IT.COM

advice Expiring Tomorrow Domain List ?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Does anyone have a source for an "upcoming expiration" list ?

Not dropping.

Soon to expire / expiring tomorrow.

Is there such a thing?

I guess technically it would be a "might expire list".

Or - I could settle for "expired today".

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
That's a bit of technical hurdle, may be there are companies who can work on that.

•••
After all these years it occurs to me that domains that are called "expired domains" are really domains that are about to enter redemption status, have already entered redemption, or are about to drop.

A list of domains that literally "just expired" looks to not be something widely available or available at all.

I suppose it would require a program that monitors registration dates on it's own - not looking to the registrars to gather the list.

•••
Reminds me I did have a favorite site that since died like perhaps owner used it daily up till couple of years ago was pretty good tool. Loads of resources on premiumamedomain if your looking for domain related. Also with ExpireDomainNames looking for something to publish...

Last edited:
•••
Well .. there are about 330 million domains in existence ... I'd think a significant portion auto-renew on the last day or are left to expire .. so effectively that would be about a quarter million domains in your list every day if you include ccTLDs (total guestimate)

Just to give you an idea .. my daily lists of about 500 expired domains at auction every day represent about 1% of domains at GoDaddy (~50,000 on average more or less, today was 53,508) ... while GoDaddy in turn represents about 50% of domains (GoDaddy Auctions is likely a little more than 50% because they also auction expiring domains from a few other registrars).

So every day there are likely about 100,000 domains that have made it 35 days after expiration without being renewed (Expired domains go to auction on the 35th day after expiration at GoDaddy).

As far as I know, no such -1 or zero day list exists .. why do you want them? You'd likely end up with a TON of false positives ... particularly for the better names .. those are the ones most likely to be renewed .. and by significant ratios.

•••
...As far as I know, no such -1 or zero day list exists .. why do you want them? You'd likely end up with a TON of false positives ... particularly for the better names .. those are the ones most likely to be renewed .. and by significant ratios.

Thanks for the detailed response! I've been mostly focused on hand-regs in the past but recently I'm looking through expiring / dropping lists everyday. I googled "domains expiring today" and only got the usual expiring auctions which where domains after around 30 days. That was eye opening because I just assumed an expired list could be had for all domains that expired that day. Thought a freshly expired list would allow backorders to be put in earlier or to keep a closer eye on what's "coming up next" so to speak. The "about to expire" idea is dumb lol I admit but what about a list of "freshly expired" ?

What's the soonest after a domain expires that a list could be curated you think?

•••
I think the main problem with your question is that a domains actual "Expiration Date" is more a billing date than it is a technical change in any way.

In theory the registrant still owns the rights to the domain for weeks after the on-paper expiration date. So while they are theoretically expired, they aren't really in practice ... or at least not from the perspective of us domainers who want those domains.

A good way to see "what's coming up next" coincidentally enough would be to follow my own daily lists here at NamePros and at NameCult. The domains at auction are 35 days after the on-paper expiration date. The closeouts are days 36 to 40. GoDaddy hands the rest of the .coms back to Verisign around the 42nd day .. then I think it's 30+5 more days until deletion (aka drop).

That being said .. most of the best domains expired (at zero days after "expiration") are renewed well before day 35. Then most of the best of the remaining ones are taken at auction. Then most of the remainder after that are taken at closeout. Very few investor-quality domains actually make it past that point.

That said .. there are obviously the other half of domains that don't go through GoDaddy Auctions ... those likely have at least some better domains making it to the drop .. I already have my hands full with the GD Auction names .. so really haven't looked at the rest.

So in the end any "fresh" list would really have far too many false positives. Besides .. if you're only looking to acquire at handreg pricing, then you can't do that until ~75-80 after the on-paper expiration date .. so unless you were going on vacation and wanted to go through the lists before you go, there really isn't any benefit to getting an early list ... there's only the disadvantage of an increasing number of quality false positives the further you go back towards day zero.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back