IT.COM

Famous names

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I'm assuming we can't register a famous name if that name is not one we have, right? For example, it's against the rules or laws to register www.MichaelJordan.com/net/etc., right? Please confirm. Thanks.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
mellowmasher said:
I own a few .infos D-:
Me too.

Pantigbox said:
I'm assuming we can't register a famous name if that name is not one we have, right? For example, it's against the rules or laws to register www.MichaelJordan.com/net/etc., right? Please confirm. Thanks.
If you're making money from PPC ads or it is the .com of the name, it is much more likely that you'll be forced to hand over the domain.
It is often possible to talk to the celeb and get them to work with you. They provide you with pics or info and you provide them a decent fan site.

It's impossible to say whether or not you'll be forced to hand over the domain.
Like I said most celebs will go for the .com first, extensions like .info are much safer IMHO, also most celebs will be happy to have a fan site about them and will let you own the domain as long as it is a fan site and you're not using their name to profit by parking the domain or covering the site with an excessive number of ads.

It is never 100% OK because each celeb will react differently. That being said, most celebrities understand the power of fansites in promoting them and their products.

It's a calculated risk.

•••
^^^great reply. good info for him

I have a couple dot infos as well and have had no problems with them. but to each domain will have its own reactions.

- Robb

•••
Is it a law thing? Is it a violation of some type of law. Because if there are no violations, then who would want to care what the celeb wants?!?!?

I'm assuming it is against the law (trademark,copyright or something like that), but each celeb basically can react to it in several ways as you guys have described.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back