Dotster

votes
    0.0%
  • 15th (tie)

NetSol - Network Solutions

votes
    0.0%

Impact
Another thread asking about this, I figure let's finally poll it. I remember looking for something like this years ago here and was surprised one didn't exist, since it's a topic that gets brought up from time to time. I picked 20 (19)* domain registrars, all the ones mentioned in the recent thread plus a few others. If your favorite isn't listed, post it in the thread and I'll see if I can add it to the poll. You can pick up to 3 of your favorite, just 1 if you want. I still think Namepros should have a Best Of The Year series :)

*there is currently a 20 choice limit with polls, but NP can add more if needed. In case I missed some obvious ones.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I went for Godaddy as they got a stolen name back for me and also added further security, others would be Dynadot and Namepal,

•••
I voted for Godaddy but if I could place a vote on my second favorite registrar it would be namebright.

I personally like most of Godaddy's UI (not sure why so many people hate it). And I LOVE the quality of the Godaddy support team and the fact that most buyers already know/use Godaddy which makes the process of selling a domain so much easier. What I don't like however is Godaddy's new interface to renew expired domains. I have around 500 domains there currently and if I want to renew any and go to the standard renewal screen I see something like this:

godaddy.jpg

Basically, all my expiring domains are mixed with my premium listings (which are not actual domains, just domain listings) and no way to filter them to only see my actual expired (or soon to expire) domains. So if I want to find a domain that expires in for example 2 months from now I sometimes have to click on "Show more domains" for 15 times or so since the premium listings clog the renewal page and Godaddy doesn't offer a way anymore to show more than 15 domains per page.

The alternative is to go inside my Godaddy domain manager, manually select the domains I want to renew and then click on "Renew" and making sure I don't choose "Express checkout" (as this will charge me full price, including taxes, without even bothering to ask me for my VAT-ID). So I do have a workaround, it's just annoying though. But besides that I really like Godaddy.

Regarding to Namebright: I love their UI and the simplicity of it. Transferring/pushing a domain is extremely easy and fast at Namebright. The pricing of course is awesome as well. I don't know about their support but that's only because I never had to use it. Everything always worked perfect for me at namebright. If as many end users would know Namebright compared to end users knowing Godaddy I would probably put all my names at Namebright.

Last edited:
•••
I liked Godaddy, Uniregistry and Namesilo...though there are another 2/3 which I like but you can only select Top 3.

•••
Namecheap at 2nd place, I have a hard time believing that. Sure they ain't the worst of the bunch but 2nd? Really?

•••
LOL....what? I would never use a company named "Internet BS" :-D

•••
•••
GoDaddy all the way :)

2. NameSilo
3. Dynadot
4. NameCheap
5. NameBright

•••
Thank you all for the voting and the feedback. If anyone has concerns, I am always around to help. I am always glad to see @JB Lions happy because it is a scary thing to have the Godfather upset with you. Seriously though thanks for the poll and the feedback it provided. It's always good for people to see what each company can do for them to help them grow their business, and what things we can improve on. It's a good thing there are so many choices, the competition brings better products for everyone.

•••
•••
I voted for Godaddy but if I could place a vote on my second favorite registrar it would be namebright.

I personally like most of Godaddy's UI (not sure why so many people hate it). And I LOVE the quality of the Godaddy support team and the fact that most buyers already know/use Godaddy which makes the process of selling a domain so much easier. What I don't like however is Godaddy's new interface to renew expired domains. I have around 500 domains there currently and if I want to renew any and go to the standard renewal screen I see something like this:

godaddy.jpg

Basically, all my expiring domains are mixed with my premium listings (which are not actual domains, just domain listings) and no way to filter them to only see my actual expired (or soon to expire) domains. So if I want to find a domain that expires in for example 2 months from now I sometimes have to click on "Show more domains" for 15 times or so since the premium listings clog the renewal page and Godaddy doesn't offer a way anymore to show more than 15 domains per page.

The alternative is to go inside my Godaddy domain manager, manually select the domains I want to renew and then click on "Renew" and making sure I don't choose "Express checkout" (as this will charge me full price, including taxes, without even bothering to ask me for my VAT-ID). So I do have a workaround, it's just annoying though. But besides that I really like Godaddy.

Regarding to Namebright: I love their UI and the simplicity of it. Transferring/pushing a domain is extremely easy and fast at Namebright. The pricing of course is awesome as well. I don't know about their support but that's only because I never had to use it. Everything always worked perfect for me at namebright. If as many end users would know Namebright compared to end users knowing Godaddy I would probably put all my names at Namebright.

Agreed with everything 100%. My votes also went to GD and NB!

•••
Btw, I had 11 names at Dynadot, all were won at auction, haven't purchased anything from there, yet.

Due to so many votes at Dynadot here, yesterday I purchased a domain there and it took hours for the domain to show in my account.. in the notifications, the status was 'processing' for hours, I had to contact support to make sure everything is okay! Interface is not the only thing, User experience matters more. Even on those fishy looking registrars like alpnames and domainmonster, the registration process takes a few seconds only.

•••
Where's Google? :P Just kidding, don't need to add them.

Btw, I had 11 names at Dynadot, all were won at auction, haven't purchased anything from there, yet.

Due to so many votes at Dynadot here, yesterday I purchased a domain there and it took hours for the domain to show in my account.. in the notifications, the status was 'processing' for hours, I had to contact support to make sure everything is okay! Interface is not the only thing, User experience matters more. Even on those fishy looking registrars like alpnames and domainmonster, the registration process takes a few seconds only.

That's very odd; I've never had an issue with their queue. I've had similar problems with other registrars, though, so I think it may have something to do with the registries. I registered a domain through Dynadot the other day and it showed up immediately.

Namecheap and Dynadot are my favorites. Namecheap sometimes has better prices, especially on more obscure TLDs, but it doesn't have DNSSEC. That's a deal-breaker for me when it comes to domains I really care about. They say you can contact support to enable DNSSEC for two or three TLDs (.com and one or two others), but that's a horrible user experience. Apparently the feature has been in development for years now. To me, that says they don't care about security or privacy. So only my junky domains stay with Namecheap; anything decent gets transferred to Dynadot.

•••
I vote for what ever registrar has the current discount or coupon codes for .com :D
Execpt 1and1 they suck

•••
Where's Google? :P Just kidding, don't need to add them.

That's very odd; I've never had an issue with their queue. I've had similar problems with other registrars, though, so I think it may have something to do with the registries. I registered a domain through Dynadot the other day and it showed up immediately.

Namecheap and Dynadot are my favorites. Namecheap sometimes has better prices, especially on more obscure TLDs, but it doesn't have DNSSEC. That's a deal-breaker for me when it comes to domains I really care about. They say you can contact support to enable DNSSEC for two or three TLDs (.com and one or two others), but that's a horrible user experience. Apparently the feature has been in development for years now. To me, that says they don't care about security or privacy. So only my junky domains stay with Namecheap; anything decent gets transferred to Dynadot.

Maybe it delayed because it was my first reg there. I didn't thought about that.

•••
@JB Lions happy because it is a scary thing to have the Godfather upset with you.
@JB Lions the godfather!
Oh, no, not another guy thst I have to tread lightly with..

Register, most of my domains from GoDaddy, have accounts with Dynadot and Domain, because of buying them here..Only thing that I can say somewhat negative is the "shopping cart" at Dynadot when you push domains..took awhile to get used too..

•••

I've never had that experience at Dynadot. Usually the payment processing is done in less than a minute. Although bulk transfers can take longer to setup. I'm assuming it was a .com domain and not some esoteric ccTLD. The delay could as well be with the registry or the payment processor. Maybe you could give then one more try, at a different time of day, for a .com, to see if this delay is inherent for you payment processor. I only use CC or PayPal at Dynadot.

•••

Who cares about DNSSEC? Few registrars offer it and the adoption rate is laughable low. Unless you are talking about specific ccTLDs.

I don't like the NC interface. Dynadot could improve UI but there are some aspects I like about it.

•••
Maybe it delayed because it was my first reg there.
It's a security measure that I've seen happen before. It shouldn't happen again after the first time.

•••
How can Domain.com get 16 votes and Dotster 0, which both use the same awful Control Panel.

•••
I can't believe there were 4 people who actually voted for Moniker.

•••
I can't believe there were 4 people who actually voted for Moniker.

That's the same 4 customers that have been hanging on for years. Hoping thing will improve :)

•••
Dynadot always with nice price and the customer service is quite efficient!

•••
Time for some statistics!

Of the 766 votes cast, 28 were from users who joined NamePros after the poll was created.
Of the 506 participating users, 21 joined NamePros after the poll was created.
Remember, a single user can vote for multiple registrars.

Looking at votes cast by users who registered after the poll was created, here's the breakdown:
VotesRegistrar
8Namecheap
8Godaddy
6Name.com
2Dynadot
1InternetBS
1Domain.com
1NameSilo
1Uniregistry

If we further exclude users who voted for more than one registrar:
VotesRegistrar
6Name.com
5Godaddy
5Namecheap
1Uniregistry

This post was generated at 2016-04-07 05:04:44 UTC.

Last edited:
•••
Joe, i think one of the reasons Godaddy has the largest piece of the pie is reps like you that are always here and are open to suggestions to improve the marketplace. I can't think of anyone else that's as dedicated to solving problems as you are! Thanks! You rock!

Last edited:
•••
Joe, i think one of the reasons Godaddy has the largest piece of the pie is reps like you that are always here and are open to suggestions to improve the marketplace. I can't think of anyone else that's as dedicated to solving problems as you are! Thanks! You rock!
I've often heard here that GoDaddy's customer support is the reason it's so popular. Personally, I haven't had much experience with them, but my few interactions have been positive. UI/UX is another reason they seem to be popular.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back