Dynadot

debate Facebook trying to steal my domains.

NameSilo
Watch

mani0307

Account Suspended (Warnings)
Impact
Hello everyone!
Facebook.com trying to steal my domains: NoviCoin.co and NoviPay.co and they sent me 2nd notice:
Screenshot_20210908_220737.jpg

Screenshot_20210908_220750.jpg

I noticed NoviPay.com currently for sale at dan price $699,999
And many companies using "Novi".

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
pick-your-battles.jpg

No pun intended... :whistle:

Last edited:
•••
I hadn't heard of NOVI until now. I read this thread, I Googled novi and it came up with "novi from Facebook" as the top result (novi.com).

I agree with @Zanok in that you should pick your battles and this isn't one of them.

This is what happens when people jump on these bandwagons (reminds me of "Libra")... everyone jumps on these things and makes no money out of it. I'd recommend creating your own thing, it's honestly easier, more satisfying and not least more lucrative.

•••
Last edited:
•••
If Facebook has a trademark and you registered after there trademark was filed they are in the right fyi.

•••
Unfortunately, I have to side with Facebook on this one.

"Novi" is a registered trademark of Facebook, inc. for use with financial services. Your best course of action is to comply with the request and transfer the domain to Facebook's team. Any judge in a court of law is very likely going to side with Facebook here. This is not a battle you want to fight in my opinion.

novi-trademark.png

Screenshot Source: Trademarkia

•••
From the notice and FB, it's you who is trying to steal their domains not the other way around.

I think you waited too long (second notice) to give them the domains. It's a lose lose situation.

Good luck and stay out of troubles.

•••
I hate FB but they may be right.
If FB created this TM and you reg this names based on that, give them the names.
Also make sure the e-mail comes from the proper domain and not some scammer trying to trick you so you give the names free of charge.

•••
•••
Facebook is very AGGRESSIVE protect IP.

“NoviCoin” is their coin! stop copying them.

They even own Novi.com!

Samer

Last edited:
•••
Facebook actually put a registrar out of business over hiding the identity of cybersquatter who blatantly abuse FB IP, Nick!

Amazing, for one to pick a name that blatant to make me pick Facebook’s side. LOL

Samer

Last edited:
•••
Turn the names over as this is classic cybersquatting. You should know better. They have a NOVI trademark in the financial category. NOVICOIN cannot be used in any other category and you have no leg to stand on but too much pride. You bought these hoping they would come calling and they did.

•••
Ok if you all are saying it's my mistake that i buy domains due to Novi c.om but believe me i don't know Novi is a fb TM before fb legal team email me is a TM.
Anyway thanks for your thoughts, now i will not defend these domains.
You are my senior domainers and i always learn from yours...
Btw: it's my first TM issue in my 4 years domaining career.

•••
Speaking from experience I had an affiliate domain that could have been percieved as at least borderline infringement I lucked into selling it to ESPN's brand management company but most of the time it's best to avoid any such risk. Honestly I had a previous partnership with ESPN for a sports media site may have played a role in them playing nice. Just don't squat on IP is my advice.

•••
it might depend on where fb has their tm. i think mani0307 is in pakistan. fb's tm may not be outside of the usa and europe. it's all in the datails. btw fb nor anyone else can claim sole ownership of the word...novi. anyone can use it, fb only has tm protection in a certain niche. Novi is a digital wallet created by Facebook. It allows users to easily send and receive money in Diem, DiemUSD, or XUS digital currencies. Novi Financial, a regulated financial company, is a subsidiary of Facebook, Inc. and is headquartered in Menlo Park, California. i think that novicoinwallet.info may be for sale on gd. are they going to try to intimidate him as well? i think the owner is in india. they might be trying to scare you in to giving it up. epik registered it for you. they contacted you through epik. maybe you should contact epik and see what they have to say first. http://www.novicoinwallet.info/

•••
Facebook IP & DNS Enforment Group
Legal Dept.
Facebook, Inc.

Maybe watch this thread

•••
NoviPay.co first registered 2020/05 and "Novi" TM published date is 2020/08

•••
Well that changes my opinion just never thought was 2020 assuming years. Mind you it costs more to defend than what you can get out of it. Only you know whether it is coincidence or squatting when coming out with the accusations.

Last edited:
•••
I have no idea why don't you guys state the obvious and "illuminate" the op.

Let me help...

This is clearly TM infringement and you are a sad TM squatter.

End of the story.

•••
So you can still choose which countries you'd liked protection in but you can do it as one application. So slight nuance there I think, you can choose one more many countries and you're not guaranteed worldwide protection but you can have protection in all of those countries subject to each individual one's registration procedures...

That's correct. The post to which you were responding is incorrect. The WIPO Madrid system application is just a uniform filing mechanism to establish an initial filing date for a single application which can then be further filed in various trademark offices around the world (if they are signatories to the relevant treaty).

I personally know the guy who got a check from Facebook for $100,000 a piece for each below.

Fcebook.com
Faceook.com
Facebok.com

Whoever told you that is a liar.

---------
https://www.wipo.int/amc/en/domains/search/text.jsp?case=d2010-1247

Facebook, Inc. v. Franz Bauer
Case No. D2010-1247

1. The Parties
The Complainant is Facebook, Inc. of Palo Alto, California, United States of America, represented by Cooley LLP, United States of America.

The Respondent is Franz Bauer of Munich, Germany.

2. The Domain Name and Registrar
The disputed domain name <facebok.com> is registered with EuroDNS S.A.
------------

•••
NP should add a new rule by not allow "XXXX steal my names" in the title.

•••
Are these your best domains?
How many of such do you have?

•••
to understand TM clearly, i see Novi have been trademarked by many companies since birth of the internet. And i don't see any trademark on "novicoin" yet.

So i really don't see a reasonable excuse for Facebook to claim the domain name. If you input "novi" on trademarkia you will see other companies already trademarked to purpose of financial services.

•••
This thread is not going the way OP expected.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back