IT.COM

analysis Facebook Buys Giphy for $400M

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
•••
Facebook be buying everything nowadays

•••
•••
I say that's the power of developed made-up name and established business.

Made-up name Giphy.com worth $400 Million meanwhile Gify.com worth $0 (Undeveloped)

Giphy Reg'd in 2012
Gify Reg'd in 2002

That's the power of idea and execution.

•••
Why so cheap??:xf.wink:

Last edited:
•••
Facebook, buy Google and be done with already :alien2:

•••
Made-up name Giphy.com worth $400 Million meanwhile Gify.com worth $0 (Undeveloped)
I totally agree that this was the sale of a great idea, well developed, and widely used, and not the name per se. AirBnB would sell for a ton if for sale, not because that is an awesome name, but because they had an awesome idea which they developed effectively.

I think you are a little hard on gify, though. Definitely not worth only $0 imo as a 4L, pronounceable name. By the way, if you go to its lander, nice list of brand upgrades showing big name brands and what they went from and to. I have no idea who the seller is, or if she is on NamePros, but a great lander experience, in my opinion.

Bob

Last edited:
•••
•••
Thanks for sharing. i see the .ca redirectš to the king

•••
That is a great acquisition by Facebook and, proof as others have noted, that a quality idea and the top notch execution of the idea can produce an outstanding company.

•••
I totally agree that this was the sale of a great idea, well developed, and widely used, and not the name per se. AirBnB would sell for a ton if for sale, not because that is an awesome name, but because they had an awesome idea which they developed effectively.

I think you are a little hard on gify, though. Definitely not worth only $0 imo as a 4L, pronounceable name. By the way, if you go to its lander, nice list of brand upgrades showing big name brands and what they went from and to. I have no idea who the seller is, or if she is on NamePros, but a great lander experience, in my opinion.

Bob

IMO it's almost impossible to launch a new "big brand business" on a similar sounding "established brand". That's why my valuation for Gify.com = $0.

Some other examples;

readit.com (Undeveloped) $0
Reddit.com (Developed)
tweet.com (Undeveloped) $0
Twitter.com (Developed)

Even If I had billions of dollars of marketing budget I would not invest in similar sounding Undeveloped names unless it was something like insta.com then I might think about launching a business.

•••
•••
Back