IT.COM

Facebook goes with .XYZ

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

RU

I'm out of domaining. ~RusselAccount Closed (Requested)
Impact
xyz fb.png

http://stream.hacktv.xyz/qandawithmark-ext

Related Content: Mark Zuckerberg just used an .XYZ domain in announcement

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
A lot of startups will use .XYZ.

•••
Hacktv.xyz seems to be kept by gandi.net (not sure whats up there).
As far as I can tell, Facebook is kept by Facebook.

So what we have here is probably a portal of sorts offered by a service through an quasi existing domain name that actually has no real bearing or use by Facebook other then a means to an end???

Just a thought.

Cheers

I think they just used one of their employees names, it's regged to - https://www.linkedin.com/pub/colleen-henry/56/248/3b5

•••
If folks knew or cared to remember the in depth branding history of let's say .mobi or go further back to .tv branding and re-branding efforts you folks would take .xyz with a grain of salt. Tons and tons of big brands like VISA were highlighted for using .mobi during it's "promotional period" and almost overnight, they all disappeared. .xyz is no different and it too will crumble with the bandwagon domain speculators taking a solid hit. Everyone is out there saying "it's on $1.99" why not gamble? Well, because it's a stupid gamble. Like most domain hype, decent keywords will be flipped among domainers. Daniel Negari is the only one riding this all the way to the bank... as well as he should. People aren't building day to day brands on xyz. It's a use and lose extension.

All in all.... all this .xyz hoopla has given great exposure to the GTLD concept both to the consumer and the marketing masses. It has presented a great opportunity for domainers to educate people about these 'crazy extensions'. Use that opportunity to teach and for future capitalization in the the GTLD space. As a premium GTLD investor, I could not have asked for a better GTLD PR exposure then from the two biggest tech giants in the world! Sure .xyz is having their day in the sun... and good for them. But when the cash grab ends many did try to warn.

•••
Come on, you cant honestly compare xyz to mobi, wasn't it originally for like mobile phones? You could see where that was headed from the beginning, yeah a lot of people did jump on the bandwagon. What I don't get is turning a blind eye to xyz, you guys should be taking advantage of this right now, not when it initially came out, but now and a couple of months from now, im not saying go out and buy a boat load of domains, get 1 or 2 very good ones if you must. Can't lose.

Maybe you wont make a lot of money in the end, but for 99 cents, it's a drop in the bucket. I think it has more to do with .coms to be frank, a lot of people have invested in it and if xyz continues to go on the path it is going, people will lose some money, cant deny that. Will it happen? Probably not anytime soon, but if it's being billed as a direct option to the availability problem with coms, then it's imo a much better gamble than all the previous extensions combined.

Last edited:
•••
Yeah, but they have already registered 900K, $1 domains. So, all the Premium ones are already gone and the second tier are worthless.

•••
I start to like my 75 .XYZ more and more.

•••
I just hand reg. xyzvs.com ($9) and comvs.xyz ($1). Who knows? Daniel Negari may offer me Million Dollars for them. ;):P

Last edited:
•••
Yeah, this is a bit of a letdown. Only using some employee's domain for what looks like a one off video stream. Home page doesn't load, why would it, nothing there. Only page indexed was the one with the stream, nothing else - https://www.google.com/search?q=site:hacktv.xyz&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Eh, sorry guys.

Zuckerburg understands the future, .xyz would have never been used without his approval. One off or not, still good exposure for .xyz. :xf.wink:

So you're saying that he only thinks the future for these are 1 page, 1 day events, that happened for an hour or so on a Tuesday afternoon?

Last edited:
•••
Zuckerburg understands the future, .xyz would have never been used without his approval. One off or not, still good exposure for .xyz. :xf.wink:

•••
using some employee's domain for what looks like a one off video stream.

I said one off or not, you're the one that said it looks like a one off. I like .xyz and I'm pretty sure many know where you're trying to go with me again. Later... :P

•••
double post

Not a double post :xf.rolleyes: but rather you deleted your post after my reply, chill out man and let's all get along .

Thread back on track //.

Actually you edited 2 posts after my reply, please. O.o

Last edited:
•••
•••
And that was the last day we ever saw the owner of Hack.tv around the forums....

•••
•••
main url not working it means some thing bad in this domain.

•••
I just registered Validation.xyz

•••
joke or not.. but all of Silicon Valley loves .xyz.
This is EXACTLY why we bought Vehicles.xyz (Estibot over $1 million for the .com) and said here that for a few bucks everyone should own ONE great .xyz just in case it hits. I get a kick out of posts re "Facebook should have done this or that-the extension is terrible etc." re .xyz Wake up folks-this is a $100 billion firm-I think they know exactly what they're doing.

•••
I think they just used one of their employees names, it's regged to - https://www.linkedin.com/pub/colleen-henry/56/248/3b5

I saw that name as the person of contact but looking at the background of the person and reading the WHOIS, this may tell us a lot.
1) the email is erroneous
2) The whois information is listed as "Obfuscated Whois"

So I am assuming that this is their version of "privacy" for the whois?

Anyway, the name is 10 days old. It was NOT purchased by Facebook.
It seems it is going to be utilized by the name listed above (Colleen Henry) which seems to be their "Live Video Streaming" person.

As much as I like nTLDs and believe that there is profit to be made there, lets be honest for a second.
Facebook is in no way endorsing any extension at the moment.
*IF* they came out during that live stream and announce that they are going to build a new multi million/billion dollar platform on (such and such extension... XYZ for instance) then at that time I would wholeheartedly agree that we are witnessing a game change.
At the moment, if we are honest to ourselves... their use of this extension (better said, their live stream tech's use of this extension) will probably go off without even a blip in the public's eye.
We (as domainers) are a tune to be looking out for extensions and pick up on them rather quickly. Its what we look for.
Lets face it... there is probably about (just a guess) 1 out of every 2,000 people are domainers.
The average layperson (for example my wife), will not even notice the extension being used. They will just blindly click on the link and follow it to its end destination.

Facebook, Google, and other big companies have used different extensions in the past for one reason or another (.CO comes to mind). Even with their use of the extension(s), none of them really became the NEXT BIG THING.
I very much doubt that this will lead to the next big thing as well, that is UNLESS FB comes out with an announcement as listed above.

Just my thoughts.

Cheers

Last edited:
•••
Nothing is more exciting then to think that that .99 cents .xyz is going to make you some big money. I don't blame folks for having big dreams. But for those who've been around for well over a decade and have seen this a number of times with new extensions, big brand marketing, grab cash pushes, over zealous expectations... you just take it with a grain of salt. The guys who are saying .99 cents is a drop in a bucket don't know how to value a dollar in this game. Some people are just quite happy in their dream however delusional. I wish folks well and just let this be a cautionary tale.

People have turned this thing into an .xyz versus .com coup de ta; as though .com investors are posting warnings and caution to .xyz investors out of fear.... far from the case. I like GTLDs and have great ones with high hopes but .xyz is just a bad extension fueled by momentary and fleeting PR. I can write pages of what went down with .mobi Visa, Delta, Sedo, Sprint, TMobile, Godaddy, etc.... but I wouldn't want to waste .xyz believer's time with facts. Facts can be rather annoying and an inconveniencing. Good luck!

•••
•••
•••
I'm just a little fish with big dreams and a 3 second memory, but .xyz just feels like a spam site to me.

I'm just a little fish with big dreams and a 3 second memory, but .xyz just feels like a spam site to me.

•••

I dont think so.
Is Google a spammer? http://ABC.XYZ

•••
I dont think so.
Is Google a spammer? ABC .XYZ

It made sense given their new company name, the hack achieved, the unavailability of better extensions such as abc .com/alphabet .com (which they would inherently prefer) and that this is not for a commercial site.

When your Google you can get ABC .OOO and people would know about it, and threads would be talking of investing in . ooo. as your brand credibility will carry the extension rather than the other way round.

All I'm saying is for my business if I get an e-mail through from anything .xyz I'm going to be more dubious than other extensions. The extension doesn't give brand credibility as of yet for an unknown entity or new startup.

Of course if the e-mail is from abc .xyz, knowing it is google is a different story.

That doesn't mean that their won't be a few winners in the extension, but just because google took abc .xyz in a very specific one-off purchase which is only functional for that example and facebook have now used hacktv .xyz it doesn't authenticate the extension to generate a swing in it's value. It is just google utilizing a admittedly great hack and facebook for a throwup link.

But I would love to be wrong, and wish you the best in sales. The startup investment is nominal enough to try.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back