IT.COM

available Fake PR guide

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

B33R

Account Closed (Disallowed)
Impact
After seeing more and more available lists containing domains with fake pagerank (PR), I decided to make this post to help you spot and avoid domains with fake PR.

What is fake PR?
Fake PR is achieved by using a 301 or 302 redirect to point one site to another site with a higher pagerank.

How can I check for fake PR?
You can use the fake PR check tool here.

All you need to do is compare the URL you submitted to the results. If the domain name you entered has fake PR, the results will show a different domain name to the one you submitted.

Inconclusive results?
If it returns "Sorry, we cant verify the pagerank for this page", then Google is unable to determine whether the PR is fake or not.

If this is the case then you can use archive.org's WayBack Machine to view old versions of a site to see whether or not a redirect was being used when the page was archived.

Archive.org
If you use archive.org to view the site's history and the address in the URL changes when you click to view a result, then the domain was being redirected on that date.

Example:
hmdonl.com on February 11th 2005.
http://web.archive.org/web/20050211221142/http://www.hmdonl.com/

In this example the end of that URL changes to another domain name, meaning that on the date the site was archived the domain was being redirected. A good indicator of fake PR.

Are the results 100% conclusive?
There is a chance that the results are not correct.
The fake PR checker uses Google results so if the domain's redirect has been removed and the results are updated on Google, the fake PR checker won't see the previous redirect. That won't happen overnight though.

Archive.org has no recent archives, they're usually at least a year old, so they won't show the most recent redirects. Also there is a chance that the domain could have been used legitimately after it was archived, so don't go back to results from 1999 and expect them to be relevant.

Used in combination though, they're very good at helping you spot fake PR.

Just remember: never buy/reg a domain solely for the PR and if it looks too good to be true (like an unregged PR5) then it usually is! :)

I hope this helps you avoid domains with fake PR!

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
if google is so smart, why can it detect the fake google rank itself?

•••
Great guide :tu: rep added

•••
great post!

Thanks rob !

•••
you really helped me, thanks man!

•••
Thanks people specially that iwebtools dude :)

•••
Nice to see this as a sticky. I have had bought a few domains with PR. For the most part like 3 out 15 or so lost the PR because they were fake. And yes I had used the SEOlogs to verify. But I would recommend for all users to follow the advice and do the research as posted by the OP.

•••
very nice..another usefull way to check this is writing in google :
info:domain.com

•••
•••
•••
Better still
Check Page Rank :imho:

It includes many more info for fake PR checking and Alexa rank, major dir listing ,indexed pages plus backlinks.

•••
wussadotcom said:
It includes many more info for fake PR checking and Alexa rank, major dir listing ,indexed pages plus backlinks.

Warning: fread(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /home/cprws/public_html/index.php on line 151

Warning: fclose(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /home/cprws/public_html/index.php on line 154

•••
If you want to see PR u can also use this
PageRank

•••
Thanks Im looking up many now

•••
is there any tools that can show us about the domain pr??

•••
Best way to ensure that you won't be ripped-off with FAKE PR
is to assume PR0 for all names.
PR is so meaningless now, it should not factor in any decision to buy.

If a name has a high number of Backlinks & adequate traffic that is the best criteria.

•••
agreed with barefoottech. down to the core, it's all about having good quality backlinks which are related to your website content AND not forgetting the number of unique visitors coming to your site.

if anyone notice, the thread starter's account has been closed...

Last edited:
•••
•••
Recently I have seen a site. its not cahced or indexed by the goole. there is any backlinks. but PR is 4.
is it also a fake PR??

I forgot the domain name.

•••
nice information, we can use too

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
sites fake pr by looking for the googlebot, then redirecting it to a high pr site, like yahoo.com.google sees that users actually land on yahoo.com and the pr bar in turn reflects the pr of the yahoo.com rather than your site.

•••
Great post... Good info
Thanks

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back