Dynadot

Financial organizations granted rights to .bank domain

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

mad409

Always thinking outside the box!Top Member
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
When this rolls out in 2015 and banks start developing site's it should help bring new light that other extensions do exist besides .com, .net and .org.

http://www.atmmarketplace.com/news/financial-organizations-granted-rights-to-bank-domain/

Not quite. Banks aren't the type of business where new ones are just popping up left and right. They're usually established brands that have been around awhile aka, they already have their dot com. It's the type of business where they tend to have more original names, any new ones that might pop up, meaning the .com would probably be available. Also with phishing and such, people would be leery clicking on some new extension they've never seen before. Something.bank might look like some phishing site to them.

Last edited:
•••
Plus banks have been consolidating like crazy due to regulatory costs from things like dodd-frank and the costs to have a competitive and safe online banking component. There are fewer and fewer of them to buy up names.

•••
Also with phishing and such, people would be leery clicking on some new extension they've never seen before. Something.bank might look like some phishing site to them.

It's seems to be more secure per the article, only banks can get .bank.

"The .bank domain will maintain enhanced levels of security and adhere to 31 strict standards developed by ABA and FSR. In addition to strict registration requirements, the domain will help prevent users from being redirected to fake bank websites, help make it more difficult for criminals to create spoofed e-mails from a .bank website, and provide a higher level of encryption, among other benefits."

I personally think a lot of banks will get .bank and drop their .com but that's just my opinion.

•••
I personally think a lot of banks will get .bank and drop their .com but that's just my opinion.

Not 1 will. The last thing you want to do is confuse your customers. Wait till it releases and we can revisit this thread, if you happen to be still posting in this forum in the future. It'll be another extension you can throw into the dead pool. There is no reason for them to switch, none. What they have works already just fine.

Last edited:
•••
Wait till it releases and we can revisit this thread, if you happen to be still posting in this forum in the future.

Might be unless the posse take's me out!

You should consider who's backing this at least.

"The fTLD Registry — founded and operated by the American Bankers Association, Financial Services Roundtable and other industry organizations."

If in fact it's higher security the States Dept. Of Financial Institutions might require them to change, who knows..

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back