IT.COM

question Facebook messaged me

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Sheries11

Established Member
Impact
Today, I received a message from Facebook legal department, regarding a domain name that I own which is like : ***ofacebook.com

They said : domain name may be infringing on a trademark for Facebook, and i should respond early for importance.
--

I believe that the domain name is *** of acebook ( acebook is not a trademark ) i replied with this part included, and I asked if they would want to buy it.

Any thoughts?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
If I was you I'd be deleting that domain ASAP.

•••
•••
The reason Facebook is coming for you on the legal side is due to the fact your domain name is a typo that (if correctly spelled) would direct traffic to Facebook.com. If you don't want to eat tuna in jail, I suggest you delete the domain and take this "L" as a learning lesson

•••
I would say delete the domain but you might read this as "Del Etethedo Main", which wouldn't mean much

•••
I believe that the domain name is *** of acebook ( acebook is not a trademark ) i replied with this part included, and I asked if they would want to buy it.

You're trolling, right? Nice one.

•••
I bought the domain for it's SEO value .. and I'm redirecting it to another website .. no any purpose to use their trademark. it wouldn't even show in the address bar as it is redirected.

The guys are nice, they only asked to contact them before they do any actions .. you people here seem too scared. I DON'T HAVE ANY INTENTION TO USE THEIR TRADEMARK.

•••
What does acebook mean?

Acebook is a domain still that belongs to them, if you visited the address it would redirect you to Facebook, however ( Acebook.com ) doesn't have a Trademark.

•••
BestLawyerInAmerica-33.jpg

My advice would be to get the best team of lawyers money can buy, remortgage the house and throw everything you can at them.

On the off chance that you win you will still own a worthless domain.

•••
•••
Would they prefer to pay 5000 : 10000 of dollars suing me? while I'm fine selling it for a $1000 ?

•••
Would they prefer to pay 5000 : 10000 of dollars suing me? while I'm fine selling it for a $1000 ?

Paying you sets a precedence and every john, dick and henry will register similar domains if they pay you out.

Trust me, they will not pay you, they will sue you.

You are fighting a losing battle.

Keep your house, hug your kids, drop the domain, and move on with your life.

Last edited:
•••
Acebook is a domain still that belongs to them, if you visited the address it would redirect you to Facebook, however ( Acebook.com ) doesn't have a Trademark.
Unfortunately that's not the way the world works. They use the similarity to determine whether it is infringing on their actual marks.

Last edited:
•••
Guys, any experience .. cases happened you would like to share?
it would make more sense than just assuming.
Thank you

•••
Go ahead and do what you like to do if you are not listening to us.

•••
•••
Go ahead. Battle it out with facëbook and their lawyers. We can use this example in the future for the new domainers

•••
•••
guys who talk like little kids, please don't comment on my post .. the sarcasm way of commenting is like .. are you a child?

•••
•••
•••
The message they sent is :

Your domain name or the content on your website may be infringing on a trademark and/or violating local laws or regulations. It is important that you respond at the earliest

--

I replied to them wondering what do they want, and I'm waiting for their reply .. that is it.

•••
this domain is trademark to facebook You must delete it immediately
And according to property laws, Facebook can fine you

•••

I think what typically happens is they'll file a UDRP by simply copying the prior complaint they filed against a cybersquatter/typosquatter, and replace the domain in the old complaint with your domain, and pay the $600-$1,000 ADRForum fee or WIPO fee. There is no incentive to pay the registrant.

They can also file the same UDRP for 20 domains at the same time, if registered by the same registrant.

•••
Back