IT.COM

Fake PayPal claim after payment for CCNYS.COM domain name

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Dondomainer

domainnamescom.comTop Member
Impact
I will not beat around the bush, this is the real buyer information.

Buyer Name: Milton Silber
Buyer Email: [email protected]
Transaction Amount: $850.00 USD
Transaction Date: Sep 4, 2016

( Phone Number : 347-668-9186 )

Buyer's Address:
183 wilson st
Brooklyn , NY 11211
United States

Claim datail.

The buyer has filed a chargeback with his or her credit card company stating that the buyer did not authorize the payment.

The credit card company has reversed the payment, and we've placed a temporary hold on the funds while we review this case. If this transaction is covered by protection against unauthorized payments, we'll lift the temporary hold and restore the funds to your account. If the transaction is not eligible, we'll return the funds to the buyer or the rightful owner.

For this transaction to be covered by protection against unauthorized payments, please provide proof that you shipped the item through an approved shipper to the address on the Transaction Details page.

If the item is not a tangible good, this transaction is not eligible for protection against unauthorized payments. However, depending on the information you provide, we may be able to help you recover your funds by disputing the chargeback with the credit card company. Please provide us with information about your case. We'll let you know if we can dispute the chargeback with the credit card company.

---------

But what Mr Milton Silber forgets, is the reason of payment.

ccnys.png

Attachments

• ccnys.png
    ccnys.png
    25.8 KB · Views: 157
  • ccnys.png
    ccnys.png
    25.8 KB · Views: 136
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The name, phone, email and address are real.

His accent was from India

Well his name does not sound Indian to me at all.

•••
We have to keep in mind that 'paypal' is not an 'escrow' company. They are just fluid easy bank that came out existence because of red tape and rules of banks. They always protect the buyer because they are the ones that are 'paying'. To expect that paypal act like escrow is not fair.

So, there is always a risk when you deal with the buyer directly using Paypal. That is why third party escrow services are there like escrow.com/sedo.com - because they guarantee either you will get the name or money (to both buyer and seller). They charge you for the service and hence can guarantee both sides - the 'purpose' of escrow.

•••
I'm thinking it's a case where someone gained access to a stranger's Paypal account in which case the chargeback would unfortunately for OP be legitimate.

Should be happy this is a domain that as far as I can tell is not worth anywhere near $850 (or maybe even $8.50?) But it still sucks because you thought that money was yours and now it's likely on its way back out.

One weird thing is the buyer's choice of domain. Why but a 5L Chinese when you could get a pronounceable 4L or something with reseller value on par with the $850?

•••
why make it personal Stub? who here wants to rely on "belief" when comes to transacting with domains, chargebacks and potentially losing a lot of money.

be glad you will hear it from the mouth of the beast, have it settled forever, and no one will ever come ask you for refund if any of it ever fails.

This wasn't intended to be personal. If it came off that way, it's probably because I omitted a :) . It wasn't a "belief" statement. I don't usually make those statements here on NP (without stating such). And it has is now been confirmed by Jackson.

•••
This wasn't intended to be personal. If it came off that way, it's probably because I omitted a :) . It wasn't a "belief" statement. I don't usually make those statements here on NP (without stating such). And it has is now been confirmed by Jackson.

i agree! it is due to absence of :)
I know your top man... but hey.. even top man can have a bad hair day haha.

yes I am glad its confirmed too. now if anyone ever gets payment reversed, they can always ask "whats up", and refer to this thread ;)

cheers

•••
i agree! it is due to absence of :)
I know your top man... but hey.. even top man can have a bad hair day haha.

yes I am glad its confirmed too. now if anyone ever gets payment reversed, they can always ask "whats up", and refer to this thread ;)

cheers

I never have a bad hair day because I don't have any hair :) Why does a top man have the feeling that he's always sitting at the bottom of a pile of s***? :)

Last edited:
•••
Lesson here is for domain transactions over a 100 odd bucks use escrow.com. but ppal usually can solve the issues
If they won't validate I.d. to 3rd party escrow svcs don't sell.

•••
Stop, stop, if the card is stolen this is the bank problem.
Or you want to tell if somebody stole my credit card and bought furniture from the store, they can make the take back furniture and give back money?
I dint think so.
And if the payment was made by child or family member, so this is thier family problem.
Ok, this is domain, but it could me food, furniture, car or what ever else.
So, all of these stores have to take thier product back?

•••
An option to avoid chargebacks with PayPal is only allowing payment to your PayPal.me username, and ONLY as a Friends/Family gift.

This is a newer service they've only had in place for a year or so.

•••
An option to avoid chargebacks with PayPal is only allowing payment to your PayPal.me username, and ONLY as a Friends/Family gift.

This is a newer service they've only had in place for a year or so.

Not right.
This March I paid "as gift" to some guy I knew him before, I paid about 60€ but never recieved any products.
I called to PayPal and told I knew him before and acepted this payment option, and also could show them our WhatsApp chats to see he blocked me and stoped answer my requests about the package.
They said no need any chat proof, just asked him for a track number and I recieved money back in 10 days.

•••
Are you sure it was via Paypal.me? Payments using Friends and Family cannot be disputed.

•••
I dont know what is paypal.me, but if you mean a well known PayPay and the payment option "send as gift", then YES.
I sent the payment as "friend or family gift" and after 1 month called them (because had no dispute option as it was a gift) and explain the situation and recieved money back.

•••
They must have looked at yours on a "case by case" basis, and you likely didn't use PayPal.me. PayPal.me Friends and Family payment looks like it's in favor of protecting the seller, because the only way to get a payment reversed is to contact the recipient and asking for a refund.

source: https://www.paypal.me/pages/faqs

•••
Ok.
But I also had no option for dispute, so I called directly to PayPal, and yes I have a good history as buyer and as seller, so maybe this fact also affect on thier desision.

•••
I'm thinking it's a case where someone gained access to a stranger's Paypal account in which case the chargeback would unfortunately for OP be legitimate.

Nobody stolen anything, the transaction was authenticated.

Should be happy this is a domain that as far as I can tell is not worth anywhere near $850 (or maybe even $8.50?) But it still sucks because you thought that money was yours and now it's likely on its way back out.

One weird thing is the buyer's choice of domain. Why but a 5L Chinese when you could get a pronounceable 4L or something with reseller value on par with the $850?

I don't know how to react to your comment, I'll just say, that's not cool man. You have missed the whole point of the topic.

However, in my next sale, i promise consult the price with you.

Last edited:
•••
Nobody stolen anything, the transaction was authenticated.

I don't know what "the transaction was authenticated" means, but the surname Silber occurs most frequently as a % of the population in Israel (and not at all in India), and there is a large Jewish population in Brooklyn.

http://forebears.io/surnames/silber

Do you believe your buyer, who has an Indian accent, is really named Milton Silber?

•••
I don't know what "the transaction was authenticated" means, but the surname Silber occurs most frequently as a % of the population in Israel (and not at all in India), and there is a large Jewish population in Brooklyn.

http://forebears.io/surnames/silber

Do you believe your buyer, who has an Indian accent, is really named Milton Silber?

the whole problem was already solved, according paypal, that was the real name.

•••
@gipson So you get to keep the money?

•••
•••
its too bad escrow.com does not offer paypal.
but if ecop offers it and alos offers seller protection asgainst chargeback, then this is an even better alternative than going through godaddy, cause as far as I know godaddy does not protect from chargebacks, and they just get you the domain back. but maybe @Joe Styler can confirm this? thank you.
GoDaddy clears the payment which is why it takes 5 days before the payment is made to the seller. One of the many things we do is make sure the money is valid for the sale. We have a pretty good team in place and a lot of experience with payment issues so we have very few as a result. If for some reason someone does a chargeback we are able to get the domain name back since it is with us and we know exactly what happened. The bottom line is using a marketplace with safety guards in place protects everyone so using something like GoDaddy or Escrow.com will protect you as the seller or buyer.

•••
GoDaddy clears the payment which is why it takes 5 days before the payment is made to the seller. One of the many things we do is make sure the money is valid for the sale. We have a pretty good team in place and a lot of experience with payment issues so we have very few as a result. If for some reason someone does a chargeback we are able to get the domain name back since it is with us and we know exactly what happened. The bottom line is using a marketplace with safety guards in place protects everyone so using something like GoDaddy or Escrow.com will protect you as the seller or buyer.

I guess the obvious question would be. What would happen if the chargeback occured after 60 days when the domain has transferred? Do you "eat" the loss, or is it charged back to the seller?

•••
Unfortunately you will lose the money. Doesn't matter how hard you try and provide paypal all kind of proofs. In the end the chargeback will became valid. Samething happened to me thrice. Paypal will keep asking you delivery receipt or tracking number etc. They don't care about your proofs. That's the reason i quit paypal for handsome amount of payments.

•••
Unfortunately you will lose the money. Doesn't matter how hard you try and provide paypal all kind of proofs. In the end the chargeback will became valid. Samething happened to me thrice. Paypal will keep asking you delivery receipt or tracking number etc. They don't care about your proofs. That's the reason i quit paypal for handsome amount of payments.

Again, the problem has been resolved, I have not lost money or the domain.

•••
I guess the obvious question would be. What would happen if the chargeback occured after 60 days when the domain has transferred? Do you "eat" the loss, or is it charged back to the seller?
we eat it, part of the reason to use us.

•••
we eat it, part of the reason to use us.

wow. that's quite amazing. thanks for confirming this.
I remember speaking to one of your reps in past and he did say you guarnatee recovery of domain upon chargeback, within that 60 day frame.. but I couldn't remmeber if this convo extended into whether you eat the chargeback if past 60 days. thanks for making this official for us all. like you say, your team is very good, so you virtually never have those situations to pay from your pocket.. but.. it is good to know in back of the mind that you do go all the way in your support of seller, just as escrow.com and couple other higher end payment services. that'll be one more reason to stick with you for sales and payments then! for me at least.

cheers

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back