IT.COM

advice .family domain $1,600 renewal fee at hover.com

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

asxforum

Restricted (15-30%)
Impact
A friend has a .family domain with a yearly $1,600 renewal fee at hover.com . which is over the top , is there a way we could reduce the renew fee?

Thanks

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
The only conceivable way I could see paying a premium price is if it was related to a developed website.
As a pure domain investment this type of money yearly, in an obscure extension, makes no sense.

Brad

Cheers thanks for your great advice .

•••
•••
A friend has a .family domain with a yearly $1,600 renewal fee at hover.com . which is over the top , is there a way we could reduce the renew fee?

Thanks
I am not sure what % of that fee is registry (probably most) or registrar markup (probably much less).

All you could do is basically ask the registrar/registry for a discount.

Brad.

•••
•••
And can only find these .family sales?

rose.family899 USD2022-08-08Dynadot
coffee.family9,445 USD2022-01-05Sedo
btc.family8,686 USD2021-11-16Sav.com
defi.family706 USD2021-11-16Sav.com
font.family851 USD2021-07-09
It's basically a dead extension when it comes to resale.

Is this registration a domain investment or for development?

I can't think of a single term in .family that I would pay $1,350 - $1,600 a year for.

If this is a domain investment, that is insanity.

Brad

•••
What about domain development?
The only conceivable way I could see paying a premium price is if it was related to a developed website.
As a pure domain investment this type of money yearly, in an obscure extension, makes no sense.

Brad

•••
•••
Just tried GD and its $1,350 a year .
The registry premium is likely to be the bulk of the price.

Unfortunately, new extensions can gouge like that with premium registration and/or renewal fees.

Brad

•••
•••
Yes sent Porkbun a message .

Whats the best way to add value to the domain if he decides ti keep it?
The best way to add additional value to any domain is development.
Surely there was a plan in place when the domain was acquired.
If your friend does not wish to pay the premium renewal, he can always slap a price tag on it and try to unload it before it expires.
Keep in mind, there's no guarantee it will sell, but it's worth a shot.

•••
•••
And keep in mind that if someone has Xfamily.com, one could always take TheXFamily.com as an alternative, if available. Adding the "the" in front to get the desired .com is often a decent alternative.

•••
And keep in mind that if someone has Xfamily.com, one could always take TheXFamily.com as an alternative, if available. Adding the "the" in front to get the desired .com is often a decent alternative.

Yep its already taken .

•••
Well, there really are plenty of alternatives out there. The reassuring thing, sticking with the .com,.net, and .org options is at least to not have surprises.
Hopefully they have remembered to shut auto-renew off. They will not want that bill arriving unexpectedly.

He owns the hyphen in the com .

•••
Well think thats what happened here , the first year was a normal fee , then came the $1,600 renewal 12 months later . Will check on this .
Yes, it is essential that the autorenew does not happen. The registrar may claim that once renewed, it's not refundable from the registrar.
Hover, incidentally, can be especially quirky. I had domains that I had transferred months prior, and I still received renewal notices from them. They even stated that the domains were on autorenew. Fortunately, I confirmed that the domains had indeed been transferred. They still appeared on the Hover account as if they were still active, though. That was supposedly because they still keep the domain there as a placeholder.
In other words, your friend might not be surprised to still be seeing it in his account, even if he cancels it. If they treat cancelling domains like they treat transfers, It may take months for it fo finallly disappear. For my transfers, it still appeared as if nothing had happened. (Unlike other registrars, like GD, where it says deleted or cancelled.And, for transfers, the entire domain record is actually deleted) There was no delete domain button on Hover, the last time I checked.

•••
Where could we find out how many .family domains are registered?

Thanks

•••

Thanks
Has your friend considered shopping around for a better renewal rate and transferring out? They do vary per registrar.

•••
•••
Just tried GD and its $1,350 a year .

•••
Yes sent Porkbun a message .

Whats the best way to add value to the domain if he decides ti keep it?

•••
It's basically a dead extension when it comes to resale.

Is this registration a domain investment or for development?

I can't think of a single term in .family that I would pay $1,350 - $1,600 a year for.

If this is a domain investment, that is insanity.

Brad

Yes would have to agree .

He does have the dot com hyphen

•••
What about domain development?

•••
Yep its already taken .
Well, there really are plenty of alternatives out there. The reassuring thing, sticking with the .com,.net, and .org options is at least to not have surprises.
Hopefully they have remembered to shut auto-renew off. They will not want that bill arriving unexpectedly.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back