Domain Empire

Famous Names?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Ok, say for example my name was Elizabeth Ann Presley, and I decided I wanted to have my own website. If I registered any of the following, would there be any legal issues?

epresley.com
eapresley.com
epresley.name/eapresley.name

I would be using the site for information about myself (perhaps a blog or something).

Say now, I had a boyfriend who's nickname was Elvis, and I wanted to put details of him on my site. The search engines would easily match the information to elvis presley? Would this cause any problems do you think?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
larky_starz said:
Say now, I had a boyfriend who's nickname was Elvis, and I wanted to put details of him on my site. The search engines would easily match the information to elvis presley? Would this cause any problems do you think?
If I remember correctly, I believe there has been litigation over Elvis Presley's heirs and the use of his name in a domain. I believe the heirs won.

•••
thanks for that response fonzie (cool name by the way, I was just talking to my friend last night about what ever happened to the old Fonz :P)

I'm not specifically asking about Elvis Presley.. however I do have another type celebrity initail & surname which is exactly mine, but not sure whether I could get in trouble for registering it. My opinion is since it is my name, there shouldn't be a problem, but just in case....

•••
If the persons name has been used in Commerce and is trademarked you may lose the domain if you are also using it for commercial means. If you just have a basic site without any ads or profiteering you should be ok.

•••
^^^^^^^^^ He came to the dark side LOL

This would be a situation where usage of the domain comes into play. If you just sit on the domain with a basic site, there is a possibilty you could lose it (for not showing legitimate interest in the name). If you put a site up, t should be active with amyn offereings. Or if you make it a "fan site", keep it current, make no money (thats means do not make one penny off the site regardless of your reasoning.). Put up a message board too.

Do a search on "fan sites" and you will see all the dos and don'ts that I have put up over the years.

•••
Hi, as long as it is just a site about you and is in no way related to the famous Elvis Presley then you will be fine and as long as its not related to the famous Elvis Presley then you can profit from your site if you wish.

•••
It would be a very fine line. But by judging from the OP statements, her intentions may not be completely "above board", so tread carefully.

•••
it would purely be a website about me. It would be my initials and surname thats all. I'm just wondering if I can get in trouble for that. My intentions are completely above board.

•••
That is good then, but keep in mind, there is still a fine line. Good Luck

•••
also depends on what you're using the site for...

•••
are you secretly wishing that your site will get many hits because it happened that the domain name has presley? I doubt it, unless you mention the Elvis presley in your website contents and other keywords.

larky_starz said:
it would purely be a website about me. It would be my initials and surname thats all. I'm just wondering if I can get in trouble for that. My intentions are completely above board.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back