IT.COM

available Fake PR guide

NameSilo
Watch

B33R

Account Closed (Disallowed)
Impact
After seeing more and more available lists containing domains with fake pagerank (PR), I decided to make this post to help you spot and avoid domains with fake PR.

What is fake PR?
Fake PR is achieved by using a 301 or 302 redirect to point one site to another site with a higher pagerank.

How can I check for fake PR?
You can use the fake PR check tool here.

All you need to do is compare the URL you submitted to the results. If the domain name you entered has fake PR, the results will show a different domain name to the one you submitted.

Inconclusive results?
If it returns "Sorry, we cant verify the pagerank for this page", then Google is unable to determine whether the PR is fake or not.

If this is the case then you can use archive.org's WayBack Machine to view old versions of a site to see whether or not a redirect was being used when the page was archived.

Archive.org
If you use archive.org to view the site's history and the address in the URL changes when you click to view a result, then the domain was being redirected on that date.

Example:
hmdonl.com on February 11th 2005.
http://web.archive.org/web/20050211221142/http://www.hmdonl.com/

In this example the end of that URL changes to another domain name, meaning that on the date the site was archived the domain was being redirected. A good indicator of fake PR.

Are the results 100% conclusive?
There is a chance that the results are not correct.
The fake PR checker uses Google results so if the domain's redirect has been removed and the results are updated on Google, the fake PR checker won't see the previous redirect. That won't happen overnight though.

Archive.org has no recent archives, they're usually at least a year old, so they won't show the most recent redirects. Also there is a chance that the domain could have been used legitimately after it was archived, so don't go back to results from 1999 and expect them to be relevant.

Used in combination though, they're very good at helping you spot fake PR.

Just remember: never buy/reg a domain solely for the PR and if it looks too good to be true (like an unregged PR5) then it usually is! :)

I hope this helps you avoid domains with fake PR!

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Thanks Rob - I've stickied this in here now ;)

Folks - A lot of these List being posted in here with PR (Page Rank) are in fact Fake PR names. If we catch people selling Fake PR names here at NamePros , We may Suspend their accounts.

The fact of the matter is - If you can't prove a domain has a REAL PR , You have no business even mentioning the PR in the sale .....

•••
Thanks Rob. I had a little trouble earlier this week with two domains I thought were legit PR 5 and they turned out not to be. Rep added.

•••
Thanks Rob, this is very helpful.

•••
•••
I just saw on an SEO tutorial to redirect non www to www.

My domain is PR2 on non www, so I did the opposite, so you can't do www anymore.

If the www version got PR2 because it's going to the non www version, would that be considered fake?

•••
Dan Friedman said:

My domain is PR2 on non www, so I did the opposite, so you can't do www anymore.

If the www version got PR2 because it's going to the non www version, would that be considered fake?
The only thing that really matters is that the PR2 on your domain is real. If it is real, it doesn't really matter if you use www or not.

The fake domains use a redirect so the domain appears to have the same PR as another name (when in reality it probably has no PR). So if you have a fake PR domain, you have... a fake PR domain. But, if you have a domain with a real PR2, redirecting www to non-www does not change the fact that your domain has a real PR.

Hope this helps,
-Nitro

•••
well done..thanks for this info.

•••
•••
Thanks for adding this tool been looking for the "fake pr" one for a while. Will use it often and add to your rep beer. :)

•••
Glad y'all find this useful. Thanks for the rep :)

•••
There are several fake PR checkers, but you resumed it very nicely, so rep added :)

•••
I have also found another way to Verify the PR, that it is not a Forwarded domain as well. Just type into Google the full domain. Example www.crashonlaunch.org and you should see the name. If you see a differant name, then this is forwarded. If you see NO name there, it's a Fake!

•••
how do you do it?

Dan Friedman said:

•••
Great post... I was just wondering how I can tell if a domain has fake PR. I almost made a purchase of a fake PR6 name. You are right one thing... it's too good to be true!

I do have one question though... I know pageranking doesn't happen overnight, but how long does it take to archieve a stable page ranking say like a PR5?

Thanks!

•••
Mark said:
Folks - A lot of these List being posted in here with PR (Page Rank) are in fact Fake PR names. If we catch people selling Fake PR names here at NamePros , We may Suspend their accounts.
I tottally agree.

Another thing to be very careful about:

Some PR Checker sites as well as Link Popularity checkers DO log the domains you check, so be careful when checking an unregistered/deleting domain in those sites or you would be telling them: "Hey, I have a great domain here! Register it for you!!!"

This happened to me last week or so as I had to check the PR if fake or not of some expired domains in one of those tools since my desktop software was not working at that time. I checked several and 3 of them had an average PR but well over 50,000 back links. They were not competitive domains and were deleted for several days already. For some reason, I could not register them asap, just tried to do so the next day when... guess... all of the 3 had been registered by the very same person!

Coincidence!? Not at all!!!

The owner of one of one of those sites is much closer to us than we could think.

If interested, just PM me and I'll tell you which that site is.

•••
•••
•••
No problem. :)

Link to fake PR check tool has been updated in the first post.

•••
Very nice contribution, Thanks

•••
Very Useful Guide Thanks B33R

•••
thanks for sharing Rob..
but what exactly is the purpose of a fake
pagerank checker?

•••
Somebody on another forum told me that he will give a PR5 domain (expired, unregistered) name for Some $$.. I got excited and bought it.

The domain is Resources4humans.com
I then registered over namecheap.
It is also Google indexed and has archive history too (http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.Resources4humans.com)

I only checked this two reliable PR tools:
http://www.iwebtool.com/pagerank_checker?domain=www.resources4humans.com
http://livepr.raketforskning.com/?u=www.resources4humans.com

I didn't knew about this http://www.seologs.com/pr-check/pagerank.html?url=www.resources4humans.com

Can you explain whats wrong with this domain? I dont see archive.org redirecting it?

Is it a fake one ?
If yes, how to make it show valid pr on seologs??

Is this domain worth anything now ? Can I Build a new site ?

Humble request, I am a newbie in domain industry, Please answer each question :(

•••
ILU said:
Can you explain whats wrong with this domain? I dont see archive.org redirecting it?
Nothig is wrong. It is a regular domain that was just used as a doorway by another similar site/domain www.resourcesforhumans.com to avoid loosing trafic.

ILU said:
Is it a fake one ?
Yes, it is fake.

ILU said:
If yes, how to make it show valid pr on seologs??
Unfortunatelly, that is not possible, you can not transform a Fake PR into Real PR. For that domain to get a Real PR, you have to start SEO, creating backilinks... all over again from scratch.

ILU said:
Is this domain worth anything now ?
Unlikely, specially because it has no back links at all. Check here: CHECKPAGERANK.NET

Google Yahoo! AllTheWeb AltaVista MSN HotBot Total
26 0 0 0 0 0 26

(The 26 back links at Google go to the other domain, not yours, because it is a Fake PR domain, a redirected one. In brief, they do Not count to your domain.)

ILU said:
Can I Build a new site ?
Yes and no. The other similar site is too similar (?!) and may have copyright/trademarks. To build a new site it must have different content, you could not use the one found at the WayBackMachine.

Last resource: Try to sell it back to the former owners. Unlikely, but who knows...

•••
Unfortunatelly, that is not possible, you can not transform a Fake PR into Real PR. For that domain to get a Real PR, you have to start SEO, creating backilinks... all over again from scratch.

What I mean is I want that SEOlogs should show PR0 - How to do that ?
Do nameserver changes will help ?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back