IT.COM

FIFA.media

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Is the registration of FIFA.MEDIA a direct trademark infringement?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Yes -- the registration of this domain is illegal and considered trademark infringement.

• No -- the registration of this domain is legal and not considered trademark infringement.

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Results are only viewable after voting.

shayan

Established Member
Impact
I registered fifa.media, and now I'm wondering if this is a direct trademark infringement? Specifically, the question in discussed here is, is this registration a direct cause of trademark infringement?
It is not being advertised/marketed with anything to do with soccer/football. This is just a pure registration.

Please think carefully before just making a quick reply and saying that this is indeed an infringement. Explain if it is. The reason why I proceeded, was because FIFA is an abbreviation, and could also be defined to other things, other than the football organization that people recognize it with.

Some references on their trademark profile:
  • creation, and maintenance of web sites;
  • introduction of websites, namely, creating and maintaining web sites for others on the internet or on wireless electronic communication;
  • hosting of websites on the Internet or on wireless electronic communication device;

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Fifamedia.com is free. I'd check if the previous owner of said domain had any issues before looking any further.

For the ngtlds, the extension counts as part of the name in terms of infringing. So, yours is not really an abbreviation, it spells as FIFA Media and you should treat it as such

•••
•••
What about apple.media ?

I would stay far away because domain extensions do have a meaning.
.com means company & .org means organization, you know what .media means.

Now in retrospect, do you think it infringes?

My opinion is let is just sit without resolving and let it expire. If it is picked up its someone else's problem.

•••
I registered fifa.media

Why?

FIFA is an abbreviation, and could also be defined to other things

So is any other string of four letters. But you picked this one, right? Or did you register thousands of other four letter .media names?

Sure, it "could" be defined to other things. Which one of those other things are you using it for?

Yesterday, I went over to my neighbor's house and shot him dead. He "could" have been planning to kill me, so it was a justifiable self defense.

Last edited:
•••
Thanks for the info guys, I refunded the domain :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back