IT.COM

question Favorite order ?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

HzeTmy

Established Member
Impact
What would be your favorite order for an brandable international common project.

1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6.
.com .co .net. org. info .xyz ?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
com, org, info.

Net: if and only if the project has anything to do with IT, networks, hosting

Co: if and only if the project would have no issues or whatever for its domain to be under legal umbrella of the South American nation of Colombia

Xyz: due to reputation of this extention, I would not touch it

•••
com, org, info.

Net: if and only if the project has anything to do with IT, networks, hosting

Co: if and only if the project would have no issues or whatever for its domain to be under legal umbrella of the South American nation of Colombia

Xyz: due to reputation of this extention, I would not touch it
Reputation ? what do u mean

•••
Reputation ? what do u mean
many sysadmins do block any and all emails from xyz due to spam. So, you'll open a website www dot something dot xyz and find that some of your outgoing emails are not delivered. as a matter of fact. also there are other issues (historical). a deep discussion would be offtopic here though. I am sure that xyz fans will join this thread soon and explain that xyz is the one and only tld to consider :)

Last edited:
•••
many sysadmins do block any and all emails from xyz due to spam. So, you'll open a website www dot something dot xyz and find that some of your outgoing emails are not delivered. as a matter of fact. also there are other issues (historical). a deep discussion would be offtopic here though. I am sure that xyz fans will join this thread soon and explain that xyz is the one and only tld to consider :)
Ok thx for ur opinion

•••
For me, the right order is .com, then .org.

For the rest, I won't touch them if I can help it. But if I must, then .net>co>.xyz>.info.

Chances are I would pick great names in .io and .tv over the second group I listed

•••
•••
•••
Purely in terms of recognition:
com, org, net

The .co ccTLD is too easy to confuse with .com so it will leak traffic to the equivalent .com domain name.
The .INFO gTLD has a lot of historical baggage due to heavy discounting for the first year. The registrars now seem to have higher renewal fees for this gTLD. Many of these registrations are brand protection registrations. In terms of web usage, the gTLD is not as developed as .COM or some ccTLDs.

The .XYZ gTLD is a curious one because it has developed a domainer market outside of .COM. However, with a global project, recognition counts and the top three legacy gTLDs have more global recognition due to their age.

If you want to build a global project, don't think like a domainer. Think like an end user. They may expect that such a site will be on a .com rather than some other gTLD or repurposed ccTLD (.co, .tv, io, .me etc). If you choose another gTLD or a repurposed ccTLD then get the equivalent .com and redirect it to the site.

Regards...jmcc

•••
atm:
com
xyz
org

- anything else depending on name & use-case

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back