
  3. Find a name you like here on NPs either fixed price or auction. Some names go very cheap.
  4. Be creative and find a name that no one has thought of (hard but not impossible)
  5. Think outside the .com box to a country code or ngTLD. For example music ai sold for over $100,000 in January. The Whois seems to show that it had been registered (probably after an expiry) just in 2017.
Keep in mind that the odds of any name selling any year are low. So use NameBio and be alert to current trends and use every other knowledge advantage possible. And best luck of you!

Bob

•••
Hey everyone, just to clarify. I look on websites such as expireddomains.net to find domains.
My question was how likely is it to find a premium name that's expired (note, not the same as a drop-catch)

Also, I am aware that appraisals usually don't match the true value of a domain, the domain I mentioned was sold by an individual on GoDaddy, not by GoDaddy.

Hope this clears things up.
-M

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back