IT.COM

new gTLD Facebook bought the domain Work.Place for $50,000+

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Arpit131

Top Member
Impact
The domain name Work.Place was sold and the buyer is Facebook that launched today its enterprise-focused messaging and social networking service to market under the name Workplace.

The seller Edward Alfert (@ealfert) has not revealed the sales price but since I had a very small part in the deal I can make an educated guess.

Edward asked for my opinion on what price to quote and also told me that he thought the buyer was Facebook. I gave my opinion but don’t know what happened next and what the negotiations were.

I believe the sales price was at the $50,000-$75,000 range. Probably closer to $50,000.

Source

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Let me be sincere...

WorkPlace will generate revenues of 1 billion dollars yearly. Facebook would never abandon the brand Workplace as they already launched MarketPlace.

They will buy Workplace.com too, which is now owned by a company, to protect this brand. Still Work.Place is more beautiful than WorkPlace.com and FB wants only the best.

If I would been in seller shoes, I would not sold it with less than 10 million USD.
You might be right, I agree..but you know..when you are in seller shoes..sometimes it is better to grab 50k, comparing to wait for much better offer. Mainly when you are seller of new gTLDs..market is still very very unpredictable. I think he did well, mainly because when you check his portfolio, he has another tens and tens of excellent names which are easily comparable to the sold one. So he will for sure survive to letting one go :)

•••
•••
•••
Workplace.nl

Freshly caught

•••
:-D

I'm still in the red, but getting close. This has not been my only new gTLD sale in the past 2 years.
You showed brilliant taste and class by selecting work.place . It's a masterpiece. Your customer is in your debt.

•••
:-D

I'm still in the red, but getting close. This has not been my only new gTLD sale in the past 2 years.

Awesome sale and well deserved. I am one of the very few domainers who has actually shown a profit on gtld with not very many registrations but simply pure luck.
You and I are in the very small clique of domainers to sell a new gtld for $xx,xxx out of the millions of gtlds that have been registered. The only other sales of significance are registry and registry promoted conference sales.
Make of that what you will.

Spend the money unwisely! :-D

•••
•••
I wish that someday I will sell a domain name at that price.

•••
I have

MEN.place
Flights.place

•••
It is classified as a premium and yearly renewal is $42.

I submitted an EAP pre-order at Godaddy and someone else did too. So the domain went to auction and I won the auction for $164.
I'm surprised they let it go so cheap. I would think this would be a name they would put the premium tag on and hold it themselves at a five figure price. Congrats on a great sale.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back